How NOT to have left-over calories?

I am on the 1200 a day and even after dinner, I have normally around 400 left (little more or less depending on exercise). What's the best way to not have so much and just have like 150 to have something light before bed (or 8-8:30 at the latest)? Anyone else have this issue? I guess I'm always afraid of going over for dinner and then still have a ton left.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    I am honestly curious of how you did it. 1200 calories is so little; it's so easy to go over for me...
  • alikat42
    alikat42 Posts: 213 Member
    Plan ahead. I plan the next day before I go to bed. If my mood changes, I know how many calories I have to play with.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Plan ahead. I plan the next day before I go to bed. If my mood changes, I know how many calories I have to play with.

Yep. Especially plan your dinner. The number of calories shouldn't be a surprise that has you afraid you'll go over.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Eat eggs and fruit. Both are good for you and it's easy to eat 2 or 3 eggs, which can add 140-210 calories to your day easy. Fruit is a great snack and I know it doesn't fill me up at all, so you won't be full before dinner.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Two words. Peanut. Butter.
  • EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    More often than not.....i eat up to and over 1200....even when i eat well....now when i add in alot of exercise....i find it a bit harder....but you can snack on something healthy.....nuts, avocados, cheese, yogurts...something...so that you are not starving your body :)
  • aeroback
    aeroback Posts: 66 Member
    Thanks everyone. I do alot of 100 cal packs of snack and plain ice cream cones, but they are so low in calories I would have to eat a ton to reach my 1200. Some days I could go over but since I have been really trying to stick to 200ish cals for my meals and little things in between to not be so hungry. Right now, I am starving and I just ate dinner an hour ago! And it was mahi mahi and rice.... healthy but not overly filling. Going to treadmill after the babies go to bed... then I'll be up to 450 again. Thinking of doing low cal protein shakes too for after the workouts to help.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Thanks everyone. I do alot of 100 cal packs of snack and plain ice cream cones, but they are so low in calories I would have to eat a ton to reach my 1200. Some days I could go over but since I have been really trying to stick to 200ish cals for my meals and little things in between to not be so hungry. Right now, I am starving and I just ate dinner an hour ago! And it was mahi mahi and rice.... healthy but not overly filling. Going to treadmill after the babies go to bed... then I'll be up to 450 again. Thinking of doing low cal protein shakes too for after the workouts to help.

that is all you eat throughout the day? " I do alot of 100 cal packs of snack and plain ice cream cones"?

Rice and mahi sounds better and more balanced. :) but depending on how much you eat, it can easily round up to 250 calories.
  • Grissay
    Grissay Posts: 112 Member
    Nuts!
    A 1/4 cup of walnuts is 200 calories. But full of good stuff :)
  • aeroback
    aeroback Posts: 66 Member
    No, I eat other stuff... LOL...... cereal, light soups, 200 cal pizza, I was just saying that I eat snacks in between meals to keep my stomach from getting mad at me!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    1/3 cup of almonds is 330 calories and also has a bunch of healthy fats and protein for you. It's not a lot to eat even if you're really not hungry, and you can lower it to 1/4 cup if you want to have a few more calories left over for something light before bed.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    You eat light soups, 100-calorie snack packs, and all of these low-calorie foods, and then you don't understand why your calories are so low. Maybe you should eat regular food instead of "diet" food.
  • allycat54
    allycat54 Posts: 67 Member
    Totally agree about the peanut butter.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    I bring an ounce of nuts to snack on at work for afternoon treat. An ounce is almost 200 calories so that usually takes care of my leftover for the day.
  • StrawberrySt
    StrawberrySt Posts: 235
    You eat light soups, 100-calorie snack packs, and all of these low-calorie foods, and then you don't understand why your calories are so low. Maybe you should eat regular food instead of "diet" food.

^^ THIS

Eat normal foods and cut out the 'low fat' or 'diet' stuff. You'll feel fuller for longer and be way more satisfied! It will probably decrease your sodium and sugar as well
  • Charmed285
    Charmed285 Posts: 189 Member
    I thought it was good that you are under your calorie intake as long as it's not too much under and eating regularly.... is that not right? I'm suppose to eat exactly 1200 calories?
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    I agree with planning ahead. Keep your 200cal breakfast, add a string cheese to your 200cal lunch (or afternoon snack) to make 300, and shoot for 500 cal for dinner - 4-5oz protein, 1 cup rice/potatoes/couscous/pasta, 1 cup veggies, and a bit of fat - olive oil to cook in. That leaves you 200 for a snack after dinner, a bit more if you need to eat exercise calories.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Just eat more, it isn't good to be starving, your body needs the food just to function.... breath, digestion, heart and lungs, brain etc.... they all need calories, even healthy fats.
  • I have to agree with the comment about the "diet foods" your already on a diet! Lol, but seriously if you do treadmill and eat those daft sized meals (weight watchers is a prime suspect) it's no wonder you find your always hungry and left with too many cals to use (and getting that "your eating too few calories" message).
    The one thing I find I go over on mostly, is the fats/carbs/protiens....since cheese is loaded with those and most of the other stuff I normally eat too. (I'm a cheese addict lol)
    I would suggest to you if you want to boost your cal intake without blowing it entirely...eat clementines/satsumas...they give you cals but none of the other stuff.
    Hope that helps!
    P.S....does anyone know if it matters much to go over the other listed things, or do you just have to keep your cals intake under to loose? I have found for the passed month I am stuck at the same weight and I am not doing anything different. Thanx.