Friday Fish Fry

Options
Brianna716
Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
What's the best way to estimate calories for a fish fry? It's a small business with no nutritional info available. The existing entries seem all over the place. Or what are other healthy alternatives to deep fried fish?

Replies

• Brianna716
    Options
    Bump. Anybody? Is there another place I should post this? Newbie here.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely too sure what fish fry is...is it fish battered?? If so, I asked my local chippy to do me a cod but without batter - he looked at me a little funny but did it anyways :-))

If I can't find exactly what I ate on the lists on her, I take the closest thing and hope for the best, if it's a one off thing it shouldn't upset your plan too much
  • BigenFluffy
    BigenFluffy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Girl...you should just plan to eat before you go. I guess the calories depend upon whether they are using cornmeal or wet batter, but it's still gonna be high. Also, you have the problem with the yummy hush puppies, tarter sauce, french fries, coleslaw, etc.

I'm getting hungry thinking about it.

If they are a full service restaurant they might have some broiled or steamed options available that would be better choices.
  • BigenFluffy
    BigenFluffy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just for an idea, Long John Silver's has 1 piece of fried pollock (think Whiting) listed as 260 calories, one husbpuppy is 60 calories, 4 ounces of coleslaw is 200 calories...
  • Brianna716
    Options
    LJS fish is smaller than a typical piece of fish and it's battered. I think the place I go is breaded.I typically go twice a month so i would prefer to actually eat there vs. Eating before I leave.
  • Kalebsmommy424
    Kalebsmommy424 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Go to your diary and put in Fried fish and see what comes up...play around with it that way u can get an idea of what to eat and how many calories it will be..Then eat and go home and do 30mins of working out to butrn about 250 of those calories that you just consumed.
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I end up not eating all of the batter to try and reduce the calories & fat. It's very hard to figure out the number of calories in food like this so if in doubt I over estimate and compensate with some extra exercise either on the day or the day after.