Weight loss only by diet/calories control?

Options
umer76
umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
Has anybody lost over 70-80 lbs just by controlling the diet and without doing exercise or jogging? I am curious to know that people who are losing lots of weight is it always a combination of diet and exercise or we can lose 80 lbs by being consistent and honest with the calories control only. Please share your experiences.

Replies

• Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    I would like to know this also lol
  • honeyfirle2020
    honeyfirle2020 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    No I dont know anyone whose ever lost that much without exercise, unless they have had gastric bypass.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    The first 50 lbs I lost was all diet/calorie restriction, I did practically no exercise during that time. I have never had gastric bypass. I decided to start exercising in a more meaningful way (I was just walking, for about 15 minutes, a few times a week) because I wanted to be able to eat more. It worked! I exercise now about 3-4 times a week, mostly cardio, and I burn up 400-500 calories each time.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Not 70-80, but I lost about 40 pounds before I started exercising.
  • sonianic
    sonianic Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So far all of my loss has been without exercise. I began at the start of January. I am now down 40 pounds. I make sure and eat a minimum of 1200 calories per day and try my best not to exceed my max calories for hte day. Most days I am closer to the 1200 than my max allotment. I also have been trying to eat lots of natural foods, up my fiber intake and lower my sodium. I have always been more active in the summer and we have a pool in the backyard so the diet alone thing will not be continuing. Which is good, I am now 22 pounds from goal and I think some exercise will help with toning.
  • umer76
    Options
    I would like to know this also lol

Looks like you are looking for a shortcut:)
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've lost nearly 90lbs in the last year and a half and my experience has been that it's 80% diet and 20% exercise. If you don't exercise you'll wind up with loose flappy skin. Skinny fat. Wouldn't you rather have a nice toned physique?
  • umer76
    Options
    The first 50 lbs I lost was all diet/calorie restriction, I did practically no exercise during that time. I have never had gastric bypass. I decided to start exercising in a more meaningful way (I was just walking, for about 15 minutes, a few times a week) because I wanted to be able to eat more. It worked! I exercise now about 3-4 times a week, mostly cardio, and I burn up 400-500 calories each time.
    I agree after losing some weight you feel lighter and energetic enough to start exercising. You have lost 50 lbs just with diet control which is great. How long it took you to reduce this weight?
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Im at 50...and going

As for the "Skinny Fat", that depends upon how much elasticity your skin still has.
  • Pakitalian
    Pakitalian Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I lost 162 lbs through Weight Watchers. No exercise besides walking to class because I was a college student. Had so many classes, I could never make it to the gym. Its possible, but in my experience you will have more extra skin than if you worked out. Exercise (especially weights) really helps with toning. I have gained 40 lbs back since I have been married (3 1/2 years) so I am back to lose that 40. It is possible, but I like working out now along with calorie control
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I agree after losing some weight you feel lighter and energetic enough to start exercising. You have lost 50 lbs just with diet control which is great. How long it took you to reduce this weight?

My progress has been slower than most, because life intervened and I stopped after 40 lbs lost, and stayed there for a year or so. Then I started losing again, and that was about 2.5 years ago. So just about 3 years total, spread over a 4 year time frame. But I repeat, mine was slower than usual.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Has anybody lost over 70-80 lbs just by controlling the diet and without doing exercise or jogging? I am curious to know that people who are losing lots of weight is it always a combination of diet and exercise or we can lose 80 lbs by being consistent and honest with the calories control only. Please share your experiences.

You can do that, and actually makes the math easier to deal with compared to adding exercise. But if you create too big a deficit, you'll burn up some muscle mass too - and you'll probably want that.
    Just walk 15 min almost every day, and select Lightly Active as activity level, and select 1.5 lbs weekly so it's not such an extreme deficit.

You'll likely lose more than that once you get going.

You'll probably change mind and perhaps safer and more realistic for exercise later on.

Diet is for fat loss.
    Exercise is for body improvement and heart health. It can both help and hinder fat loss depending on how you do it.
  • Jeepers133
    Jeepers133 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 pounds only counting calories. I ate 1200 a day for 7 months. I just started exercising this last week or so because my weight loss had slowed down.
  • lifes_revenge
    lifes_revenge Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    In agreement with Shaydon. I lost 30lbs and personally could hardly tell. One month of exercise and not much lb loss ALOT of inch loss and general shaping and toning. Conclusion, exercise provides far superior aesthetic results if you ignore the numbers on the scale. :)
  • umer76
    Options
    Looking at your comments it means one can easily do 50-60 lbs reduction by just controlling the diet. I agree exercise is a great combination. But i hope after losing 50 lbs i will have enough energy to start exercising:) For now i have a goal of atleast 90 min walk in a week.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Bottom line: You can lose weight on calorie restriction alone but then you will be skinny fat. You will appear skinny but you will not be healthy.

Cardio and strength training are both important for overall wellness, and isn't that what we're going for?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about calorie deficit. Exercise has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Exercise = fitness

Diet = weight loss

Two different concepts that are completely mutually exclusive. You can lose weight without changing your fitness level, and you can change your fitness level without losing weight.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Yes. I lost the first 75 lbs by doing nothing but my day-to-day activities. I then picked up exercise and loss has slowed considerably. So on that I would have to recommend don't pick up the exercise until after you lose the weight. That is just my experience I'm sure others differ but if I had to do it again I would do that. Too late for me now as I am in an gym contract so would be a waste of money if I didn't go.
  • sailorgrad
    sailorgrad Posts: 26
    Options
    My first 30 or so pounds were completely diet. At that point, I wanted to add stuff because I was feeling a lot more energetic. Now I'm on an eliptical about 5 days a week for 21 minutes each day. I've lost almost 80 pounds now. I think I could have without the exercise, but I think it would have taken me much longer to do and I might have gotten discouraged along the way.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about calorie deficit. Exercise has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Exercise = fitness

Diet = weight loss

Two different concepts that are completely mutually exclusive. You can lose weight without changing your fitness level, and you can change your fitness level without losing weight.

Couldn't you argue that exercise could be considered part of the calories in calories out equation as a means of calories out? I'm not suggesting that it needs to be. I wouldn't argue that you can't lose weight without exercising. It just seemed weird to see someone saying that weight loss is about calorie deficit and exercise has nothing to do with creating a calorie deficit when it certainly can--even if it doesn't have to. Perhaps it was just a phrasing issue for me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!