I'm a secret eater and can't control it!!

Options
i just can't stop eating...when i go to a supermarket i just head to the cake/bakery section and have to buy a cake or danish and one is not enough. i buy 2. i feel i have no control over this and now i'm blowing up by the second. what control mechanisms can i use?

Replies

• glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    What is the rest of your eating like? Do you try to minimize your carbs? Do you drink enough water?
  • jacqui250
    jacqui250 Posts: 53
    Options
    You need to find out what's causing you to over eat? Is it emotional? If so you need to identify the triggers and try to substitute it for something else.
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am a secret eater too. I spotted chocolate stains on my bedsheets the other morning and the wrapper on the floor. Don't remember even eating it.
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    At first glance it looks as though you have carb or sugar cravings. Look at sugar as a drug...if you eat simple sugar, you get an insulin high, but then you crash hard after, and you want more sugar...same as any other drug. Sugar in itself is not bad, i love sugar...just in moderation.

Log your food, and try to determine if you carb intake is from complex carbs, or simple carbs...the more simple carbs you have, the more your sugar levels will spike with big highs, and big lows....the more complex carbs you have, the more even the highs and lows.

Give it a shot and hopefully you will be able to see a trend and have something to work on.
  • secreteater29
    Options
    toast & milk for breakfast; sandwich, fruit & chocolate for lunch; large meal in the evening - mainly chippy dinners.
    I travel to work for 3 hours which makes me hungry and so i bring chocolates for the journey. I've tried to control this by reading on the bus to and from work but i feel a major urge for chocolate and an eat 2 of them at the bus stop. also when i come home from work i'm hungry and need quick food so i eat crisps, cakes/muffins and chocolates and sometimes i even have ice cream in the evening too.
    i know its bad and i feel sick afterwards for eating too much but i need to be able to control this.
  • bookfaery
    bookfaery Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Boy, I understand. It's the worst feeling ever. I wonder if that's what a hardcore drug addiction is like, when you will do anything you can for a fix. So yeah, I see this as a food addiction, and I have the same thing going on. Is it possible for you to talk to someone about this? See what's underlying the urge to eat? That might help. Do you only binge on baked goods? It might be a sugar thing. If you can manage to go cold turkey from the sugar, it gets better, seriously. You need to take it one day at a time. Yeah, it sounds a little hokey, but it works. Sometimes, for me, it's one minute at a time! Water helps. And ... track it. When you eat a big honking cake or something, track it. I ate an entire cheesecake last week, in one sitting. Nearly enough calories for one whole day. It became very clear how I gained so much weight in the first place. THIS definitely helped me. But not until I was able to defeat that sugar addiction. I hope this helps. It is a hard battle. *hugs*
  • secreteater29
    Options
    thanks for your advice.

i've been logging my food diary - yesterday i didn't because i can't remember it - today i've eaten 4 cakes and no dinner - i'm so full! my diary shows i've eaten double my calorie allowance.

yes you could be right - i've noticed from my diary entries i eat far too many snacks and mainly sugary things.
    the thing is my mum went through the same thing as me at my age - stuffing herself with lots of cream cakes and custard slices - could this be a genetic thing?
  • lmgast
    lmgast Posts: 1
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from. It's like an unending battle with me too. I have been staying away from the store and sending my sister-who is a big help on my weight loss journey. I wish I had a easy solution for you but l don't. Try to stay away from the store as much as possible.
  • glittersoul
    Options
    At first glance it looks as though you have carb or sugar cravings. Look at sugar as a drug...if you eat simple sugar, you get an insulin high, but then you crash hard after, and you want more sugar...same as any other drug. Sugar in itself is not bad, i love sugar...just in moderation.

Log your food, and try to determine if you carb intake is from complex carbs, or simple carbs...the more simple carbs you have, the more your sugar levels will spike with big highs, and big lows....the more complex carbs you have, the more even the highs and lows.

Give it a shot and hopefully you will be able to see a trend and have something to work on.

I would follow this advice because after seeing your second post it looks like this will help you quite a bit. You need carbs, just the right kind. Try to make sure you are getting enough protein in your diet too and it will help keep you fuller longer.
  • glittersoul
    Options
    Also, if you have trouble with quick meals because of time then try to pick a day off and make up food for the week. You can wash, cut, portion and bag fruit & veggies. Cook up meat ahead of time too and put it in portioned out bags.. Some meals you can freeze to put in the microwave. Make brown rice in bigger batches ahead of time and season when you are going to eat it if you don't want it to be the same. It will just take some strategic planning and you can get to your goals.
  • secreteater29
    Options
    Also, if you have trouble with quick meals because of time then try to pick a day off and make up food for the week. You can wash, cut, portion and bag fruit & veggies. Cook up meat ahead of time too and put it in portioned out bags.. Some meals you can freeze to put in the microwave. Make brown rice in bigger batches ahead of time and season when you are going to eat it if you don't want it to be the same. It will just take some strategic planning and you can get to your goals.

yes that sounds like a plan. i will try it. thank you!
  • secreteater29
    Options

thank you for this.
  • secreteater29
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from. It's like an unending battle with me too. I have been staying away from the store and sending my sister-who is a big help on my weight loss journey. I wish I had a easy solution for you but l don't. Try to stay away from the store as much as possible.

i honestly cannot do this i buy my own food no one else can do it for me. plus, i need to be strong and fight the supermarket with all its temptations.
  • tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If it's a sweet / sugar thing, have you tried gradually replacing chocolate-type snack foods with fruit? This would probably be easier than cutting out snacking altogether, and you'd still be getting the sweet taste? If I'm having a full-on sugar craving I usually chop up a Pink Lady apple into tiny pieces (which makes it last ages, and seems similar to eating a bag of sweets).
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You have to want to. How old are you and how is your weight? If you don't have a weight problem, no problem. But if you do ,then you have to decide, do you want to keep eating what you shoudn't or do you want to lose weight. The only thing that worked for me is not to have cookies, donuts or ice cream in the house. They are my downfall. I live alone so it is easy. I also bought a notebook and write every single thing I eat all day and all night with the calories listed. Ive been doing it for a little over a month and my weight loss is keeping my cheating from haqppening. I lost 16lbs and want to lose anothe 16. Thats my goal!

Basil
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    A great part of the problem is your mental "tapes." You keep saying, "I can't control it." Yes, yes, you can. These are inanimate objects that you are giving power over yourself. You are CHOOSING not to control the urges. Be an active participant in your life. When you feel the urges sweeping through you, tell yourself you can have [whatever] later. Challenge yourself to have a day without candy or baked goods or whatever you are having the hardest time resisting. You are never telling yourself that you can't have IT, you are just delaying the gratification. As you succeed in making healthier choices, you will feel better about yourself and feel more in control.

You are a powerful, amazing human being. Way more intelligent and talented than any donut could ever be. Get your GRRR-face on and quit accepting your excuses. You are way stronger than you give yourself credit for.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I am a total baked good fiend too. A small but easy trick i use when i'm near the object of desire but need to resist it, is mouthwash. The crest 24 hour protection is so strong that after a rinse with it, nothing, and i mean nothing tastes good. You can't scarf a cake if it tastes bad. The taste wears off after an hour or two, but it's helped me out loads (and i'm minty fresh!)
  • kbuelo
    kbuelo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If it's a sweet / sugar thing, have you tried gradually replacing chocolate-type snack foods with fruit? This would probably be easier than cutting out snacking altogether, and you'd still be getting the sweet taste? If I'm having a full-on sugar craving I usually chop up a Pink Lady apple into tiny pieces (which makes it last ages, and seems similar to eating a bag of sweets).

I agree with this - fruit helps fight sweets cravings for me. I find replacing things with healthier options works better than cutting it out. Or maybe you can chose one day a week to look forward to that specific thing you love. Then you won't just binge out of frustration at the idea you'll never get it again?

It's all easier said than done - I wish you the best!
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Until you admit that you are in control, you will forever be out of control.