Time of the month, how to avoid the food binge?

Options
Ladys (obviously) i like many others suffer bad food binges at that time of the month. Today i have eaten a double sauage and egg mcmuffin , 2 packets of hula hoops a choccy yogurt and 2 sausage rolls..and i really hope i wont eat anymore junk before tea time which is a low fat home made curry . Although right now im craving a great big greesy cheese burger chips and mayo :( washed down with good old cry to officer and a gentleman!

Just wondering ladys what are your top tips for avoiding this pre period binge of junk food can it ever be avoided. The only thing i could think of was make plain popcorn and sprinkle some cocoa powder on top , any ideas welcomed xx

Replies

• kirstineu
    kirstineu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    For me it is the few days run up that is really imprtant, Lots of greens etc. I also seem to eat more nuts this time and I have vertually no pain!
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem, hah! What I did was make room in my diet and plan to eat some of the bad stuff I love, like ice cream and oatmeal cookies. I had to give up a few things to do it, but if I know I'm going to eat it later, the temptation to eat it all day is much less.
  • kaaabney
    kaaabney Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I can't help, but I do share your problem. A few days before I start is the worst. It's like I crave junk and I won't stop until I get it. Maybe we could try eating the junk, but just eating smaller amounts of it! Good luck!
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Lol I dont :blushing: . I just try to exercise as much of it off.

I finished a family sized bag of Crunchy Cheetos and about half a bag of family sized Peanut butter Bugles in like 3 days. I'm trying to tack on an extra 10-15 mins of cardio the next few days for it.
  • stellaskies
    stellaskies Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I tried not keeping junk food in the house but when I get a craving there really is no stopping me. Last week I went to the grocery store and bought fudge covered oreos AND a piece of chocolate cake from the bakery. I HAVE NO REGRETS!
  • noynoyavery
    noynoyavery Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    lol all this talk of food is making it worse! I have been good and excerises off 700 odd cals so i dont feel so bad i also feel a bit healther now ive done it and less bloated too.
  • sonjalucia
    sonjalucia Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    What I have done to rid myself of this habit:

1) Remove ALL junk and processed foods from the house (husband can go get his own crap if he wants it!)

2) Stock up on 5 calorie JELL-O packs - they are tasty and fill my rush for sugar

3) In addition to drinking water, I will a big water bottle with fresh lemons and limes, and then add a small dash of crystal light

4) Track everything in my journal to keep me accountable

5) Remember how terrible I would feel, if I were to binge again

Ultimately, it really depends on where the binging is stemming from, whether it be because it's your TOM, or if it is emotionally triggered. The first step is acknowledging that you have an issue. Write down what you binge on a separate piece of paper, look at it, then crumple it up. Does that help?

Best of Luck!
  • melodicartistry
    Options
    I guess if you cant avoid the bingng too much, you can always try and force yourself to get up and move after. I know the last thing I ever want to do is "Get up and move" when I am suffering already from cramps, but it surprises me every time I do it, I seem to work through the pain, and end up feeling a little better for a while.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Also try those low calorie hot chocolates. I've not been so bad the last few months - usually I crave meat but now I'm on multivitamins and minerals it has made a big difference.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I find I just cant get full. I just feel hungry all the time and nothing can fill me up!!
  • ajohn252
    ajohn252 Posts: 158
    Options
    I've been taking evening primrose oil capsules one week before and the
    week during my period and my cravings have been so much better.
    This stuff is easy to find anywhere they sell vitamins and its not too
    expensive and the jar lasts a while.

I usually would just take one pill a day but on bad days I would take two.
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Since your body is trying to make up for the iron it is losing, you'll get those cravings. Several days before I start, I up my iron intake (both in supplement and food form via leafy green) and that helps immensely. It doesn't completely get rid of the cravings, but they aren't as unmanageable when I keep up the iron intake.
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have this problem. I usually eat 4000 + calories a day or 2 before my period. I don't know why, but it has always been this way.
    1) Remove ALL junk and processed foods from the house (husband can go get his own crap if he wants it!)

^^ This is the best solution I've come up with...but I've even found myself eating peanut butter out of the jar with a spoon when I get desperate.
  • marissa4354
    marissa4354 Posts: 140
    Options
    I try to burn the calories before I eat it. So if I'm craving oreos and milk I say, "Well then I have to get up and run before I can have it." Of course I never want to work harder to eat so I just don't eat it. Or I save calories for it. But I never eat it if I haven't worked out before or don't have left over calories. Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Extra protein.
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Since your body is trying to make up for the iron it is losing, you'll get those cravings. Several days before I start, I up my iron intake (both in supplement and food form via leafy green) and that helps immensely. It doesn't completely get rid of the cravings, but they aren't as unmanageable when I keep up the iron intake.

Will try this!!!!
  • brewface811
    brewface811 Posts: 106
    Options
    bump. I've eaten McDonalds 3 times this week... pretty sure I've NEVER done that before.
  • nymthiriel
    nymthiriel Posts: 42
    Options
    What helps me is a cup of cottage cheese with chia seeds. The chia seeds will swell in your stomach within a few minutes, helping you to feel pretty full. I put them on everything - toast w/ Nutella, peanut butter English muffins, etc. They really have helped a lot. I'm coming off of hormonal BC myself, so every day feels like "OMG CHOCOLATE NAOOOO." :P
  • MandiB79
    MandiB79 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My thing is chocolate... and peanut butter.... together in delicious blissfulness....

I usually give in a bunch during PMS, but know full well that when it's over, so is the chocolate binge. I'm lucky that I don't crave the grease, and I'm not sure if part of that is the fear of the "food-hangover" that comes with it.

Sorry this isn't much help- just remember your goals, and allow yourself some of what you are craving, without going overboard.

:happy:
  • nymthiriel
    nymthiriel Posts: 42
    Options
    I try to burn the calories before I eat it. So if I'm craving oreos and milk I say, "Well then I have to get up and run before I can have it." Of course I never want to work harder to eat so I just don't eat it. Or I save calories for it. But I never eat it if I haven't worked out before or don't have left over calories. Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:

I do the same thing, haha! I ran on an off day to make up for the fudge pop from last night. ;)