Women at the Gym

Options
YaBoiMUGS
YaBoiMUGS Posts: 237
So in one of my posts, I realized there was a big controversy over the females who go to the gym "caked up" in makeup, wearing "provocative" clothing, and looking to "pick up guys" instead of working out. Some negativity towards that.

My personal opinion, I don't care. They're not effecting my workout. I have on blinders in the middle of my pumps, and I time my rests from 60-90 seconds, depending on my jumbo sets, so I only realize they're around during my breaks. Then the blinders go back on when my time is up. If you want to waste your gym membership on trying to go guy hunting, more power to you, just don't talk to me when I'm working out, cause I'll just make a flirtatious comment then blow you off. I'll look for you after my workout, but you're not sidetracking me.

That's my take on it. What's yours? Is it inappropriate for women to behave like this at the gym? Does it bother you? And it's not just women, a lot of guys are guilty for this sort of behavior too, trying to pick up girls at the gym.

Replies

• catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    So I've never been to a gym before yesterday, I barely signed up and did a tour. I noticed two girls in the weights section all dolled up, full makeup, real sexy workout clothes. I only noticed them cuz I thought their workout tops were cute. Doesn't bug me at all. I like being surrounded by beautiful people, it's inspiring.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    The majority of women at my gym are there to work out.

However...

Last summer, I saw a girl put on a pushup bra and then a sports bra over it (to give the appearance her boobs were sky high in a sports bra, when every woman knows it flattens the crap out of you) and then her tight tank top. It was a little ridiculous. That makes women look trashy to do that at the gym.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I love seeing hot girls at the gym, it makes me want to lift harder just incase they are looking. :happy:
  • SuperCork
    SuperCork Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    This doesn't really go on much at my gym. There are definitely women who work out cute, but they tend to actually work out and just appreciate the male attention rather than seek it out, so I don't feel too bad about it even though I'm very tame at the gym. There was one girl who was over the top with the girlie act (including screaming like a toddler she attempted to squat with
    5s on the bar), but she was there with her boyfriend and obviously brain dead
    So that was that
  • kristalfrissy
    kristalfrissy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I don't mind them. When I have time to kill on the treadmill/elliptical it can be fun watching the way they work it. They always seem to do their stretching with their booties up in the air when a hottie is close. lol

But I will admit--I usually wear makeup. Not to impress the guys but I am more comfortable that way. I get really red when I work out and the makeup hides some of it.
  • future_runner
    future_runner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me, but it does puzzle me. I like the cute outfits actually and they are one of my NSG. As for the make-up and the hair, thats just something I dont really get. Now I can see if you've come from work and your hair was fixed up already or just happened to go into a pony tail cute, that is understandable. I also just think you would want to wash your make-up off before you sweat because its not good for your pores. On the other hand, a lot of times I only wear eyeliner and mascara to class and I don't wash that off before the gym, so I may look made up.

But I know a girl that showers, blow dries, and teases her hair then puts on full make-up before the gym. No animosity, just do not get it. If you still look that put together after your work out, aren't you doing it wrong?
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I see them, but I don't pay attention to them....I don't mind it, I just don't have the energy to look at them or form an opinion (or anybody else, really). I'm too busy focussing on what I'm doing and sweating buckets! :)

When I rest between sets though, I do sometimes smile (using the inside laugh not to offend) at some behaviors I see people have at the gym, but not on looks/wardrobe/makeup.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    The majority of women at my gym are there to work out.

However...

Last summer, I saw a girl put on a pushup bra and then a sports bra over it (to give the appearance her boobs were sky high in a sports bra, when every woman knows it flattens the crap out of you) and then her tight tank top. It was a little ridiculous. That makes women look trashy to do that at the gym.

I always double bra- because I have big boobs and that's how I'm comfortable and it keeps my boobs firmly in place while running. Been doing it since playing high school sports. Sports bras have come a long way since then, but still it's how I'm comfortable. How do you know what that woman's intentions were?
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    It bothers me when women dress in a sexually provocative manner in general. Looking nice is one thing, but I don't understand the need to dress sexually.
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I don't see what the big deal is about this. I think people should wear what they want to the gym. I hit the gym after work, so I always have on make up. Also, many of the women that dress kind of skimpy and wear full make up can be found in the free weight area dong dead lifts and pull-ups. I say to each her own, and so long as they aren't in my way, who cares?
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I wear make up to the gym so i can look extra good in the mirrors. I also have to walk to the gym and I might run into someone i know so I'd rather not look like a slob like some other women advocate. :smile:
  • antijen
    antijen Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    There are other people at the gym?
  • torisaurosrex
    Options
    I think it is funny that you think we like working out in makeup, I personally hate it. However I go the the gym straight from work so I don't have the opportunity to take my makeup off.
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I think it's sad that some people get upset when others put pride in their appearance - like they just can't stand it, or they feel the need to make fun of them.

Lots of younger people (and sometimes older) go to the gym to try to look better (not just for health reasons) and hopefully to meet someone, because they're at the age for hook ups.

I don't begrudge anyone for wanting to look nice, look sexy, look pretty, or to posture, pose, to flirt with or to date people they met at the gym.

But I am comfortable with me.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

Lay off the haterade in the future.
  • swimmer018
    Options
    When I'm at the gym, I'm there to work out. Do I wear clothes that are fitted? Sure, mostly because I'm proud of the progress I've made with my body. If people my notice my boobs or my butt, great for them. Do I put on a full face of makeup? Absolutely not. Sweaty = Sexy. If the guys at the gym don't find that attractive, then they're not men I'd be interested in.
  • fanakar
    fanakar Posts: 23
    Options
    They look weird to me. I just wonder how they can be comfortable with all that makeup on. But I don't resent them and they don't really bother me. As far as the skimpy clothes, well if you want to flash your cootie in teeny tiny shorts with no panties it does not stop me from working out. Just please don't sit on the weight lifting equipment.
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I love being on the elliptical because it lets me people watch at the gym. Fortunately, when I go, it's late at night and the people there are generally serious about working out. There are some girls who wear skimpy stuff for attention seeking purposes, but that's kinda rare since no one seems to care. I know some people may look at me, but I figure it's because I'm super sweaty and a little flushed.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Meh, to each their own. If it makes them happy to have to wash and dry and style their hair multiple times a day, more power to them. For me that sounds like hell.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options

Lay off the haterade in the future.
    Ya, I agree. Maybe she just had big boobs. I have to wear a regular bra under a sports bra if I don't have a good sports bra with me.