Living with costochondritis

Options
I've been suffering with chronic costochondritis for around 18 months now and it can completely stop me in my tracks when it flares up.
Does anyone else suffer from this and can you suggest any exercises which can help with it? I have been referred to the physio but I don't know how long I might have to wait for that yet!

Replies

• lauraparkerrr
    lauraparkerrr Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • rpounds1957
    rpounds1957 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that nobody has responded to your post. More than likely, nobody here has experience with costochondritis. I know that it can be very painful, as my oldest son suffered from it a few years ago when he was in his 20's. However, it was a fairly short term affliction for him. Medication and a reduction of stress relieved his symptoms and they have never returned. Has the doctor not been able to give you something to counteract the inflammation? There are some great anti inflammatory drugs these days. If it were me, I think I would be pressing the doc for help and if he can't help, I'd find a new physician.

Get better soon sweetie. I know it's not fun.
  • lauraparkerrr
    Options
    Thanks for the reply and the suggestions :) anti-inflammatory drugs do not agree with me unfortunately, i've had a chest x-ray and i'm now awaiting my physio appointment so i'm hoping that will help. I've been keeping a record of my pain as well so I can show the doctor/physio.

Thanks
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    I know about this condition as a girl I work with got it when she was pregnant. Very debilitating; hard to sit, hard to stand for periods of time.

She was prescribed mild painkillers as she is preggers. Anti-inflammatory pills were suggested once the baby is out but since they don't agree with you?

Swimming is meant to be good for it. I think she mentioned a herbal remedy but I can't rem what she said. I will ask her again. It might be worth visiting/chatting to an acupuncturist to see if they can help?

Sorry I can't be of more help . Hopefully it will just go away for you.
  • LAS_1980
    LAS_1980 Posts: 156
    Options
    I had it several years ago and the only time mine would flare up was first thing in the morning when I tried to get out of bed. Dr told me to take Naproxen Sodium and that seemed to help. Sorry I can't be of more help to you. I hope you can find comfort soon!!
  • em_c_r
    em_c_r Posts: 23
    Options
    I've had it for the past 10 years or so... they told me it usually is short term but mine flares up when I use my arms and upper chest for anything strenuous. My husband has to do most of the vacuuming because that will cause it to flare up. Even sometimes when I carry my son for too long.
    I haven't found any exercises that help so far. I've avoided working out my upper arms in the past. I think the best thing is to go very carefully with anything that causes it to flare up. I've been working my arms a little bit because I think if my muscles through that area get stronger, it might keep the flare ups to a minimum. I hope anyway!
    Good luck with the doctor. I hope they can give you some answers! Also, I've found that heat on the area helps relieve some of the pain.
  • lauraparkerrr
    Options
    thanks for all the advice guys, i'll definitely give them a go. Mine's started flaring up more often recently and i've been getting the feeling of a heavy chest (like someone is sitting on it) more often as well, especially when i'm at work or driving which is a massive pain! Fingers crossed the physio will help me out.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel....I was diagnosed with costochondritis when i was 19. I would double over in pain when I had a flare up. All their could do was prescribe me 800 mg anti inflammatory and I was good to go. Haven't had a flare up in 11 years.
  • housewife05
    housewife05 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Having to deal with it now for about 2 years now and it is really a set back in my weight lose? How do you keep working out? I'm large up top (dds) so anything like jumping running anything affects it.. I've been having flare ups a lot more now every couple of weeks ..I think a doctors help is now needed