Stomach shrinking: Is this possible?

Options
MrsAlcalde
MrsAlcalde Posts: 261 Member
Is there any truth to your stomach shrinking?

I have been over my cal intake for weeks or just hitting it right on the button, but now I am under by at least 400 cals and I get the starvation mode message.

I am eating to my fill and snacking all day so I am not feeling hungry or light headed or anything.

Can I go into starvation mode without any symptoms whatsoever?

I am 5'9 and 173lbs, so I am supposed to take in 1610 cals a day (according to MFP)

Meal Plan from yesterday:

Breakfast: coffee and granola bar
Snack: 1 ounce almonds
Lunch: 1/2 cucumber, 1/2 green pepper, hummus (3tablespoons) and 1 slice turkey meatloaf
Snack: Cottage cheese and pineapple
Dinner: 2 grilled chicken legs and 1 cup mixed roasted veggies (peppers, onion, garlic, zucchini and squash)
Snack: 1 chocolate chip cookie

Water: 100 ounces

Replies

• Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I used to think that was ridiculous UNTIL i found out I was starving my muscles. You can eat less if you want but that deficit is the real deal. I teach spin and was actually only eating about 1800 calories a day even though I was burning 2,000. Well I lost not only weight but muscle. Its important to stay close to the eating guidelines. Im not saying you need to eat more than 1600 cals though it does depend on your workouts.
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    breakfast should not be coffee and a granola bar. just sayin'
  • MrsAlcalde
    MrsAlcalde Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Well within the hours of 7:30 and 10:00 I also consumed snacks, tea, and water. Also, could you provide more information, not certain what your comment means, other than my breakfast cals are low but the rest of my diet is good.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I would say, listen to your body..if you are hungry,eat, if you aren't don't eat. You might find that next week you are hungry and eat a bit more.

I don't know if there is truth in that your stomach shrinks, I think the more you journey on a healthy lifestyle, you are more intuned to eating when hungry, not waiting until you are starving and than stopping when full, not over-stuffing yourself.

If you feel ok, and you are still loosing weight, than do what is right for you. If you stop loosing weight or start to feel icky than you already know you need to increase your calories...
  • chapparra27
    chapparra27 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Well within the hours of 7:30 and 10:00 I also consumed snacks, tea, and water. Also, could you provide more information, not certain what your comment means, other than my breakfast cals are low but the rest of my diet is good.
    I think she is saying your body needs fuel after a long (over night) fast. Try adding in some eggs or other protien even some bacon!
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The only time I really heard about stomachs shrinking was with people suffering from anorexia or people who severely limited the amount they would eat (not calories but amount). If they ate too much solid food after not having any for long periods of time, it could cause cramping, illness, stomach pains, etc.
    It would mean recovery was done slowly, introducing nutrients through liquids and slowly increasing the amount of solid food they would eat.
    I don't know how true that is.
  • Brennaohh
    Brennaohh Posts: 47
    Options
    The only time I really heard about stomachs shrinking was with people suffering from anorexia or people who severely limited the amount they would eat (not calories but amount). If they ate too much solid food after not having any for long periods of time, it could cause cramping, illness, stomach pains, etc.
    It would mean recovery was done slowly, introducing nutrients through liquids and slowly increasing the amount of solid food they would eat.
    I don't know how true that is.

I was going to say this; it happened to me. yes its true