Newbie needs help

Options
Hello all,
Through a combination of dieting and cardio I have managed to lose 40+ pounds. I'm 5'6 and my initial goal was 120 - 130 pounds but I went a bit extreme with working out and eating less and my weight dropped to 110. I felt dizzy all the time and since then I've stopped working out and ditched the diet. It's been an year and my weight has fluctuated between 130 - 120. Today I decided to finally get healthy and fit (not skinny) but the problem is I don't have any more weight to lose but I want to lose bodyfat (I expect that I'm around 26 - 28% BF and my goal is 20-23%). I'm fit all over but my stomach is still not where I hoped it would be and even at 110 my stomach wasn't flat. So what can I do to lose the body fat without losing weight? Is that even possible? And I don't have access to a gym and I but I can workout at home.

Replies

• Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. Plain and simple. Try reading New Rules of Lifting for women. It is a real easy read and has a lot of great pointers.
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried any DVDs like P90x? That will tone you up I would think, if you used it along with a high-protein diet and made sure that you ate all your exercise calories. Set your profile to maintain your current weight and then eat some extra for the workouts. :)
  • elizabethwolf
    Options
    search pilates 100s for your stomach, they do wondeerrss, instead of usual ab work outs that push your abs out, if you do them correctly and intensely you will get toned abs that a more concave than convex. no equipment used but i won't say easy
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Eat of lean protein...and lift weights...you can also try yoga & pilates. You just have to see what works for you!
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I would highly suggest getting the following if you don't have them already:

-Resistance Bands
    -Stability Ball
    -A set of 5 and 10lb hand weights
    -Yoga Mat

These videos are great and most of these links work (last time I checked):

http://soon2befit.tumblr.com/post/6944035770

Also check out: http://blogilates.com/
    She has full nutrition guides and a TON of fun short workout videos! They're usually 8-20min long, so you can do a few in a row to customize your own workout!

Also try walk-run intervals, or either activity on its own they're great at keeping you healthy/in-shape and get you outside! Plus, it's a good idea to balance cardio and any sort of strength training-it'll keep you looking leaner!

Hope this helps :)
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    LIFT HEAVY.
    Build muscle mass.

/endthread
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    2 options:

sprint interval training with bodyweight exercises. you do 8-12 intervals of: (a) go as hard as you can, pushing from your *kitten*, for 10-20 seconds; (b) do a bodyweight exercise to failure; (c) rest until your HR drops below 130...then repeat the interval with a different BW exercise (preferably a compound exercise).

or

lift relatively heavy while doing supersets of noncompeting muscles.