Accuracy of Sportline S7 HRM/Calorie Counter

Options
Hi,

I just bought a Sportline S7 HRM/calorie counter from Walmart. I've only used it twice, but both times I've used it, it showed (to me anyway) an excessively high amount of calories burned. During my P90X Kenpo session, it displayed 976 calories burned. The second time I used it was during my P90X Chest & Back/Ab Ripper session and it displayed 1122 calories burned. I update the HRM about every 30 to 45 seconds to ensure an accurate reading.

Now, my question is, how accurate is this? I've read that the average calorie lost for a P90X session is 600 calories. My two readings (976 and 1122) seem really high. Does anyone out there have any experience with the Sportline S7? Does burning 1000 calories in a P90X session seem excessively high? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

FarmerTed

Replies

• netty
    netty Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have the same HRM and I'm wondering how accurate it is as well :-)
  • firepixie
    Options
    I use a polar f4 with a chest strap (chest strap is suppose to be most accurate). I have also done p90x and your numbers are more than double mine. About 400 to 450 cals tops for a work and lower for some like the core one and the cardio one. Does your HRM have a chest strap? I am also 150lb female, so depending on your stats, you may burn more than I would, but I doubt it would be 600 calories more.
  • lilymae71
    lilymae71 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I wore my chest strap Sportline Duo concurrently with a BodyBugg for 2 weeks and for exercise sessions, the BB told me the exact same calorie burn as the MUCH CHEAPER Sportline.

BB tracks your all-day calorie burn but when you sync it, you see when it goes far more active (it's graphed) and that's the sessions I'm talking about. I returned my $200 BB.
  • jmilz83
    jmilz83 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just bought the same watch. I just completed Tapout XT's Yoga XT and mine said I burned 465 calories in 51 minutes. I was a little worried that was high because it was running off a calorie every 20 second, but I think that is based on your last heart rate reading. After my heart rate dropped down to the low 80s in was taking a calorie off every 50 seconds. I'm not saying its perfectly accurate, but I don't know if it's obscenely off either. Hope this helps.