Is my fat changing?

Options
Ok I can't really explain this. My problem area is around my waist. The rest of my body is rather skinny, I would probably fall in the skinny fat category.

I have heard that fat cells never leave they just get smaller and that these cells redistribute in other places as your body shape improves????

I am having a hard time reducing my problem area but I have noticed that my stomach is a lot more flabby and the fat is spreading out more? I think it is primarily subcutaneous fat at this time. I think I have burned of most of the hard visceral fat away and perhaps that is where this perceived flabbiness is coming from?

Is this a sign of weight loss to come? or what is your theory?

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Are you working out your abs?
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I think our bodies change constantly ... During my loss so far, I've noticed it all over... as muscle builds, some areas get bulgier, thinning out over time as the fat is burned "away"... my mid-section seems to balloon and shrink as well.

I have some major weight to lose, so I'm trying to keep a balance between cardio (walking, biking, elliptical) and full-body strength training (dumbells, resistance bands, heavy lifting) that work me over from head to toe.

You can't really focus your workouts on one particular region, but keep an all-over approach that builds muscle and burns fat. Eventually, that last "problem area" will succumb - your biology/genetics will ultimately determine how far that goes, though.

11842605.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Spunds like you are burning fat from your cells...

you are right in the fact that your fat cells don't disappear but they can "deflate" as you use the energy stored in them.

Because a lb of fat takes up a much greater volume then a lb of muscle it is entirely possible for you to really tone down and slim your body without seeing much on the scale - - some people can show quite a change in thier body composition without budging on the scale (or even going up on the scale) hence why body measurements are a far better indicator than scale weight
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone, this is very helpful information.

In response to Captain_Tight, I am not doing a ton of ab work. Kind of neglecting it really. However, A lot of the stuff I am doing is giving me sore abs like they have been worked.
  • tinaloveshotpants
    tinaloveshotpants Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I hold most of my excess weight around my tummy, my last one to one with the personal trainer at the gym he said no amount of ab work will shift it and it's about cardo and keeping your heart rate up while working out. Have you tried interval training or invest in a heart rate monitor
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Yes, I often do interval training when I am doing cardio. But I also just do straight runs on the treadmill because I like to see how my fitness has improved.

No HRM yet, I am trying to lose weight as cheaply as possible even though I would like one.

I think I need to up my cardio a bit more, once I made it halfway I haven't been working quite as hard even though I am still losing.
  • JAcerz
    JAcerz Posts: 5
    Options
    What's your diet like? I would also reconsider the cardio and lean towards conditioning work. Another question, what type of resistance training do you do if any?