Lifting and when to weigh

Options
Ok, so I'm down into the last 10lbs I want to lose and I'm really starting to feel like I need to tone up so I'm increasing the amount of time I'm spending on weights. I know when I step on the scale the number is either going to be higher 1) because muscle will hold water to repair itself or 2) building muscle can cause some slight increases in weight. My question is If I'm actively doing weights every other day now will that number be continually higher by a pound or 2 because i'm weight lifting?

I tend to weigh daily and while I know it isn't a good thing I have a long history of weight issues and weighing daily helps keep me accountable. I just don't want to be discouraged and stop because I know this is a healthier move for me. So how long until i get on the scale will I have an accurate number again if I make this a permanent part of my routine?

Any an all experience or info is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• coniconstance
    coniconstance Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I was reading a blog on another site. This very fit person just wanted to "test" the thirty day shred. She was beautiful before, normal body.. but she took before pictures and after pictures. She didn't lose weight, but the pictures were amazingly different. Maybe take some photos, all angles, all parts, and then compare in thirty days. Then you'll see even if the weight is about the same, what a well toned body looks like.. it will be your own :)
  • Misha41810
    Misha41810 Posts: 22
    Options
    Bumping :) I have the same question as I am about to start New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • danabrash
    danabrash Posts: 67
    Options
    I think at some point it has to shift to a question of Body Fat %, not pounds on the scale. I personally want to lose FAT, not necessarily weight...

Scales w/ Body Fat readings are pretty common these days, not sure how accurate they are.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read, including in New Rules of Weightlifting for Women, points to some weight gain initially when you're lifting heavy. Diet is key, though. Playing with diet until you start to lose is what makes it work. Eat too much, you might stay at the same weight, eat too little, you might drop fast but then stop losing. Lift as much as you want, just keep calories at a consistent level and watch for either big weight fluctuations or none at all. I think once you've found the right calorie goal for your workout routine, you should start to lose at a steady rate. Hope that helps :)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Only speaking from experience, my weigh has pretty much stayed put the last few months, but I have indeed lost body fat. We tell people all the time, when lifting, especially heavy lifting, STEP AWAY FROM THE SCALE. I've actually changed my goal weight to 10 pounds heavier because my weight has stayed the same, but my body is a LOT smaller than it was the last time I was this weight.
  • rando348
    rando348 Posts: 22
    Options
    Everything I've read, including in New Rules of Weightlifting for Women, points to some weight gain initially when you're lifting heavy. Diet is key, though. Playing with diet until you start to lose is what makes it work. Eat too much, you might stay at the same weight, eat too little, you might drop fast but then stop losing. Lift as much as you want, just keep calories at a consistent level and watch for either big weight fluctuations or none at all. I think once you've found the right calorie goal for your workout routine, you should start to lose at a steady rate. Hope that helps :)

This is good advice above. Diet is key and also try taking pics and measurements. Weight is deceiving. . Also you aren't going to be adding pounds and pounds of muscle overnight. Adding weight training may not even increase your weight at all or just slightly.
  • adamantypants
    Options
    You're at the perfect place to be worrying about weight. Unfortunately, this also means you're going to need different measurements to track your "weight loss". Obviously you're concerned about losing fat but muscle gain is going to affect the scale.

What you'll need to start doing instead is taking measurements around your waist, thighs, arms, etc and track your loss that way. Also, I'd say invest in a scale that can track your fat percentage. Fitbit sells one that also tracks your BMI and uploads it to their servers automatically, assuming you're a member. When you use these scales make sure you're well hydrated. As with ALL scales, weigh yourself at the same time of day too. Personally I do it every morning after I've... ahem... used the restroom.
  • Meg_85
    Meg_85 Posts: 43
    Options
    Thank you all for all the great advice. I just did measurements this weekend so I'm hoping to maybe take measurements every 2-4 weeks only because i tend to be numbers oriented and pictures couldn't hurt either ;-). I'm still doing my cardio every other day but have definitely have increased my weight training and I can feel it big time today. I just borrowed some books on strength training for woman so I"m hoping that gives some insight.