Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Runners - Camelback vs Hydration Belt???!

It's time to add water to my running ensemble as I was really thirsty out there today. So, tell me, which one do you use: The Camelback or The Hydration Belt and why, let's hear the Pros & Cons?

Replies

• stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Fuel Belt
  • gjones138
    gjones138 Posts: 1
    Fuel Belt *2. This is my current belt I wear for my phone and 2 water bottles in Dallas heat. Weekly mileage ~ 35 - 45.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    I use a fuel belt. I was afraid the camel back would bounce.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    I have always depended on the kindness of strangers. :) And I course my walks/runs where I know I can get to water fountains.
  • 2knoxs
    2knoxs Posts: 81
    I used a CamelBack for almost 6 months straight; loved it and never gave it a second thought, however, as a civilian using it to run, I wasnt covered head to toe in gear and noticed that the straps chaffed the inside of my arms when I would run. ...very uncomfortable, both during and after. I have never used a belt to run tho. It is going to depend on how much water you want to carry, your weather conditions, your distance, but if your looking just for comfort, thats my 2 cents :)
  • Juliet_622
    Juliet_622 Posts: 165 Member
    I use a hydration belt. This one to be specific:
    http://www.shop.runningroom.com/product_info.php?cPath=3_15_407_465&language_id=1&products_id=5824

I went with this one over the camelback, because some of the runners in my clinic complained about it bouncing and hitting their backs when they ran if it wasn't super tight. I like this one because you can easily adjust it, it doesn't move around, it's got the little pouch for anything you might need (keys, chapstick, gels).

I'd definitely recommend it, but with the suggestion that you get one that carries 4 bottles rather than 2. On those long runs, I always wish I had a little bit more water with me!

Oh and one other thing that was recommended to me - when looking at the belts, get ones that have plastic to hold the water bottles, rather than elastic, as the elastic loses its shape and elasticity over time and makes it useless.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    I just had this same deliema as I just ran my first half marathon. I looked at a fuel belt but was worried one I got hot and had to tie my jacket around my waist I would have issues (it was only 46° at the start of the race) so I opted for a Amphipod (It is a hand held bottle with a palm strap. I ended up loving it. It never felt awkward and worked very well for me.
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Definitely Camelback
  • akvreeland
    akvreeland Posts: 27
    I have both...for shorter runs I carry the water bottle from the belt (I like having 8ish oz of water but never like the belt). For longer runs, hikes, bike rides etc I have a 40 oz Camelbak. I have never noticed an issue with my Camelbak
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    I use a camelback. I got one for women that has a slightly slimmer cut and when it's adjusted right it doesn't really bounce or bug me. Every single belt I've tried drives me crazy, and I've tried a lot. For me any bouncing on my butt is much more annoying than on my back, but that's me. I can also jam additional water bottles into the camelback, so I like that for long hikes. Additionally, I can keep a fast pace using the camelback but sometimes have to stop to wiggle those little bottles out of the belt. When I'm in my groove I really hate stopping.

Only problem I've ever had with a camelback is sometimes the mouthpiece becomes leaky, and you end up with a big wet spot on your shirt. Not really the worst thing when you're running though.

**Edited to add that the camelback also works fantastic for people who have dogs. I trained my dog to drink out of it without licking the spout and it's sooo much easier. No more carrying around little plastic dishes and waiting around on the side of the road for her to take a drink! Now it's on my terms.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Awesome info!!!

I think I'll hit the running store this weekend and try them both on for size and comfort...it seems like it might just come down to personal preference.

The bouncing on either of them would drive me crazy....might have to try the armband one.

I wish there were places to stop as someone mentioned, but my route is very rural, no water fountains : (
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    I use a Camelbak Octane LR with the lumbar reservoir for trail running. Doesn't bounce and just enough extra storage for a little gear, keys, cell phone, etc.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    The only opinion that matters is yours. you just have to try both and see what works best for you.

The real issue to try them when they are full of water. They all feel good when they are empty.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,340 Member
    It depends on how long I need to go without resupplying my water supply.

If one bottle is enough, then a fuel belt.

If more than 30 ounces is necessary, then I go with my Camelback.

And anyone who is "afraid a Camelbak will bounce" probably hasn't run with one. They make them sport-specific.

This is my newest, and I LOVE it!!!

CamelBak-Ultra-LR-Vest-Front.jpg

2012 Ultra LR Vest

camelbak-ultra-lr-vest-2l-2012-hydration-pack.jpg&w=419&h=276&ei=PtPPT86GBMLC2QWP3YmcCQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=562&sig=114492508743745450201&page=1&tbnh=130&tbnw=197&start=0&ndsp=34&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0,i:82&tx=97&ty=52
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    The only opinion that matters is yours. you just have to try both and see what works best for you.

The real issue to try them when they are full of water. They all feel good when they are empty.

I agree, but I love to hear from my MFPers...it's like reading product reviews. I'm guessing that they aren't super expensive, so who knows, maybe I'll get both?

I love that vest that was posted...this looks that grandaddy of hydration!!!
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 682 Member
    i only have a fuel belt but i can't wait to get rid of it. it's uncomfortable and a total pain in the *kitten*.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,340 Member

I agree, but I love to hear from my MFPers...it's like reading product reviews. I'm guessing that they aren't super expensive, so who knows, maybe I'll get both?

I love that vest that was posted...this looks that grandaddy of hydration!!!

It's got a 70oz bladder that snugs up to your lumber area quite nicely, and the front pockets can hold a full bottle on each side. I've run with one bottle in the front pocket, and the pack still felt like it was a part of my body. Zero complaints for it!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    I've had a Camelback for years but never used it.

In terms of hydration belts, it's really a matter of personal opinion. I had a Fuel Belt and it served me well for about a year and I ran my marathon with it, and then came the problems. It started bouncing (elastic wore out) and it caused severe hip pain to the point that I had to toss it in my car during a half marathon. I now swear by the iFitnes Ultimate II with 2 8 ozhydration add-ons. They are a great company, they back their product 100% and gave me a free replacement bottle at an expo the other day. No bounce, great spots for gels and a pocket for keys and ID and a cell phone if you so desire. Awesome product!
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    I hav a handheld at this time but I'm only up to 1/2 marthon in a cool weather environment. I know that I will not want a camel back because I hate stuff on my back and it would annoy me. I am currently shopping for a beltd version and hope to be running long enough this summer to use one.

I have a friend who has one it holds four and it has plastic clips, she loves it.
  • butters1
    butters1 Posts: 1,540 Member
    I bike with a Camelback. I love it and do not know it's there. I do not run far enough to make hydration an issue...but i do use the camelback for long walks/hiking. I suspect mine would not do well for running.

I'm bumping because maybe the Christmas fairies might ask what i want this year. If so, i :heart: :heart: :heart: the pictured one.