Why would I suddenly be hungry all the time?

Options
When I saw my Dr. back in Nov he offered me an appetite suppressant. At the time I wasn't overly hungry. Since then I lost 17 pounds. The past few weeks I suddenly find myself hungry all the time. I was never like this even before the weight loss.

Is there any reason you can think of why this is suddenly happening? I really don't want appetite suppressant. What can I do? I need to lose more weight and really don't want to gain back what I struggled to lose.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• kathyrazz
    kathyrazz Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Have you changed to eating more carbs as opposed to protein? That might trigger hunger....it does for me.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Did you recently start working out? Is there a chance you could be pregnant? What does your protein consumption look like?
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I have no scientific proof to back up what I'm about to say, but I'll tell you my personal story. I am assuming the appetite suppressant you speak of is probably phentermine or something similar. Phentermine is an amphetamine. I spent years abusing prescription amphetamines (adderall) and when I finally got off the stuff, my body was ravenous. For a year, I was always hungry, and despite efforts to diet or exercise, I was gaining upwards of 5 lbs a week. It's like my body was having some crazy reaction because it wasn't running on speed anymore. Obviously that's an extreme case but I'm convinced that taking amphetamines to control appetite is the furthest thing from a long term solution and while it does obviously help people lose weight while taking it, it puts you at a dead end.

I agree that it's weird and I totally know what you mean.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Here are some reasons:

1. Lots of cardio
    2. Not eating enough (check your basal metabolic rate with an online calculator). You should not eat below that # in calories
    3. Not enough protein
    4. All of the above
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Have you changed to eating more carbs as opposed to protein? That might trigger hunger....it does for me.

I was going to say the same thing. This gets me every time. If I eat excess carbs, I go crazy-hungry over the next few days.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you limiting yourself to a day?
  • JB5349
    JB5349 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I did not look at your diet log but I have the same problem when I don't eat enough protein. I actually try now to eat more protein it keeps you fuller longer... if you are burning more calories then your body is going to required more fuel
  • tlafrance
    tlafrance Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • nucreeman
    nucreeman Posts: 40
    Options
    Did you recently start working out? Is there a chance you could be pregnant? What does your protein consumption look like?

It could possibly come from working out. Working out makes me ravenous, and I've heard the same from others.
  • frostie64
    frostie64 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that... the problem with appetite suppressants, is that they lead to the yo-yo effect, and the rebound is often higher than you started. Better to stick with healthy diet and exercise, so hopefully you won't bounce too high! Hope this helps :smile:
  • etodd41
    etodd41 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have been trying to sneak in a lean protein as an extra to breakfast or morning snack - meaning a hard boiled egg or a light mozzarella string cheese - in addition to my morning ritual of oatmeal. My weight loss doctor (that I see every 4 weeks) suggested it because I am also struggling with being hungry later in the day and didn't have those urges prior to recently. I actually did go on phentermine (appetite suppressant) in February as part of my weight loss program (that includes doing journaling on this website) and she has been coaching me on how to naturally keep my calories low and my energy levels up, as I will be going off of it soon - as soon as my BMI goes under 30 I think - I am currently at a BMI of 33. She also stresses at least 5 servings of green veggies and fruits per day. Snacking on nuts and dairy. GOOD LUCK! there is nothing like having a great day go awry with the binging urge late in the day...this is her solution and I have found it helpful - just thought I would share.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy-test-results.gif

well its possible!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Eat more fiber...and protein. It will keep you full longer.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I know this happens to me if my cardio is up I feel ravenous but I found out after conversations with my son I was not upping my water while I increased my jogging and I was really thirsty I drink more now especially as soon as I get back from workout and no more hunger pangs
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I agree the suppressant isn't good. are you eating good food, not fast food? You s\hould count your calories, but try to get into a walking or slow running routine. that way if you do eat, you are getting your metabolism up which will help you lose weight. Keep of of the sugar!

Basil
  • pkiss25
    pkiss25 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about our friend hormone 'leptin'.

Leptin is your body's way of telling you that your body wants food! leptin is usually LOWERED after prolonged periods of dieting (due to your body may thinking it is starving). Your body usually maintains steady levels of this hormone, as the body likes to maintain a ballance of everything, including weight, so when you go either too far below or above the "norm" your body has ways of trying to regulate this (leptin).

As Leptin is responsibile for either triggering or surpressing hunger, The less leptin you have (from dieting too long) the more hungry you feel, and visa verca.

"The absence of leptin (or its receptor) leads to uncontrolled food intake and resulting obesity."

Solution: Eat!! Eat a big meal, listen to your body and make it think you're NOT starving. THEN get back on your diet :-)
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I have NOT taken any appetite suppressants. He talked about it and I said NO that was in NOV. I have been working out since then so not more intense. My protein is set to 45 a day and I usually go over. My calories is set to 1200 and I eat back my workout ones sometimes I am 10 to 40 under not a huge amount. Carbs except for today I have been under and today it came from Dreamfileds pasta.
  • MzMandi1025
    MzMandi1025 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I actually eat a lot of protien & recently, I've started to get really hungry. Like, I just ate dinner & it was a pretty good dinner, but I'm hungry again & I'm fighting the urge to just munch. My husband, who has an extremely fast metabolism, says welcome to his life. So it could be a possiblilty that your metabolism has increased.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy-test-results.gif

well its possible!

HA NO it's not for many reasons..but NO WAY...and funny with my kids I was sick as a dog..only gained 15 pounds with my daughter lost a lot at birth the rest fast after...lol..
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Well, you don't have your food log open, so I can't comment on what your eating, but others have given you good advice- more water, protein, etc... Also, 1200 calories is really not much. I was on 1200 for a few months, but after I lost 10 lbs I upped my daily calories to 1300 and upped them again after I had lost another 10. I do also go through periods where I am super hungry and I find if I just plan to have one big meal ( it is a time we might plan to go out for something yummy) then get right back to my normal exercise and eating , and that one big meal helps satisfy me for a long time. Note: sometimes these big meals are in my calorie count for the day, and sometimes I just allow myself to go over.