PEACE OUT, MOUNTAIN DEW!

Options
I am proud to announce I have not had any soda since Saturday! I am a caffeine addict, and although I'm in no position to give up caffeine completely, I decided to swap my favorite Mountain Dew for sugar free coffee and tea in the morning, and water in the afternoon and evening. It became my signature drink- I've had numerous friends say how they had a Mountain Dew and it reminded them of me because I always have it. That's when I realized I need to dissociate myself with the sugary crap!

I've had a much easier time meeting or being under my calorie intake goals in the past four days since quitting the Dew. I also find that I haven't had to go to the bathroom as much while I run, and I don't feel constantly parched during my 5-6 mile outings.

A cold Dew sounds very good right now, but I'll stick to my healthier options for now!! Four days is not a very long time, but when you drink one soda a day at 170 calories a soda, that is omitting over 1000 calories a week! If I am going to go over in my calories, I would much rather it be something that is not complete garbage, like fruit or protein. I'm sure I will cave in on special occasions, but I am hoping to make a positive change for the better and give up my soda addiction once and for all!

Replies

• rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Great job!!
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Keep it up - I cut out Coke for 15 days when I first started. When I had a sip of Coke that first time, it about made me sick. Every now and again, I'll have soda - but it's very rare and I tend to stick to water or unsweet tea.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    congrats...ice lemon water (lots of fresh lemon) helps...after a few more days you wont miss the dew. After awhile, When (if) you take a drink of dew or other soda, you will be amazed at how it assaults your taste buds
  • rdy2lose
    rdy2lose Posts: 106
    Options
    Yahoo, way to go!
  • BridgetMiko
    BridgetMiko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Good for you! It's hard to drop something you're used to having everyday but you're so right about making the calories you have count. Best of luck!
  • chapparra27
    chapparra27 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Giving up Mountain dew was almost as hard as quitting smoking for me! But I did both :)
    You will feel so much better!
  • amy_letsgo
    amy_letsgo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I kicked Diet Pepsi! I was totally addicted and love caffiene!! I've been drinking Crystal Light Energy for a little boost in the afternoon.
  • HealthyHoney30
    HealthyHoney30 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was so addicted to Mountain Dew and finally quit cold turkey because it was out of control. I called it "liquid crack". Hang in there.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your battle with soft drinks. You took your first step.

I know how hard it is. For the most part I have stopped but I do find myself having a can.

As long as it's a can. I am a fine with it.
  • brun73
    brun73 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was the same way with the Dew and Dr. Pepper, but I started drinking Diet Dew and Diet Dr. Pepper. I think they taste just as good and in Diet Dew's case better than the regular ones.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Kicking dew was the hardest thing I ever did lol! I use to down 1-2 2 liters a day no joke! no wonder i gain so much weight ;)
  • bryansaums
    bryansaums Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It is really tough to avoid being a junkie to food products designed and manufactured by multinational corporations that spend billions to brainwash you. We all struggle with this. Congrats on your decision and good luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!