Went to a bariatric surgery meeting last night

Options
what to do, my mind is racing to do it or not to do it. the surgeron didnt really talk about the sleeve surgery much as he said there just isnt alot of data for it out there. the lap band sounds like it has alot of ricks. the one he talked alot about is The Roux-en-Y procedure. there are ricks in all but the sleeve sounds good and is not reversable, but the Roux one is. the lap band is also. any thougts on the one? found out my insurance does cover it in full. this is a big decison i have ever made. i need some help a sign something.

Replies

• janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I don't think that you need to make the decision now. Continue to go through the process. Meet with the doctors, go to support groups, talk with the dietician and do whatever work ups you need. You will need to lose some weight on your own first, that is usually a requirement. Talk with people who have had the different surgeries. Compare the benefits and risks of each surgery and which one you can live with (certains foods may not be eaten after, supplements needed etc). Also compare it with not doing the surgery and losing on your own. Whichever you choose, you will need to make lifestyle changes or the weight will come back. You are the only one that can make this decision for yourself. Keep in mind that the surgeries are only a tool and not a solution. Best of luck with your decision.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Honesly Todd...I have 5 friends that did bariatric.... all of them gained the weight back and then some. They also now have to deal with NUMEROUS health issues because of it. They do not lead a normal life anymore. I think you can do this without resorting to surgery...just got to hang tough and get with the program! It DOES work!
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I know people who have had both types,the band ,and the surgery. It will work, BUT you need to change your lifestyle and if you are going to have to anyway, why not try it on your own . support groups for over eaters may offer the needed support. It comes down to your decision and nobody can make it for you. there is good and bad in every choice, take your time and decide wisely. I wish you all the best,keep your focus on 'the prize' ,whatever that means for you.....
  • jkr12
    jkr12 Posts: 31
    Options
    Both my mother, and my brother, got the lap band surgery.

They lost a lot at first, but since they didn't make a lifestyle change, they're back to their weight and more. My brother doesn't keep his inflated and my mother eventually had to have hers taken out in an emergency surgery because it had moved and she hadn't been able to keep any liquids down for almost a week.

I'm not saying this isn't the right thing for you, I'm just saying the whole this is POINTLESS if it's not a lifestyle change. It can't be a quick fix. Both my mother and brother have deeper rooted things going on that's fueling their food addiction and obesity, and their lack of taking it seriously, or making the change, is what led to the surgery being, overall, unsuccessful.

Does your MD have a program that goes with it? My families surgeon had a program, and you would go in weekly and weigh in, they did classes, they had follow ups, they had nurses that were coaches and nutritionists/dieticians that taught classes. They addressed everything, even emotional health, pre and post surgery. When I found all that out I was sad! My mom and brother lost such a great opportunity for support!

Really, in the end, it's all up to you!

Good luck!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Everyone else has already said what I'd say; it's not a replacement for a lifestyle change. I would see if you can keep a healthy lifestyle for a month or two, think long and hard about whether or not you can commit to the things you will need to commit to after the surgery, and let your answer to that question be your answer to the surgery.
  • Amber50lbsDown
    Amber50lbsDown Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I dont know your story but I have seen many people on this site who have lost 100s of pounds without surgery. Like the others have said it will work but you may gain all the weight back.
    I dont know what you have tried or how long you have been trying to lose the weight but like the others have said you need to make this a lifestyle change and change all your habbits and try it out first and then if you still feel the need to get surgery that is up to you. I wish you the best in whatever you decide and hope you get the results you are looking for.
  • AshleyNStanley
    Options
    i HAD THE SLEEVE AND AM IN MONTH 3 AND HAVE LOST 64 POUNDS. THE SLEEVE IS WONDERFUL AND I LOVE IT!!!
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I HATE, let me reiterate that HATE HATE HATE HATE my lapband.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else is saying, you need to have a healthy lifestyle for that to work. And from what I've read and people I've talked to, you should make that change before you get the surgery. It would be like getting hit with two bats at once, instead of one. Take one bat at a time.
  • forsettii
    forsettii Posts: 29
    Options
    Look I have a friend that had lap band.

She would pop her band off and eat anything she wanted.

Fast forward 4 years.

She now has a sleave. Can't pop it off, has lost 68 pounds and well she is not moving smaller by any means.

She doesn't eat right, she doesn't exercise, she cheats anytime she thinks she can.

I have lost 42 pounds by eating better, walking, riding my bike and doing old fashioned exercise.

You have to do what is right for you, but if you want / feel the need to cheat I would stay away from it. It is a lifestyle change, not a passing whim.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Honesly Todd...I have 5 friends that did bariatric.... all of them gained the weight back and then some. They also now have to deal with NUMEROUS health issues because of it. They do not lead a normal life anymore. I think you can do this without resorting to surgery...just got to hang tough and get with the program! It DOES work!

I can give testimony to this, I had RNY (many many years ago) and it is NOT easily reversible, I have numerous health problems. If I knew then, all that I know now, life would be much different.
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    TheChocolatePrincess Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I say take a year and try and see how much you can lose on your own. If you aren't successful, then go for it. I know there are a lot of risks but you should weigh the risks of the surgery against the risks of remaining large. Write them down if it helps. Pray and stay encouraged. ((hugs))
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Doctors/surgeons push drugs and surgery.

You can do this on your own, and reap the benefits without the danger and complications.

Go to the "Groups" tab above, and in the search field type "lose 100 pounds" - there are several groups and hundreds of people who have done this without the unecessary surgical "fix".

I know three people who had the various surgeries. They all gained back the weight. What's the point if you don't learn to make the actual life-changes? Save the money and put it toward something you really want as a reward after you lose the weight. Vacation? New stereo?
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    How long have you tried counting your calories on MFP?
  • Dawn200321
    Dawn200321 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a lap band and it does work. You still need to make the lifestyle change..no way around it but it does help the hunger feeling you get from dieting....I have been pretty successful with it this far but like I said you still have to be willing to change your lifestyle or it will not work
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    You need to talk to people that have had them...positive & negitive.....so you know what your in for. That way your are more informed.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I started here, not knowing that 2 years later I would be over 130 lbs lighter. I would start tracking your food, get moving- even just walking or whatever you can do, and see if MFP will work. I feel so proud of myself for changing my life, living healthier, and getting FIT! :) I know that MFP does work- but it works because the individual must commit to the change. I think you should really research your options and give this site a try. You may be surprised how much you can achieve on your own! :flowerforyou:
  • bp716
    bp716 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    As a nurse who cares for some patients after various surgeries, they all have risks.

If you are not willing to make PERMANENT changes in your lifestyle, it will all be for nothing.s
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it. You will lose weight, but if you don't learn how to watch your calories you are going to gain it back. If you do learn to count your calories, you can lose the weight without the lapband. Track your calories and do a little walking and you will drop the weight.
  • AshleyNStanley
    Options
    i GOT ON HERE AFTER I HAD THE SLEEVE TO HELP ME COUNT MY CALORIES AND PROTEIN. I GET ON EVERY DAY AND WATCH WHAT I EAT. IF YOU ARENT COMMITED TO LOSING THE WEIGHT, YOU WONT. I CAN STILL EAT BAD THINGS, BUT I DONT. I CHOOSE THE HEALTHIER THINGS WITH NUTRIENTS THAT I NEED. I WAS ONE OF THOSE THAT TRIED OVER AND OVER AND ALWAYS FAILED. WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY IS JUST A TOOL TO HELP YOU LOSE THE WEIGHT. I DO NOT REGRET IT AT ALL AND IT HAS MADE MY LIFE SO MUCH BETTER. I CAN BE OUT IN THE HEAT AND NOT GET OVER HEATED. I PLAY WITH MY KIDS MORE, I CAN NOW BUY SMALLED CLOTHES THAT ARENT PLUS SIZE!!! ALL IN 2 1/2 MONTHS!!! I STILL HAVE ABOUT 80 POUNDS TO GO, BUT I COULDNT BE HAPPIER WITH THE RESULTS. YOU NEED TO TALK TO PEOPLE THAT HAVE HAD IT. PEOPLE THAT HAVENT HAD IT AND LOST THE WEIGHT ON THEIR OWN DO NOT KNOW WHAT IT FEELS LIKE... I WANTED TO BE HEALTHY FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE AND I AM FINALLY GETTING THAT. EACH DAY I GET A LITTLE CLOSER AND A LITTLE HEALTHIER. SINCE MY SURGERY, LIKE I SAID EARLIER, I HAVE LOST 64 POUNDS, I EXERCISE AND EAT SOOOO MUCH HEALTHIER AND SOOOO MUCH LESS... I CUT OUT MY ADDICTION, DIET DR PEPPER AND I DID THAT NOT BECAUSE I HAD TO, BUT BECAUSE I WANTED TO. ALSO, I DONT EAT SWEETS ANYMORE. I DO ANYTHING I CAN TO GET PROTEIN AND KEEP MY CALORIES LOW. NO ONE CAN MAKE YOUR MIND UP FOR YOU. THIS IS A TOTAL LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE THAT ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE. IF YOU ARE SOMEONE THAT HAS TRIED OVER AND OVER TO LOSE WEIGHT AND FAILED, I WOULD GO FOR IT. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THE LAPBAND OR THE BYPASS BECAUSE THE BAND CAN SLIP AND THE BYPASS DOESNT GET THE NUTRIENTS TO YOUR BODY LIKE IT SHOULD. WITH THE SLEEVE, THE ONLY THING THAT HAPPENS IS YOUR STOMACH GETS CUT OUT AND IS 3/4 THE SIZE THAT IS WAS SO YOU JUST CANT EAT WHAT YOU DID BEFORE. YOUR PORTION SIZE GOES WAY DOWN AND BY THE TIME YOU GET TO WHERE I AM, FOOD ISNT A HOBBY ANYMORE. IT IS JUST SOMETHING TO KEEP ME ALIVE AND HEALTHY. DO WHAT YOU THINK IS BEST FOR YOU. ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE! :-)