Good Peanut Butter

Options
What is a lower fat...high protein and still yummy peanut butter...i know low cal is virtually impossible...

And Yes i have tried and do like PB2...but sometimes...just sometimes I want "Real" PB and J....

Thanks

Replies

• ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Hi Giggles! (your name makes me giggle!:laugh: ) Anyways, I am a peanut butter crazy person, eat it every day for lunch. I have just come across the best thing, Peter Pan WHIPPED peanut butter. I has the lowest cals. so far that I can find at 150 a serving, and taste amazing! Add some raw honey with that, its the best!
    Hope this helps!
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    skippy creamy natural is really good! and with no oil on the top!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I love Crazy Richard's. Its cheap, and the ingredients read like this....

Ingredients: Peanuts.
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I love Crazy Richard's. Its cheap, and the ingredients read like this....

Ingredients: Peanuts.
    I love simpe ingredients. Why add anything else to PB? BTW, I love your quote. I'm gonna start using that as my mantra. Hope you don't mind me swiping it from you.
  • fearlessliving
    fearlessliving Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You should look for peanut butter that just has peanuts in it and nothing else. This way you know you aren't getting all the extra junk. The real peanut butter may be higher in fat, but you're getting the good fats! Look in the organic section of your grocery store and see what they have. I eat Maranatha brand. Try to find a "no stir" option, otherwise it will most likely have palm oil in it, which is bad saturated fat. You can also try almond butter (made from almonds instead of peanuts). It takes a little getting used to at first, but it's not bad.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    The fat in Peanut Butter is good fats that your body needs. The low fat mantra that is still being preached is not healthy for the human body.

The best peanut butter is ALL NATURAL peanut butter that has only peanuts and salt as the ingredients. You can't get any better than that, unless you make your own, which will still be the same ingredients.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    You should look for peanut butter that just has peanuts in it and nothing else. This way you know you aren't getting all the extra junk. The real peanut butter may be higher in fat, but you're getting the good fats! Look in the organic section of your grocery store and see what they have. I eat Maranatha brand. Try to find a "no stir" option, otherwise it will most likely have palm oil in it, which is bad saturated fat. You can also try almond butter (made from almonds instead of peanuts). It takes a little getting used to at first, but it's not bad.

Palm Oil is not bad for you as long as it is not hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated.

And contrary to popular belief, saturated fat is not bad for you.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    For what it is worth......

I am not a peanut butter snob, or the "peanut butter police", BUT the last time I looked at their labels, Skippy and Peter Pan are NOT real peanut butter, just a mix of hydrogenated oils and other unhealthful things along with peanuts.

True peanut butter is NOT a low calorie food, but it does have protein and good fats, so it is something you can still enjoy in moderation, but as for the two previously mentioned, I don't recommend them.

Some people don't like REAL peanut butter because it separates and the oil rises to the top, but the solution to that is to store it upside down so the oil is actually on the bottom of the container when you flip it over and open it. You still have to stir, but it is easier. Stirring enhances the anticipation of the yummy peanut butter flavor two....
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i know this isn't what you are asking for. but just my $0.02: just get natural peanut butter where the only ingredient is peanuts.

it is so good. it turned me off from the reg stuff, you don't need as much of it to be satisfied, it is just so good.

give it a shot, plus, it is a whole lot healthier without all those preservatives and chemicals in it.:bigsmile:
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

Some people don't like REAL peanut butter because it separates and the oil rises to the top, but the solution to that is to store it upside down so the oil is actually on the bottom of the container when you flip it over and open it. You still have to stir, but it is easier. Stirring enhances the anticipation of the yummy peanut butter flavor two....

i would also like to ditto this. stir it upside down. mine didn't even seperate all that much cause i was constantly in it...but taking way less than i did with fake p.b.
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    The best peanut butter (possibly ever) is the fresh ground stuff. If you have a co-op or organic grocery nearby, they may have the grinding machine there. If you get a chance, try it. It's awesome.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

Actually, it's been my experience that the "no stir" options contain more additional ingredients than the ones you do need to stir. Peanut oil naturally separates from the peanut solids and that's why you get that oil separation at the top. That's all.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If you have a good blender, food processer, or mini-chopper, you can make your own. It's really easy. I tried it a week and a half ago, and our kids are looking for any and every excuse to eat it. :grumble: :laugh:

I have a little mini-chopper (the kind that with a rotating blade, not the one that chops up and down)...

I bought unsalted, dry roasted peanuts (at $1.37 a lb, definitely reasonable.....most peanut butter is no cheaper than $2 per lb).

I stuck them in small batches in the chopper/blender, and kept it on until it was all smooth and creamy, and transferred my small batches to a larger container. (Frosting containers are perfect for this type of thing. "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!" :wink: :laugh: ) If you have a larger blender or processor, it would be a little easier. I'm stubborn, so it worked out okay for me. LOL

I tried two types - one with just the peanuts, and one where I added a small amount of table salt. We like the "plain" just fine, next time I am not adding salt.

I've kept it stored in the fridge - so far it is still creamy, has not separated, and isn't hard to spread on bread, crackers, celery, bagels, or apples (see, told you our kids are finding excuses for it).

Try it, ya might like it. I bought 2 lbs of peanuts, and it will last us (a family of 5) several weeks. I'm going to try some different kinds of nuts next time, too!

:smile: :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    PEA nut peanut butter, and jelly
    PEA nut peanut butter and jelly....

MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I love my peanut butter with ......................PEANUTS!!

I eat the Smuckers Organic Creamy Peanut Butter
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I was going to go with smuckers natural or the one with just peanut and salt, but I didn't like the idea of having to put it in the fridge. I am a big eater-out-of-jar-right-now type of person :bigsmile: I have some Peanut Butter & Co. Dark chocolate dreams, so I decided to try their chunky kind, and it is amazing! It tastes like real peanuts :laugh:

It's 180 cals for 2 tbs, which I don't think is that bad. It has palm fruit oil (not palm oil which can be bad as stated above, and it keeps the natural peanut oil from settling on the top), evaporated cane juice (sweetener), peanuts, and salt. It is all natural and has no scary HFCS or hydrogenated oils. Try it out....the dark chocolate is to die for!

The problem I now face is that it only comes in a small container and it's $4.50 a container and I can go through that pretty fast :grumble: It's an expensive habit haha
  • BamaRose0107
    Options

Palm Oil is not bad for you as long as it is not hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated.

Saturated fat is the leading cause of high blood cholesterol and can promote heart disease. My mom has heart problems she has had one heart attack and they said they if she did not star eating better she would end up having bypass surgery. She started montitoring her fat intake and now the doctors are astonished by her heart health. I know you may be passionate about the diet you do but it is not the answer for everyone.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

Saturated fat is the leading cause of high blood cholesterol and can promote heart disease. My mom has heart problems she has had one heart attack and they said they if she did not star eating better she would end up having bypass surgery. She started montitoring her fat intake and now the doctors are astonished by her heart health. I know you may be passionate about the diet you do but it is not the answer for everyone.

Well, we will have to agree to disagree. Saturated fat isn't the problem, it is man made trans fats and processed foods that are the issue.

The proof is in the puddding for me and many others with the stellar blood work. ;)
  • cheshirekat
    cheshirekat Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am a big peanut butter fan, this is an excellent thread! I love natural peanut butter, Adams is very good, but i agree that making your very own is the best! My grocery store in montana had a place to make peanut butter and almond butter, I sure do miss it! Get the kind you have to stir, its the healthiest kind with no added sugar or salt. Saturated fat isn't something you want to OD on but unless you are eating a jar of PB a day it definitely isn't going to contribute much to an unhealthy heart. Especially because PB has heart healthy fats in it. Trans fats are a large culprit, very very unhealthy! Avoid fast food and convenience food if you are worried about high levels saturated and trans fats.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I was going to go with smuckers natural or the one with just peanut and salt, but I didn't like the idea of having to put it in the fridge. I am a big eater-out-of-jar-right-now type of person :bigsmile: I have some Peanut Butter & Co. Dark chocolate dreams, so I decided to try their chunky kind, and it is amazing! It tastes like real peanuts :laugh:

It's 180 cals for 2 tbs, which I don't think is that bad. It has palm fruit oil (not palm oil which can be bad as stated above, and it keeps the natural peanut oil from settling on the top), evaporated cane juice (sweetener), peanuts, and salt. It is all natural and has no scary HFCS or hydrogenated oils. Try it out....the dark chocolate is to die for!

The problem I now face is that it only comes in a small container and it's $4.50 a container and I can go through that pretty fast :grumble: It's an expensive habit haha

Peanut Butter & Co White Chocolate peanut butter is to die for! :love:
  • BamaRose0107
    Options

Well, we will have to agree to disagree. Saturated fat isn't the problem, it is man made trans fats and processed foods that are the issue.

The proof is in the puddding for me and many others with the stellar blood work. ;)

I was just giving medical facts. For some people saturated fat can be a problem. If you have stellar blood work congratulations. But my mom almost died and changing her diet and paying attention to fats is what got her healthy again.

Like you said the truth is in the pudding. My pudding is just a different flavor.