ZUMBA calories!?

Options
How many calories does an hour of zumba burn? I'm in a local class btw.

Replies

• lorraine311
    lorraine311 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I heard the average is 1000 calories per hour.
  • NeverEverEasy
    Options
    Holy crap!
  • kashmyre
    kashmyre Posts: 105 Member
    Options

^^^ This is WAY too high. Depending on your current weight and activity level you will burn more like 500 - 800. If you go to zumbacalories.com it will give a more acurate idea of what you burn. While not perfect, I have a friend who wears a HRM and said that it is pretty close.

Oh, and Zumba rocks. The most fun exercising out there. It doesn't even feel like working out.
  • NeverEverEasy
    Options

^^^ This is WAY too high. Depending on your current weight and activity level you will burn more like 500 - 800. If you go to zumbacalories.com it will give a more acurate idea of what you burn. While not perfect, I have a friend who wears a HRM and said that it is pretty close.

Oh well thanks :))
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Calorie burn will vary DRASTICALLY according to an individual's height, weight, fitness level, and *effort* during the workout. You can't take some random average and assume that's what you're burning, you have no idea where that average came from.

Either get a heartrate monitor or use one of the various 'dance' options on MFP for an estimate that is more specifically related to your stats.
  • NeverEverEasy
    Options
    Well the zumbacalories.com
    tells me I'll burn 424 :) based on my height and weight, Thanks everyone!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's probably more realistic. :-)
  • Hunbun72
    Hunbun72 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I take zumba classes twice a week and each time I burn between 623 to 670. Depends on how active I get in the class. On my bad days I burn between 500 to 540. But hey a calorie burned is a calorie burned to me. Whatever it is I'LL TAKE IT.:wink:
  • Seattlema
    Seattlema Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My average burn is between 600 to 800, it also of course depends on how active you get during. If I'm really feeling good that is when I reach my high 700's. 787 was my highest to be exact! I also wear my fitbit or bodybugg to get the correct calorie burn, it helps with the guessing so if I ever forget to put one of the 2 on, I can give myself a better est based on what I normally burn.

Good luck to you
  • direwolfprincess
    direwolfprincess Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Great question because I started to do Zumba but their is no option to record it precisely. I use fast dance as an alternative?
  • direwolfprincess
    direwolfprincess Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Well the zumbacalories.com

Sweet! I'll take 536 calories burned! :)
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    At my first class I burned 850 according to my HRM. I'm 5' 9" and weighed 265. And I just plugged my info into that website and low was 820 and mid was 927, so a good estimation.