Even my golf swing is better!

Options
Went golfing last week. Hadn't been since beginning my lifestyle change. Wow! what a difference! My swing felt so much more easy and natural and it was so much easier to stay balanced on my follow-through. I know why those pros spend so much time working out while they are on tour. It can make a huge difference.

Hope I'll notice the same this winter on the ski slopes. The old knees can use some help.

Has anyone else noticed any improvements in their leisure time activities since they lost their extra "baggage"?

Replies

• linzismith
    linzismith Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Just starting to count calories inspired me to start working out again (I used to be a college athlete and a wildland firefighter, but I really haven't worked out for the last four years). Initially I was just looking to burn a few extra calories so I didn't have to be quite so careful meeting my mealtime calorie limit.

Now, I'm back to running the mile-and-a-half in under 12 minutes (which is the target speed for female college athletes) and I'm playing soccer on a competitive mens team. I didn't think I'd ever be in this good of shape again!

BTW, CONGRATULATIONS on being so close to meeting your weight loss goal. I'm so proud of you!
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Wow! First, congratulations on losing 104 lbs. That is incredible! I didn't have that much to lose but it has been quite the journey getting physically fit. I have never been athletic or very fit but I now help with my daughters volleyball team and all the girls and the coach think I am athletic because I can actually get to the ball quickly AND hit it over the net. This summer on vacation we did all kinds of physical sports and I was actually decent at them! Volleyball, windsurfing, etc.

Wish I'd known this when I was younger! Oh well, having fun now!
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    Wow! First, congratulations on losing 104 lbs. That is incredible! I didn't have that much to lose but it has been quite the journey getting physically fit. I have never been athletic or very fit but I now help with my daughters volleyball team and all the girls and the coach think I am athletic because I can actually get to the ball quickly AND hit it over the net. This summer on vacation we did all kinds of physical sports and I was actually decent at them! Volleyball, windsurfing, etc.

Wish I'd known this when I was younger! Oh well, having fun now!

Thanks, I've still got more to lose to weigh what I did on our wedding day but I am now able to wear my 35 year old Levis with the 34 in waist! I used to coach my son's soccer team and ran with the kids all the time (15-20 years ago) so I know what you mean about staying up with the kids. Don't know why I let myself go to pot (literally). "If we knew then what we know now... " BTW you look great! Staying up with the kids is a full time job, I'll bet.
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    Just starting to count calories inspired me to start working out again (I used to be a college athlete and a wildland firefighter, but I really haven't worked out for the last four years). Initially I was just looking to burn a few extra calories so I didn't have to be quite so careful meeting my mealtime calorie limit.

Now, I'm back to running the mile-and-a-half in under 12 minutes (which is the target speed for female college athletes) and I'm playing soccer on a competitive mens team. I didn't think I'd ever be in this good of shape again!

BTW, CONGRATULATIONS on being so close to meeting your weight loss goal. I'm so proud of you!

Wow! Wildland fire fighter! What a job! The Best Man at my older son's wedding is a hele-peller in Oregon. I know what kind of fitness level you must have had to maintain.

Congratulations on your running time! My younger son is a "ruggler". He juggles while he runs or hikes mountains - must have inherited that from his mother's side :wink: He plans to juggle his way up Mt. Kilimanjaro next year.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I played golf a week ago 25 lbs lighter than the last time I played. I can definatly echo what you're going through. Although it didn't help my score any, it certainly felt easier.

While I'm not at my High School weight yet, This is definatly the lightest I have been since I've been playing golf.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I like the changes overall, but losing the weight kind of threw my game into chaos this year. It basically changed my body and I have been trying all year to get back to a consistent swing.

When I am "on", I am hitting the ball a lot farther--20-30 yds on the drive and one club higher (at least) on my irons. It's just not consistent.

I also went from being a "push right/slice" hitter when I make a mistake to a "pull" left hitter. Mostly it's that I am shifting weight and turning my hips faster than before plus I haven't found a good angle of address. It's really weird--between the extra distance and playing the left side of the fairway, all of my usual courses are like brand new!
  • evatorrez
    Options
    I have noticed a huge difference in both my leisure and daily activites. It is amazing how much torture our poor little knees can endure. I noticed that while I was golfing I hit the ball better too it is a great feeling.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!