Are you calorie obsessed?

Options
Sometimes I feel like I am calorie obsessed. I always check calorie content before I eat something and I feel like I constantly have calories on my mind. I feel the need to measure and weigh everything so I know exactly what I am consuming. I have turned away silly things like a mint because I didn't want to waste a small amount of calories. Having to log everything on here has certainly held me accountable, I am just afraid I am taking it to the extreme. I have been doing very well with my eating and staying away from lots of processed and convenience -type foods. I had pizza today which is the first thing that I have eaten that I did not cook over the past month. Part of the reason behind the pizza was too prove to myself that I can let go a bit on the calorie control a little bit. I was just wondering if other people feel the same and how others handle it.

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I do everything you do with the exception of the mint thing. Lol. I dont worry about mints and gum. :) I dont think it is obsessive though, at least not in a negative way. Thats the entire point of all this, right? To know what and how much we r putting in our bodies so we can b healthy.
  • suzanne_oh
    suzanne_oh Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty as charged! Sitting here right now thinking about calories, mostly because I'm at my daily limit and I'm still hungry! :sad:
  • racmar0208
    racmar0208 Posts: 16
    Options
    I totally understand. Before I joined MFP I constantly would have my phone calculator out trying to figure out how many calories I had eaten all day. So I have probably actually relaxed a little bit since I joined because it is all so easy. I will input all my food for the entire day first thing in the morning so I know first thing how many calories I will eat that day. I thought that might be a little obsessive,lol, but I find that I think less about food when I know I have already planned what I am going to eat.

As far as being obsessive, I think I have to be in order to be successful. With me, it's either all or nothing. If I don't think about it all the time, I won't think about it at all.

But that might just be me :) Either way, you certainly aren't alone.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty as charged! Sitting here right now thinking about calories, mostly because I'm at my daily limit and I'm still hungry! :sad:

Have some veggies or some gum (the chewing might trick your body)!

Thanks for the feedback. I feel a bit better :happy:
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    I am a little calorie obsessed, however it is a fast improvement from "point obsessed" when I was trying weight watchers. It seemed I was constantly counting and then recounting my points and then thinking all sorts of irrational things. I go back and forth with the little things like gum. Some days I log it and some I don't. Realistically depending on your goals and your self control (which it seems you don't lack) I think decides how crazy you go with the counting. When you think about it, some days you probably over estimate how many calories you consume for those unmeasured items and some underestimate so it all balances out. That's all this really is, a game of balance. You would have to consume an aweful lot of mints every week and not log them in order to hinder progress :)

In short...it's a good obsession, run with it !
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am. Very much so.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I learned to count everything...Well I still don't count a handful spinach leaves or chopped cilantro...but I count everything else as long as I can find information. But I still wonder if the data is accurate as I am not losing weight as I was told.
  • suzanne_oh
    suzanne_oh Posts: 95 Member
    Options

As far as being obsessive, I think I have to be in order to be successful. With me, it's either all or nothing. If I don't think about it all the time, I won't think about it at all.

I agree, obsession is the only way I can stay focused on the end goal...but it is really tough dealing with hunger. I see people on here saying they have a hard time eating 1200 calories, and I'm like "WHHHHHAAAAATTTT????" lol
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Yup....Its what helped me lose 96 pounds last year.....then I went to the other extreme...and got lazy, stopped exercing, and counting calories........shocker..I gained some weight back! .............
  • mtaylor1980
    mtaylor1980 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have only recently started counting every calorie. I never cared before, but I guess that's how I got to be 30 lbs overweight! It drives my boyfriend nuts though, I think he seriously gets annoyed because I have been taking it too far, and jumping on here to log every cracker that I shove in my piehole.
    It;s not that he isn't supportive, I totally agree that it is annoying when someone (me) has to scrutinize everything...I need to really chill, as long as I am eating clean, healthy foods..
  • angimac
    angimac Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite quotations is
    Obsessed - it's what the Lazy call the Dedicated

I started MFP last August, and I've not missed a day logging since I started. I read labels. I look up nutrition info before I order something. Sometimes I quick add calories, but I still log. I can eyeball servings/portions, for the most part. I am still not ready to face the world of food without logging and weighing though.

If it's something you feel like you need to do to get where you want/need to be, then do it and don't concern yourself with what other people think. You are responsible for your health and happiness... not theirs!
  • VannessaKss
    Options
    I guess i am calorie obsessed, but instead of thinking is bad (like most of the people i know think it is) i feel is a good thing , i like to know what am i consuming . :)
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    LOL I am NOW! j/k I just found a new prog today & decided to try this 'zig-zag' calorie thing so yeah. I'm counting
  • mskathyw
    mskathyw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I even count my vitamins because some of those have calories. I also weigh and measure everything, even lettuce.
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i am with you!! it drives others and sometimes myself crazy! but i take it a step farther and moniter my macros very closely... if it doesnt fit my macros then i dont eat it... i am always thinking about calories. and i am scared to go over because if the scale doesnt go down then i will know it was because i chose to eat "unhealthy" food. sometimes i think its a good thing because it keeps me accountable and has me eating "clean"other times i think it drives me a bit mad! (i also have OCD so this doesnt help) but you are definetly not alone
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i am guilty lol. im sitting here thinking what calories are n this and that. n should i work out to benefit me and my calorie intake etc...
  • kelbelzz
    kelbelzz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I totally am. They consume my life.
    I can't go out to eat without looking up the calorie amount of things, or staying at home eating healthy things because the amount of calories in things freaks me out.
  • kellycdowney
    Options
    I feel like I have been totally calorie obsessed lately. It hit a fever pitch today when I was mentally having an argument with myself over whether I should have a sample at the grocery store because I didn't know how to log it and thought it would be too many calories. So, I totally know how you feel! After that, I had to take a step back and realize that although I can't have a 100% accurate diary, I am doing very well and I should be proud of myself. Counting calories has done wonders for my diet and improved a lot of bad habits. So, I'll chill out...just a little though!
  • bellavita0125
    bellavita0125 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    YES! I am totally calorie obsessed. It drives my family nuts, but hey, it really is the only way I can keep myself accountable. My mom had suggested that I forget calorie counting and just work on strict portion control and exercise. Well, I tried that for a couple days and I noticed that I couldn't hold myself accountable. Since I wasn't logging calories, I didn't keep track of what I ate and I would eat until I felt stuffed (didn't bother with portion control at all) . I quickly caught myself and have decided to continue counting calories. Although I am a mad woman when counting calories (hopefully I will get over that quickly), I feel much better about myself. It's a good obsession I guess..
  • Octopies
    Octopies Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've started doing the same thing... but, you know, once you learn what a healthy portion looks like you won't have to actually break out the scales and measuring cups anymore. At that point you won't be thinking about how many calories, all you'll be thinking about is how healthy that portion is.