Time of the month, how to avoid the food binge?

Options
2»

Replies

• shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    The cravings of food is the worst part (besides the after bloating) but instead of eating anything and everything I just try and keep more fruits and veggies around and snack on them all day.
  • willot0722
    willot0722 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The last time I binged on pizza, I typed up a letter to myself describing in detail how I awful I felt, mentally and physically. Every time I am craving it I open the letter and read it and remember how it made me feel and remind myself that I don't want to feel that way again.
  • LAMypie
    LAMypie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    First off, making your own version of your faves is helpful in many ways. 1. actively cooking IS a workout, small one, but it is. 2. You know where the food is coming from and can avoid all the fillers, and preservatives that come in pre-packaged food (including salt to help with the bloat) and 3. You can tweak a recipe to make it healthier so you don't have to feel as guilty. I am one who has NO willpower when it's my TOM. If it isn't in the house, I HAVE to go get it or I will turn into the Hulk and smash the house.
  • brwneyedirish813
    brwneyedirish813 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Well im actually late this month with 2 neg pregnancy test. Praying its the 15lbs gone over a month haha! But ive gotten all the symptoms.. but neways what ive been doing is when i feel that craving coming on.. i give myself about 300 more calories a day, unfortually this month it's been very slow slow and drawn out so it's been about everyday.. but i try to make up the used calories but exercising. .. don't deprive yourself because i also heard that during your period your metabolism is a lot higher so it's easy to burn that off more quickly. Good luck! :D
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    The cocoa powder on popcorn idea sounds sooooo delicious. I need to try that, still using salt of course. :)
  • victoria441
    Options
    What I usually do is have a serving of pretzels or a 100 calorie bag of kettle pop corn! When I crave chocolate I found this AMAZING ice cream!! The whole Pint is only 150 calories!! It's called arctic zero, not sure if they carry it by you but that really helps. Or carbsmart chocolate ice cream with fat/sugar free whipped cream on top! Hope this helps!
  • MouseFood
    MouseFood Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. Not a lot helps ...

But one thing I do find helps is, when you have a craving GO FOR THAT FIRST.

The other week I really wanted Reeses PB cups. Here in UK they don't have them at every single store like they do back home. I went down to one store where I usually get them, and they were out. So instead, I bought a choc bar with fruit and nuts and a pack of cheese sandwich crackers ... which ws tasty, but was NOT what I wanted.

Later, I was STILL craving those PB cups, so I texted my husband at work and asked him to bring some home.

So, I ended up eating a lot more than I needed to just because I couldn't get what I was initially craving. if you want something naughty, go for it, just go for whatyou want ... don't eat everything in sight.

I try to remember that. Doesn't always work,b ut sometimes it does :)

Sorry about the typos. My nails need to be trimmed!!
  • celtictechie
    Options
    A lot of how I avoid the binge is to eat very healthy foods leading up to it. You've probably found already through dieting that the healthier you eat, the lower tolerance you have for unhealthy foods. Replace chocolate with fruits, use healthy sugars and train your body to only crave the "okay" foods. If I eat unhealthily during my period, I regret it quite a bit because of how my tummy feels after.

Other things are that if you absolutely need the "unhealthy," eat the "healthier" end of it... I always have a stash of Godiva 85% Cocoa dark chocolates. The Midnight ones I believe they are called. (Haven't had to use them in a while). They are small, low in calories, and have antioxidants that are good for you.
  • sunnyflower1177
    Options
    Me too!!! I feel like I'm commiting some crime!! I'm not hurting nobody but when I eat I eat!!! then I feel bad later:{
  • vyanadevi
    vyanadevi Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    celery juice
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. Not a lot helps ...

But one thing I do find helps is, when you have a craving GO FOR THAT FIRST.

The other week I really wanted Reeses PB cups. Here in UK they don't have them at every single store like they do back home. I went down to one store where I usually get them, and they were out. So instead, I bought a choc bar with fruit and nuts and a pack of cheese sandwich crackers ... which ws tasty, but was NOT what I wanted.

Later, I was STILL craving those PB cups, so I texted my husband at work and asked him to bring some home.

So, I ended up eating a lot more than I needed to just because I couldn't get what I was initially craving. if you want something naughty, go for it, just go for whatyou want ... don't eat everything in sight.

I try to remember that. Doesn't always work,b ut sometimes it does :)

Sorry about the typos. My nails need to be trimmed!!

^^Yes! I've done this too, where I think if I just eat something it'll hold me over and shut up the icky little voice in my head. But I end up eating the thing I really wanted in the first place which just means I've eaten way too much. :/

Also, I don't normally eat the junky 100 calorie pack stuff, but it's good to have around for this lovely special occasion. If I had a pack of cookies I'd eat the whole damn thing and feel horrible about it (alright, maybe not the WHOLE thing, but way too much.) If I have a 100 calorie pack I'll usually be satisfied with just that and stop there.
  • celtictechie
    Options
    Too true. Sometimes the only way to combat the craving is to just give in, otherwise you will be trying to satisfy your "hunger" with things that your brain isn't begging for.
  • kdiddygreen
    Options
    Sadly I sometimes dont even realize what I am doing until its too late!!!!! I always feel awful that I just had NO control - well what Ive done is try to have some "better options" in the house. I love skinny cow ice creams and they definately help satisfy and control (not eliminate) my binge problem. Ive also started to take my dog for an additional walk - If I catch myself rumaging through the pantry or fridge I"ll grab her leash and head out the door. It helps me get a grip on the situation.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I understand completely. But honestly, I think it is okay to have what you are craving during those few days. As long as you excersize extra and it is really only done like 2 days out of the month, its just fine. I dont think you should worry girl!

But just to throw it out there, and you probably already know this but there are healthier ways to bake ( I get the urge to bake all the time)

there are lower calorie alternatives and portioned controlled snacks ( i like the 100 calorie chocolate covered pretzels they are delish and i feel satisfied)