Why am I not loosing weight

Options
2»

Replies

• JoeyTajzai
    JoeyTajzai Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I have changed my lifestyle completely at the beginning of May. Counting every calorie I put in my mount up to 1200 to 1500 a day and working out anywhere from 45 min to 2.5 hours a day (running and walking) with one rest day a week. Since then I have lost 8 lbs... very sloooow and I feel like I have to work soo hard for one pound... Then this morning I step on the scale and I GAINED a pound...WTH???? I am so discurraged right now and want to give up but I know I can't. I also quit smoking at the same time and cut out bread except for one day a week. I don't know what I should be eating. I am afraid to eat carbs so I don't eat starch pasta or rice. My meals consist of protein, fruits and veggies and also frozen meals such as weight watchers. I need some help in what I should be eating. Does anyone have any examples of a daily meal? Please I need some help....

My meals look like this..

Breakfast: Protein Shake

30 Minutes after: 4 White Eggs, 2 Whole Eggs, Wheat Bread, Grape Fruit.

Pre workout: Oatmeal /w Splenda and any sort of fruit or Tuna Patties.

Post workout: Protein Shake

Dinner: Chicken /w Veggies and red skinned potatoes.

Before Bed: Protein Shake<-- depends if I havent hit 160g of protein.

I also usually snack in between like a handful of almonds, or I have these cheese that have like 8 grams of protein in them but only 40 calories or something. You have to remember, a lot of it could be water weight and your weight is going to flux up and down a lot. Just keep moving forward..
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Well there are days where I burn up to 1500 cal in a day and then eat 1500 cal for that day. I can't help it, I feel like if I don't work hard then I won't do my body good
    You burn 1500 and then eat an extra 1500, or just eat 1500.

Large calorie deficits from exercise do stall weight loss, as you can read on here.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Everytime I see this subject line ... I know the person is probably starving on 1200 cals a day, working out like a maniac and NOT eating their exercise calories back. Your body needs fuel.

Look into the group "eat more to weight less" and see if that suits you more...

Starving at 1200/day only works for a while and usually only if you have quite a bit to lose.... then it stops working....

I agree completely. If you are eating 1500 and burning 1500 you are netting 0 calories and freaking your body out. Continue that, and your metabolism will decrease as your body tries to hold on to all the calories it can since it thinks there is some kind of famine out there. Work with your body, not against it. Eat the calories MFP recommends.
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    As for the Weight watchers meals I only have them every now and then when I can't cook my own meals... What excactly is a clean diet?? I heard so many talk about it but I still dont quite know what it is

It means non-processed foods from what I gather... so instead of frozen meals to go or any premade food, buy raw chicken breasts, fresh or frozen veggies and fruits, nuts....for example. like making every meal 'from scratch'. I believe.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I have changed my lifestyle completely at the beginning of May. Counting every calorie I put in my mount up to 1200 to 1500 a day and working out anywhere from 45 min to 2.5 hours a day (running and walking) with one rest day a week. Since then I have lost 8 lbs... very sloooow and I feel like I have to work soo hard for one pound... Then this morning I step on the scale and I GAINED a pound...WTH???? I am so discurraged right now and want to give up but I know I can't. I also quit smoking at the same time and cut out bread except for one day a week. I don't know what I should be eating. I am afraid to eat carbs so I don't eat starch pasta or rice. My meals consist of protein, fruits and veggies and also frozen meals such as weight watchers. I need some help in what I should be eating. Does anyone have any examples of a daily meal? Please I need some help....

Have you taken measurements of your arms, chest, stomach, thighs? I find that my clothes fit better after awhile and while the scale may not show much, I am actually losing inches! I'd much rather be fitting into clothes, feeling good and losing inches than obsessing over a scale number!
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Well there are days where I burn up to 1500 cal in a day and then eat 1500 cal for that day. I can't help it, I feel like if I don't work hard then I won't do my body good

The other issue I have is too what can I eat to get to my calorie goal, someone was saying no more then 2 pieces of fruit a day but you can eat only so many veggies too... what are some healthy snacks I can have and still lose weight?

Make sure about 20 min before working out you have a good protein/carb snack to help push through. My go to is 2 rice cakes w/ a Tbsp of Natural Peanut butter. And within 15 min of being done with my workout I eat about 1/2 c (4-6oz) of fat free greek yogurt w/ a cup of berries. Working hard is great but getting enough calories to make sure you are not burning up your muscles is even more important. Hang in there - You are doing AMAZING!!!
  • racmar0208
    racmar0208 Posts: 16
    Options
    I have had alot of success with sticking to a primarily vegitarian diet. It's not that I don't like meat, but I've been trying to be very food consious. My protein has been coming from hummus, other types of beans, low fat cottage cheese (which I mix with blueberries and blackberries) and the vegan protein powder that I use in my fresh fruit smoothies. These things mixed with lots of raw veggies and my addiction to wholly guacamole! :) I hope this gives you some food ideas!

Please don't get discouraged! 8 lbs is great, and every little bit is that much closer to your goal!

Good luck! :)
  • rpounds1957
    rpounds1957 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

Feel free to add me if you'd like. My diary is open and you can see the sort of things that I have been successful with, including snacks, etc. I have averaged 2.75 pounds per week.
  • biankavarner
    biankavarner Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all the advise, I am going to make some small adjustments and see how that works out.. I always have had a hard time to even make it to 1200 cal in a day just cause I have a hard time figuring out what I should and can eat... I havve to remember that for sooo many years I have been eating bad so now this is brand new to me..

I am not giving up, just wishing I could get closer to the 200 lbs a bit faster since I have been working twice as hard.. maybe I have been watching the Biggest Loser to much and figured I can drop record breaking numbers as long as I just work out harder
  • wilson1024
    wilson1024 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Took me over 3 months to lose 20 lbs! You don't wanna lose it fast! Just like everyone says on here you didn't gain all that weight at one time! The longer it takes you to lose it the longer you will be able to keep it off. I have seen and learned this over and over again on here! Your doing great! As long as you keep eating clean and exercising you will def see results it just takes time and patience! Lots of patience!!! Good Luck!!
  • ucsneakerz
    ucsneakerz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have basically the same measurements as you and I've lost 17 pounds in 6 weeks. It was slow and steady in the first 4 weeks but I've been losing more rapidly as of late. Here's what I've found worked...

1) Drink TONS of water, I literally drink at minimum 10 cups a day and usually more than that.

2) Avoid sodium, and thats basically what people mean when they say avoid processed food and eat cleanly. That basically means eat "whole foods" (not meant to be a play with the store name). Which means if you're going to eat chicken, buy plain chicken at the grocery store instead of like chicken nuggets. Really it means eat everything in its most natural form, if that makes sense. I started with eating the weight watchers/lean cuisines everyday for lunch and I lost REALLY slowly, when I cut them out completely and started taking a baked chicken cutlet or salmon or something else like that for lunch I did MUCH better.

3) Up your protein. I get my protein from shakes (which I only do like once a week because I dont particularly like them), egg whites, meats, etc.

4) Make sure you eat breakfast!

5) Eat at least 5 times a day. I changed my diary to be "breakfast" "snack in between breakfast and lunch" "lunch" "snack in between lunch and dinner" "dinner" and "post dinner." Obviously to stay in your calorie goals you have to make each meal smaller, but it keeps your metabolism going at all times.

6) Avoid white... anything. White pasta, white bread, white rice...

I hope this helps!