Goal weight without strength training?

Options
KF1216
KF1216 Posts: 175 Member
Who has reached their goal weight without strength training, and what does your body look like?

I've lost 30+lbs doing mostly cardio - running a lot and some videos that encompass body weight exercises (30 day shred, some insanity, biggest loser bootcamp). I don't have a gym membership and have been kind of proud of the fact that I've got this far without one. I'm wondering though, when I get closer to my goal weight (17 more pounds) will I need to start lifting to make my body look fit? I don't need a six pack but I when I get where I'm going I want to look REALLY fit, kwim? Thanks!!

Feel free to post pics:)

Replies

• impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Check out bodyrock.tv. Zuzana (the woman who does the videos) got her body through clean eating and bodyweight exercises. No free weights necessary.
  • KF1216
    Options
    Check out bodyrock.tv. Zuzana (the woman who does the videos) got her body through clean eating and bodyweight exercises. No free weights necessary.

WHA??!! IS that her in all of the pics? She is totally ripped!!!

I wonder, if you're working out a lot and get your body fat percentage down, whatever muscle you have will look defined, right?
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My main exercises are body weight exercises and cardio.... thats about it. I've used light dumbbells a handful of times and heavy weights maybe twice this whole time... that's it. A recent pic of me is in my profile pic... and its bigger in my blog pic :http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Blessedmommy_2x *** I don't have a gym membership either, never have.
  • impyimpyaj
    Options

I wonder, if you're working out a lot and get your body fat percentage down, whatever muscle you have will look defined, right?

Yes, exactly. Keep the muscle and burn the fat, and you'll get that lean look you're going for.
  • KF1216
    Options

Yes, exactly. Keep the muscle and burn the fat, and you'll get that lean look you're going for.

she's got to be at a LOW fat percentage though, hu?
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    YESSS I love Zuzana!! Her workouts are awesome!

• impyimpyaj
    Options

she's got to be at a LOW fat percentage though, hu?

Yes. But you can choose the results you want. She's pretty hardcore. If you don't want your body fat percentage to get that low, it doesn't have to. But my point is that if you're looking to get lean without joining a gym, that site is a great resource. The workouts kick your butt!
  • KF1216
    Options
    thanks I will definitely try them!

It's funny, when I started out at 211 I was thinking, I just want to be 175 and I'll be happy. Now I'm 177 (maybe 176, tomorrow is weigh in day!) and I still feel like I have a LONG way to go. I'm not longer happy with just not being obese, I guess you could say I'm in it to win it now, if I'm going to go through all this trouble I want to look smokin' when I'm done ;-)
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    My main exercises are body weight exercises and cardio.... thats about it. I've used light dumbbells a handful of times and heavy weights maybe twice this whole time... that's it. A recent pic of me is in my profile pic... and its bigger in my blog pic :http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Blessedmommy_2x *** I don't have a gym membership either, never have.

You look fabulous.
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    I don't lift weights, I do hot power yoga 3x per week and walk/jog 2x per week.

I enjoy chips, pizza and sweet treats and have 20.5% BF per BodPod. I average 1800 "net" calories per week.

This isn't a popular opinion but it can be done without lifting weights, I only use my body weight with yoga.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I've lost 86 lbs over the last year with doing absolutely NO cardio!!!!!! I have worked out on my elliptical and that's all. My stomach isnt toned but is mostly flat and I dont have any flab so i'd say I'm lucky in that way :-) I have pics on my profile if you care to look. I weigh 150 now :)
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Let me clarify that I would like to tone up now but haven't and won't till my baby is born :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    But the kind of bodyweight exercises being discussed ARE strength training! None of you are suggesting you can get the fit look the OP is asking about with JUST cardio, right? All in agreement?
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I've lost 86 lbs over the last year with doing absolutely NO cardio!!!!!! I have worked out on my elliptical and that's all. My stomach isnt toned but is mostly flat and I dont have any flab so i'd say I'm lucky in that way :-) I have pics on my profile if you care to look. I weigh 150 now :)

Your profile's only viewable by friends.
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    But the kind of bodyweight exercises being discussed ARE strength training! None of you are suggesting you can get the fit look the OP is asking about with JUST cardio, right? All in agreement?

I can't speak for anyone else, but yes, that was my point. She asked if she had to lift weights. I said no, she could get those results with bodyweight training.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options

I can't speak for anyone else, but yes, that was my point. She asked if she had to lift weights. I said no, she could get those results with bodyweight training.

^^This

I do not "pump iron" which a lot of people feel is the only way to get lean. I am saying that there are other ways to achieve a lean body.
  • Amanda_Grace25
    Options
    I am on day 10 of insanity :) already seeing results
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!