advice for a beginner

Options
Can anybody share a bit of advice for a beginner who has always had difficulty losing weight in the past? My history is that I was always at a good weight, if not a bit underweight, for years and years. But I quit smoking and soon was gaining weight. Yep, that old story. I just didn't watch my food intake I guess and filled a void that way. Plus I hear there are true chemical reactions that your body goes through that make you gain weight. Anyway, I would love to hear of any tips for starting out and not getting discouraged. I would like to lose about 30 pounds.

Replies

• smallstepper
    Options
    Can anybody share a bit of advice for a beginner who has always had difficulty losing weight in the past? My history is that I was always at a good weight, if not a bit underweight, for years and years. But I quit smoking and soon was gaining weight. Yep, that old story. I just didn't watch my food intake I guess and filled a void that way. Plus I hear there are true chemical reactions that your body goes through that make you gain weight. Anyway, I would love to hear of any tips for starting out and not getting discouraged. I would like to lose about 30 pounds.
  • marshall153
    marshall153 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    this isnt advice but i've been chubby all my life and have tried for years to lose it, now i've lost 6kgs and its still dropping, this site is great. follow it and you'll see good results too. good luck:flowerforyou:
  • ladylaycee
    ladylaycee Posts: 114
    Options
    My advice is to eat healthy and allow yourself to cheat sometimes! also if your not losing weight quick enough, don't freak out!!!!!!!! It's best to lose weight slowly!
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk everyday, or some other exercise. Don't make it to strenuous if you aren't used to exercising. Ease yourself into it, and this website will allow you to eat more when you exercise! This is because they have already figured out how many calories you should eat to maintain your weight, then subtracted some so that you lose weight. So if you work out, you can eat more and still lose the pounds! Trust what it tells you.

And log all of your food, even small snacks.

You will be on your way in no time!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    Read read read. Read all the posts in "'Motivation and Support". Then read all the posts in "Exercise and Nutrtion". (and then, of course, read all the rest of them)

Follow the recommendations here on the settings and goals you entered when you signed up. And then just check in with us every day and enter your food and exercise. It's actually easy if you just keep at it. It gets easier day by day, and everything takes practice.
  • gnastro
    gnastro Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    hi Everyone,
    Here is some facts that may help many of you. When I follow these guidelines I eat nutrtionally and lose weight.My trainer wrote this up for me.

Breakfast - 20-25 g protein, 5-10 g fat, 50 carbs

snack - 10-15 protein, 3-5 fat, 30 carbs

Lunch - 20-25 protein, 5-10 fat, 50 carbs

snack 10-15 protein, 3-5 fat, 30 carbs

Dinner - 20-25g protein, 5-10 fat, 20 g carbs