I just want a Dr. Pepper

Options
HahnTBeth
HahnTBeth Posts: 29 Member
I have started my new transformation and I will be doing it the old-fashioned way. Honestly, if there was a pill I could take to lose weight while doing nothing, I would be all over that!! However, that isn't an option and I'm at a point that I am unhappy with myself and I feel like a slug. I have been exercising and eating better and within a few days I already feel much better about myself! My weakness unfortunately is the soda, and it's a work in progress every day not to drink any!! I also have a problem with emotional eating, but I have started to take walks when I feel like eating, and by the time my walk is over, all I want is a glass of water. If anyone has any tips or positive motivation, feel free to add me!

Replies

• Orchdork13093
    Options
    I am a soda addict myself. I find that the more I am active, the more I end up craving water instead of soda. Otherwise, it just takes will power to not grab a can of Dr. Pepper or Coca-Cola.
  • rosiecotton24
    rosiecotton24 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I love Dr Pepper. I have cut a lot of soda out and mainly drink water. I still have a dr pepper now and then.
  • FerociousKitty
    Options
    i'm down to one soda a day haha
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I :heart: Dr Pepper. It took me a long time to get it out of my life on a daily basis, but I'm glad I did! Now I have one very occasionally, but I'm finding I want it less and less as it usually gives me a headache now :frown: Mixed blessing I guess!
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    me too!
  • phoenix3050
    Options
    I'm fortunate to have kicked my soda habit (9 months going strong). Dr. Pepper was my favorite too! I went cold turkey on the sodas. If I wanted a sweet drink I would get sweet tea. After a few weeks you'll lose the craving for the soda. It doesn't even taste good to me now. I find it easier to say no to the sweet tea then it was to the sodas. I don't even drink the tea any more.

Good luck!
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm a serious soda junkie. it started when i was really little and we lived in a terrible part of KC, MO. And our tap water was gag-worthy. We had less than no money, and discovered that diet soda on sale was cheaper than bottled water (it was the early 80's so bottled water wasn't really popular or competitive).
    Soooo all my family drinks is diet soda. I really dislike plain water unless I'm absolutely parched.
    That said, I (unplanned) haven't had a soda in 3 days because we ran out the other day (usually it's my entire source of hydration). I've been busy w/ my kids, so I haven't gone shopping. I did have a little thing of mio that I have used over the last few days. it says 24 servings on the bottle, but it's almost gone.

As for regular vs. diet. All the aspartame is evil crap out there is bad internet myth. my family is living proof. we're all just fine. As for taste. Diet dr. pepper cherry is one of the best. The "zero" options by coke are pretty good, but they need to be cold. as for diet (not zero) coke vs. diet pepsi, I prefer pepsi. My favorite of all is coke zero cherry. note the cherry in both the dr. pepper and the coke. adding that extra fruity flavor really hides the aspartame. the fanta orange zero is good as well. be careful of one of the diet orange sodas, i can't remember which.... it has 25 calories (some bonus HFCS, to which I am not opposed) and it tastes really good. I had had 4 or 5 one day before I realized i needed to count them
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Try Sprite Zero and Dr. Pepper Cherry. Half and half.......
  • WILSONBA
    WILSONBA Posts: 197
    Options
    If you have to give into your craving give into diet, that way you arent drinking empty calories. but over all i can't say it's good for you at all lol. i usually only have 1 or 2 sodas a month( it's kinda funny, as i'm drinking my freshly opened diet dr. pepper i see your thread) but i really shouldn't be drinking even that much. sometimes i just need a splash of flavor to change things up ya know!
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Dr. Pepper 10 tastes just like the real thing! I'd still cut back on soda and try to drink water more often, but there are plenty of alternatives that cam satisfy the craving without the calories.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    As for regular vs. diet. All the aspartame is evil crap out there is bad internet myth. my family is living proof. we're all just fine. As for taste.

Unfortunately, that's not actually proof... There are always exceptions, and I'm glad your family are all fine. Aspartame is pretty unhealthy stuff, and at the very least, lets you keep the taste for sweet drinks instead of letting go of the craving. Just sayin'.

I was never into Dr. Pepper, but I love Coke. I try not to have it every day - it's easier if I don't have it in the house, and for me it gets easier the longer I go without.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Try Sprite Zero and Dr. Pepper Cherry. Half and half.......

So trying that! It sounds very good.
  • Bippie252
    Bippie252 Posts: 14
    Options
    Good luck with your soda addiction. I find that the only thing that makes me "not" want to drink soda is knowing what it does to my teeth. I'm rather vain with my teeth. I have a nice smile and don't like stains. Otherwise, I'd insert an IV for Pepsi and at the same time drink it.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I went from drinking 3-4 a day to 1 every week or two. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I lost 10 lbs JUST by doing that. No change in my eating habits or working out. I didn't actually do it to lose weight, I was hoping less caffeine would get rid of the anxiety issues I was having (didn't help though). The weight loss was an unexpected side benefit. And it really does get easier to not have it.
  • cowgirlup327
    cowgirlup327 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It's certainly not a replacement for a Dr. Pepper, but times when I've wanted soda (but also not wanted it...for health reasons), I drink flavored seltzer water. Just check the label to make sure it doesn't have added sugar or artificial flavors. If you get Vintage brand (and some store brands), they're free of all that crap. It's nice to have a fizzy drink with a little flavor, and essentially still be drinking a glass of water. The beer distributor where I live sells it by the cases, so I stock up on cases of the 1 liter bottles and cans - lemon-lime and mandarin orange are my favorite flavors!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I have given up pop for some time now. I do have it now and then but I try not to make a habit of it. I cut it just because there really isn't anything good to it. It's an empty calorie. The teeth benefit is an added bonus!

I like really cold water so I try to keep that on hand, either water in the fridge or having ice to put in water. Most times I will order unsweetened iced tea when I go out anywhere, not sure why as I should just get water since its free, but I do like iced tea.

Keep at it and you'll notice the benefits. When you lose the craving you'll be fine. Then, when you have one at some point you'll notice the ill effects of it. I find that I'm instantly full (too full) when I have a pop.
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I was a Diet Pepsi drinker, about 6 cans a day.

I quit all soda cold turkey on Dec. 31st 1999 for my millenium new years resolution. I haven't had a drop since.

It was rough at first ,but got much easier as time went by. I don't miss it at all. I now drink unsweetened hot and cold tea, water and an occasional beer.
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    If you love a certain food to that degree, it's counterproductive to try and deprive yourself of it entirely. You'll be miserable.

Just figure out a way you can have one on occasion and work it into your daily intake. One a week, two a week, whatever it takes for you to stay sane and not go on a Dr Pepper binge. Or you could do what I did and switch to diet soda, even though I realize I've just traded one evil for another...

It's my experience that denying yourself what you want the most makes you miserable, then you binge, then you're more miserable.
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 3-4 cans of soda a day til I went to a hypnotist. Since then, a year and a half ago, I have had at most 3 or 4 sodas. Now I mix bigelow green tea with my crystal lite and i drink that all the time. Also, when I go out to eat, I order water with lemon wedges. Good luck!!!