Have been doing so well....until today

Options
Today was a rough one. Have been just kind of "off" all day, in a bit of a funk. Forgot an appointment, and had to leave work before my lunchtime walk....and forgot my shoes under my desk, derailing the evening walk. (I know, need a new pair of tennies so i have a spare) Then, this evening, my teenage daughter and her friends wanted Taco Bell. Oh, Taco Bell....how I've missed you. The whole way there, the debate was raging in my head. You know the drill....should I eat it, should I not, I want it, but I shouldn't.

I did.

A burrito supreme and a taco supreme later (both dunked in nacho cheese sauce, because they weren't unhealthy enough to begin with)....and I'm feeling so guilty, and gross. My gut aches, I feel bloated, and just angry with myself. My little Taco Bell binge was not nearly satisfying enough to counteract the way I feel right now. What's wierd is, I had the calories available - I'm over on sodium, but not to catastrophic levels...so why do I feel so terrible about this? Not the end of the world....right?

I've been on MFP for a little over 50 days - and I'm down 17lbs, which is roughly a quarter of the way to my goal weight. My head knows this can't be derailed by a little TB, especially within calorie goals....but I'm still struggling with it. Need to get my frame of mind turned around.

Replies

• maryellen8301
    maryellen8301 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    today is one day.. accept it and move on.. you have done a WONDERFUL job so far.. you have lost 17 lbs.. thats great.. make tomorrow better and get right back on track..
    good luck
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Meh, everybody has an off day. It won't kill you. It won't wreck your progress. In fact, it might be good to splurge once in a while to keep your metabolism fired up.

Now, the foods you chose made you feel yucky, so that's something to avoid. Remember that feeling.

Let go of the guilt. Eating that food didn't hurt anybody. Not even you. It's just food. It's not inherently evil. You made a choice to help you through a rough day. Period. It wasn't the choice you wish you'd made, but it was still a valid choice. You're human. Stop beating yourself up over this. Learn from it, and move on.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yep. Today is just one day. Forgive yourself. Remember how crappy you feel right now and don't do it again... is it worth it? No way. Keep doing what you've been doing.

Even skinny people have off days. It's okay to have one.

I hope you have a better day tomorrow!
  • nbsambucca
    nbsambucca Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    no. not the end of the world. chalk it up to experience. next time you are tempted to do this again, remember how miserable you felt afterwards. and if you only eat ONE burrito or taco supreme,...then you improved!! lol....no really, it didnt take you one day to get to where you WERE...and one day wont put you back there. :)
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Log everything and remember you always have tomorrow! I've had off days and given up for 8 months, but it isn't holding me back as I am finally ready to commit myself to a healthier lifestyle.

I say log everything because it holds you accountable. I started by skipping one or two logs when I ate poorly and eventually got completely derailed (over the course of a few months) and ended up gaining everything back.

Good luck and stay strong!
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many calories or what micronutrients or ingredients were in what you ate. But, it's ok. It's going to happen. And it's one day. One day in the scheme of things is a nano second. Less. Tomorrow is a fresh day. I'm sorry your tummy is upset and you feel bloated. I too had a similar day and went over my calories. I've been in a horrible mood all day and not fit to be around. Let's both forget it and move on. You have done great and will continue to do great. And listen: when we crave something, it's best to eat it and get over it.
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it.

It's just one day, log everything you ate, regardless of how unhealthy you may think it is, make a note in your diary, and keep on keeping on :)

One day isn't going to completely derail you, so try your hardest not to feel guilty about it.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Today is just one day, and I admit I feel the same when I have my off days. I try to look at it positively by remembering that feeling in the future to help me make better choices when it comes to eating out... you know on those other future off days lol
  • Epetrovitch
    Epetrovitch Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Savor it, log it, learn from it and forget it! Focus on your long range vision of where you want to be in terms of your health etc. You've done great so far and eating TB is not the end of the world or your quest to be where you want to be!
  • bigpenguin570
    bigpenguin570 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    We all have bad days - just don't let it become a bad week or bad month. Pick yourself up by the bootstraps and march onward!
  • Cyndieann
    Cyndieann Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It can be tuff for sure, take a moment to think about the "yuck" you're feeling right now & remember that you don't want to feel that way again. But for the times when you just have to do it...pay yourself back. Total up the # of calories you ate in your moment of weekness and workout till you hit that #. I do this over the course of the week, adding 10mins here & there to my workouts until I've "payed it back". Even when I don't go over my daily intake amount...I do it to hold myself accountable. This is working for me, I've lost every week for 11 weeks. Don't be to hard on yourself, you are allowed to live it up now and then you know! Good luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • MartinaC32
    MartinaC32 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Brush yourself off and wake up tomorrow beginning a new day. Sometimes we have to cave into our cravings to keep ourselves sane. You had the calories left and only went over on your sodium by a little. It's no big deal. Tomorrow you may physically still feel like crap because of the sodium but by the middle of the day you should be feeling back to normal.

We all have our "off days". Some people just binge on different foods. You are not alone my friend.

Hope tomorrow is a better day for you. Don't let this little incident set you back. You've come so far in 50 days! 17 lbs is AMAZING.
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have this experience about once a week .... its ok to have a cheat day .... trick your body a little! :)
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Relax. A lot of people take cheat meals every week or two; some people even take entire cheat days! It doesn't throw them off and it won't throw you off. You're still on the right track and you are staying on that track as long as you keep your goals in sight; don't worry about one meal!
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Log everything and remember you always have tomorrow! I've had off days and given up for 8 months, but it isn't holding me back as I am finally ready to commit myself to a healthier lifestyle.

I say log everything because it holds you accountable. I started by skipping one or two logs when I ate poorly and eventually got completely derailed (over the course of a few months) and ended up gaining everything back.

Good luck and stay strong!

I think this is kindof what I'm afraid of....I logged it all - I always do. I'm worried about the slippery slope...today it's TB within calories, and next it's a little over, or I've gotta have the freezy drink with it....and so on. Probably the "funk" I've been in all day making me feel worse than the ACTUAL meal. UGH.

You all are right. It's 1 day, not the end of the world. Dust off and get back at it, right? *pushing the reset button on my attitude*.
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's anything to worry about. Especially if you have been watching what you have been eating. It's definitely okay to have a "free day" every so often.
  • Promqueen_74932
    Promqueen_74932 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    today is one day.. accept it and move on.. you have done a WONDERFUL job so far.. you have lost 17 lbs.. thats great.. make tomorrow better and get right back on track..
    good luck

Agreed! TAKE Today as a reminder! You're only human and all humans make mistakes. Tomorrow is another day! Just stay away from Taco Bell! LOL!

I used to take a week off every month from exercise and loggin'. I've still managed to lose 100 lbs! Now I take Saturdays off! LOL! Don't let this one day discourage you!

Sara
  • schma100
    schma100 Posts: 9
    Options
    Second Day here on MFP - signed up last week but started yesterday - still need to get my beautiful pic up:) :P What Im learning and of course, from having learned from all my diets - that this is a program of rethinking -calculating - keeping it simple and to log and comment on dreary days so we can get out of our heads and leave that committee meeting thats running over time - I for one havent figured it out.....you loosing 17 pounds gives me motivation...thank you. If we were like dogs, living in the moment, we wouldnt be so upset about what we ate becasue that moments gone - we would be thinking about ...is my master taking me on a walk? Are they going to let me in? Is the bed ready? . I am lucky to have a place to remind myself that Im on the right course - and its in these rooms I do it safely.... Cheers to You!!!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is a new day.

This isn't a diet, it is a lifestyle change. In order to change our lifestyle, sometimes we need to revisit our "old" life to remember how much better the "new" life is. You wanted the Taco Bell so you ate it. Now, you're are seeing that your "old" lifestyle doesn't quite feel the way it used to, right?

Now, next time you have a craving for Taco Bell - you'll probably say to yourself "Ack. Remember when we had it back in june and we felt disgusting? Yeah. Not doing THAT again".

Don't worry about it. It was one day and it isn't the end of the world even if you decided to eat Taco Bell once a week. As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll be fine. Too many people think this has to be ALL or NOTHING. It doesn't.

Let me tell you that I LOVE cookies and M&M's in my yogurt. I eat both of these every single day and I've been maintaining my weight for nearly 2 years doing so.

Drink a lot of water -- the sodium in the TB will likely show on the scale in the next couple days.
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I used to take a week off every month from exercise and loggin'. I've still managed to lose 100 lbs! Now I take Saturdays off! LOL! Don't let this one day discourage you!

Sara - 100lbs...wow...Now that's inspiring!