Runners--Do you listen to music while you run?

Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,317 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Do you listen to music while you run? Do you run on a treadmill or outside? Does it affect your run (better or worse)?

I ran last night outside without music, and I think I actually ran better. I even shaved some time off.

Replies

• xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    I can't bear to go to the gym without my shuffle but when I have forgotten it I don't mind exercising without as much as I think I will! I think there may be something there...I still would rather take a bit longer and have my tunes though haha! :laugh:
  • katie517
    katie517 Posts: 159
    I prefer to run outside or on an indoor track rather than a treadmill. And I MUST have music. If I hear myself breathing, for some reason I start to give up. Weird, I know.
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    I hate to run on a treadmill - much prefer outside. As for tunes, it just depends but I have to make sure that the songs are the right tempo as that does affect my speed. The number of years I have spent singing, playing instruments, and being on flag corp, my body does not let me run off-beat so slower songs I run slower, faster songs faster.
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    I will usually listen to music if I'm running on the treadmill at the gym. Mainly because I find it sooooo boring. I don't listen to music if I'm running outside. When I'm running outside, I'm usually trying to maintain a certain pace and I think it's easier for me to do if I focus on my running, not what's on my Ipod. I never listen to music if I'm running a 10k or some other race.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    I run outside and no music. I started out listening to my iPod, but I don't like it. Running gives me the time I need to clear my head and gather myself, so the quiet is welcomed...
  • vctkell
    vctkell Posts: 41
    I think it does affect the way you move. I walk and I love having my IPod with me, but I find myself
    moving with the beat. When the beat slows down, my stride slows when it speeds up my stride
    speeds up. So I put up beat songs at the beginning of the playlist and slower ones at the end that
    way I can slow down and bring my heart rate down without just stopping.
    Hope this helps........:flowerforyou:
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    I hate, hate, hate treadmills... must be my ADD :laugh:

I run outside with my iPod always. :wink:
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Always run with music, a technoo song (and I don't listen to that genre) can really make me haul butt! i changed my playlist last week to all techno, uptempo stuf,f and I shaved off 7 minutes! (I run home from work everyday)

I'll play games while running too "I'm going to full out sprint for this entire chorus" things like that :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    depends. If I'm running for time (I'll run for time every couple of weeks, just to see if I've improved) then no, I don't use music. But for my regular runs, yes, I do.
  • Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Always!

If on the treadmill, I plug my ear thingies into the machine - it has a TV on it so I can use a show, usually The Last 10lbs :smile: to distract myself.

If I'm running outside, I for some reason just can't do it without music. May be the sound of my breathing, I think it's also the songs that motivate me. In spinning class when a particular song comes on that I really like I find I can go harder/longer.

Music is such a fabulous thing.
  • igmom
    igmom Posts: 90
    I prefer to run alone and outside. I don't listen to music because I feel the need to be completely aware of my surroundings. I used to run with music, but I got attacked because I was completely oblivious to a man running behind me. I ended up getting away unharmed, but 20 years later the fear is still with me.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,317 Member
    I prefer to run alone and outside. I don't listen to music because I feel the need to be completely aware of my surroundings. I used to run with music, but I got attacked because I was completely oblivious to a man running behind me. I ended up getting away unharmed, but 20 years later the fear is still with me.
    Wow! I think I would be the same way. I do worry about that, but I hope since I live in a rural area and run near a golf course that things like that won't happen.

Ripgirl--I like to watch The Last 10 Pounds too!
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Wow... glad you got out OK. I'd be spooked too!

Music is a must when I run, which is outside and at night usually.

I watch movies during my treadmill runs, and it works great. No commercials and it can make for a great 2 run workout. First run you are getting interested in the movie, the second run you can't wait to finish it. It can also make for a great long run too, my longest is 19 miles on a treadmill :drinker: :drinker: .

Raymond
This discussion has been closed.