New running program for me! 30-20-10 success!

Options
Today was my first day of this new interval running program I read about here: http://news.ku.dk/all_news/2012/2012.5/new_research_shows_runners_can_improve_health_and_performance_with_less_training/

Warm up
30 seconds jog (low effort)
20 seconds run (medium effort)
10 seconds sprint (max effort)
Repeat the above three steps 5 times (for 5 minutes straight of jogging/running/sprinting)
Rest 2 minutes (e.g., brisk walk)
Repeat 5 minute jogging/running/sprinting block and 2 minute rest block 3-4 times

I did 3 blocks today - it was definitely the hardest 20 minute workout I've had in a long time! I'm always looking for quick intense workouts for those days where i work late or have somewhere to be, and this definitely did it! the 2 minutes rest is definitely needed, but not so long that your heart rate lowers too much. hope you enjoy!!

Replies

• DamaliAsabyiKioni
    DamaliAsabyiKioni Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Trying to build up my running.. I am going to try this!
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Looks good....might give it a go after I can run for a bit longer than the 90 seconds I am up to on C25K at the moment.
  • Techgirl2010
    Techgirl2010 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to try this friday after work!
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i think you could reduce the pace and still get the benefits if you can't run for 5 min straight yet. like, the 30 seconds jog could be a 30 second brisk walk, for example. i hope you are enjoying C25K - that is how I am able to run the distance now! i ran it last spring. :)
  • kronos36m
    kronos36m Posts: 26
    Options
    Finishing C25K in a week and a half. Might have to give this a shot when I'm done.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I do an awesome couple of programmes too:

fast walk 1 min
    jog 1 min
    run 1 min
    run faster 1 min
    sprint 1 min
    fast walk 1 min
    repeat at least 4 times

or

sprint 30 sec
    walk 30 sec
    repeat for 20 mins

LOVE IT
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day of this new interval running program I read about here: http://news.ku.dk/all_news/2012/2012.5/new_research_shows_runners_can_improve_health_and_performance_with_less_training/

Warm up
    30 seconds jog (low effort)
    20 seconds run (medium effort)
    10 seconds sprint (max effort)
    Repeat the above three steps 5 times (for 5 minutes straight of jogging/running/sprinting)
    Rest 2 minutes (e.g., brisk walk)
    Repeat 5 minute jogging/running/sprinting block and 2 minute rest block 3-4 times

I did 3 blocks today - it was definitely the hardest 20 minute workout I've had in a long time! I'm always looking for quick intense workouts for those days where i work late or have somewhere to be, and this definitely did it! the 2 minutes rest is definitely needed, but not so long that your heart rate lowers too much. hope you enjoy!!

Wow, I like that! This will sound like a stupid question (because it probably is), but how do you keep track of your time while you're doing that? Do you just keep looking down at your watch/hrm?
  • juliedozier
    juliedozier Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Love doing intervals. I am trying to build up my stamina, my goal is to run a 5K in the fall. Not having huge success with running very long intervals at all, but plugging away at it!
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    for my intervals runs I set up coaching in Runkeeper on my phone and get verbally reminded when it is time to change up.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    keep it up! you'll get there!!

i used a stop watch app on my phone today, but i have this app where i can make sound bites from different songs, so i think i will make a number of 10, 20, and 30 second songs bites and make a playlist. seems kinda lame, but i like that sort of thing.
  • ktwest2107
    ktwest2107 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bumpity Bump bump :)
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    bump
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    keep it up! you'll get there!!

i used a stop watch app on my phone today, but i have this app where i can make sound bites from different songs, so i think i will make a number of 10, 20, and 30 second songs bites and make a playlist. seems kinda lame, but i like that sort of thing.
    I like that idea! I'll have to figure out how to do it. I need some kind of audible notification, so why not music!? ;)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that looks like a fun way to squeeze in a short run - usually I run for 35-45 mins on a workday but sometimes I don't have much time, so this might just fit the bill.
    Must set that up in Runkeeper before I forget!
  • StrawberrySuzyQ
    StrawberrySuzyQ Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting. I may give it a try. I was going to try C25K but I can already do a lot of that without starting from scratch and I didn't want to feel like I was being held back.
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I've got a 5K on my bucket list of things to accomplish. I'll have to try this.
  • juliebmomof3
    juliebmomof3 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    bump
  • irvined2
    irvined2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A good interval work on the treadmill is 2 min warm up and stretch.

400m level 12
    1min rest
    300m level 12
    1min rest
    200 level 16
    30 secs rest
    200m level 16
    30 secs rest
    300m level 12
    1min rest
    400m level 12
    (rest for 3 mins then repeat the process)

This interval program is unrela, the stamina and fitness levels go through the roof.

I normally when start this out do just this once then build up to the advised 2 sets.

Enjoy!