Fat. Fat. Fat.

Options
How long did it take for you to notice results with your body? I want to lose like 30 pounds.

Replies

• Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    40lb & 10 months later... I'm starting to see a small difference.

This coming from Mr. Low Self-Esteem.
  • maddiey
    maddiey Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Well when I started running and exercising, I didn't notice much until I changed my diet. That was probably then that I noticed anything, and when i started doing p90x I noticed after about 3 weeks a huge difference.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    People told me first. Then i saw the loss in photos before I saw it in the mirror.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    3 months and still not major noticeable difference to me, it's funny, other people notice more then I do. We are more critical of ourselves I think. It depends on what kind of diet you're on, what you're eating, what kind of work outs you're doing and genetics and stuff as well.
    You will see results just keep at it. In the mean time you'll fee A LOT healthier more energized confident happy etc.
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options
    3 months forsure! Maybe even 6
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    It takes longer to see a difference depending on how much you started off weighing. I've lost 56lbs and I see a difference, but not a HUGE one.
  • amzelrulz
    amzelrulz Posts: 27
    Options
    I lost nearly 20kg (45lbs) before anyone started to notice I'd lost weight =/
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    3 months but it really depends on how overweight you are (Body fat %). I went from 21% to 15% in 3 months and now after 6 months I am at 13%. The road to single digits is a tough one!

PS This was with proper nutrition + being active/ sensible workouts
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I think that since we see ourselves in the mirror every day, we don't really notice a major change because it's so gradual. It's like watching grass grow - you know it's happening, but it just isn't visibly fast enough for you to be a proper judge of.

If you really want to see a change, take a picture of yourself now and hold it side by side to a picture you take a month from now - you will see a difference that you just didn't see in the mirror because of how slowly it happened.
  • breskittle
    breskittle Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Depends on your exercise plan and diet. I didn't change my diet a whole lot and it took a few months to see real results but as soon as I changed my diet it took 2 weeks and I was happy as a clam.
  • vasogoma
    vasogoma Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It took me around 4 months to actually see a change and feel better, and that was only with my diet which was super strict and crazy but guided by my endocrinologist. The moment I saw the before and after pics of 6 months was when I said "okay, this is working" and I didn't lose THAT much of weight, 33 lbs.
    This will sound super cliche-ish, but if you obsess too much over the time it will take to see a change then it will be more frustrating and might not even work as it should. Embrace who you are right now, not because you want to stay that way, but because you know you will lose weight yet you are still beautiful.
    Just do it the healthy way and you won't have to be worried of gaining weight super fast after finishing an unhealthy diet. It did take me 6 months to lose only those 33 lbs, but now it is very hard for me to gain back weight because my body is making it slowly and healthy towards my goal :)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    A couple of months for me but really, it depends on the person. IF you are very obese (as I was) it takes a little longer simply because there is so much to lose.. and let's face it, there is not much difference between a size 48 pair of pants and a size 46 pair of pants... HOWEVER, as I lose more, each 10 pound drop makes a bigger difference in total body percentage...

A 10 pound drop from 350 to 340 is 1/35 of my body size.... Not a really big difference.

A 10 pound drop from 200 to 190 is about a 1/20 body size shift... much more noticeable.

If you are within 30 lbs of your goal, my guess is that after about 10 lbs, people should start noticing.
  • octoberfalling
    Options
    My husband noticed before I did. i mean, I knew I was losing because I weigh all of the time, but it took him 2 weeks to notice it, it took me about 4 to be able to really see it. I'm 27 pounds down now. I can't wait to see how big a difference the next 30 pounds makes.
  • brklnlrsn
    brklnlrsn Posts: 28
    Options
    I just joined on Sunday and have lost two pounds so far. I'm 5' 5" and weigh 148 pounds.
  • WillPowerYes
    WillPowerYes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I just joined on Sunday and have lost two pounds so far. I'm 5' 5" and weigh 148 pounds.
    We are similar. For me, I see a difference at 130-135ish lbs. That is the weight when I get the "gap" between my thighs. Meanwhile, I've got about 3 sizes of pants to work down through, so even while I'm waiting to hit the 135 "gap", I'll be able to see progress as I go from my fat pants .... to not as fat ..... to regular size.

Do you have old clothes you are trying to fit back into? You can use that as one gauge of how you are doing, besides tracking your weight.

Edit, oh, I just reread you ask "how long". It depends on how many pounds I've got to loose. I usually end up averaging 2 pounds a week, with the early weeks being faster and the later weeks being slower. It averages out to 2 pounds / week over a 2 month period.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should not ask, but do you really need to lose weight for your health? I ask this because in your photo, you do not appear to be overweight... Also, in American society, we have a tendency to mistreat women on this issue... Not to sound condescending but, please do not hurt yourself...

I lost a great deal of weight over the past 10 months... On July 1, 2011, I weighed 393 lbs... Wednesday morning 6-6-12 on my home scale I weighed in at 188.6. I have not weighed myself this morning yet... I lost the weight because I almost die of cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure. I made many radical changes to my life... I do not eat fast food, fried food, and red meat... I avoid soda at all cost as well as other sources of caffeine. I do not eat ice cream anymore... But, I do eat fruits, vegetables, veggie burgers, turkey burgers, fish, seafood, and whole grain foods... On occasion, I eat chicken...

The only bad thing is that I had to undergo ICD implantation surgery. My cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure had done enough damage to my heart to justify have an ICD implanted into my left chest... ICD stands for Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator... It is like a pacemaker, but with more advanced features...

When I exercise, I work out at least 90 minutes to 2.5 hours at a time... I love Zumba very much... I know that sounds strange for a straight guy to say this... I am aware that most straight guys like contact sports. I cannot play contact sports because I have an ICD... I am sorry but, I love dance far better. (Sorry if I sounded like jerk in this paragraph... Where I live, people look at me strangely because I go to Zumba classes...)

I sometimes cannot believe that I have lost so much weight. I need to update my Driver's License photo... But, I have to be careful not to lose too much weight...

I am starting to fantasize about weighing no more than 95 lbs... I am not saying that these fantasies of mine are a good thing... I actually feel quite disturbed about them. Lately, I feel very fat and ugly. I think a lot of that is because I injured my left foot on May 30 during a more advanced Zumba class... I found out Tuesday 6-5-12 that I need to be referred to an orthopedist... I cannot go back to work until I get to the bottom of how bad my injury had been... I am afraid that I will never be able to exercise again and that I will gain all of the weight that I lost back...

I have to flight against my feeling fat...

I just trying to say is if you need to lose weight for you health, then it is safe to do so... But, above all else, please do not hurt yourself...
  • WandaJean1564
    WandaJean1564 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i have only lost 9 lbs...I see no difference but one person said they noticed my middle was getting smaller,
    good luck with your weight loss
  • Jenerferzzz
    Jenerferzzz Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I rhighly recommend taking pictures. If you take pictures today then 30 days from now take them again and compare. I did this and until I did the side by side comparison I didn't notice much of a difference. Seeing yourself every day makes us oblivious to a lot of the changes are bodies make. Let me tell you it really is a good motivator to see the changes. Here is my the thread with my pictures the change I saw was surprising... The pictures were from my start at MFP and then 30 days later. Let me tell you when I took the first photos I wanted to burn the camera and all evidence of how I looked but I hid the camera until it was time for the next pictures and it made it worth it. I can't wait to take the next set and see the differences.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/620445-30-days-from-starting-mfp-before-and-after

Just keep at it and keep finding the things that motivate you. You can do this and you will see a difference. Don't just base your results on a scale. A scale can't differentiat muscle weight from fat weight. Good luck on your journey and you've got this. Feel free to add me if you would like.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    3 months, 12 lbs.

Take pictures of yourself. I didn't see results until I did that. When I look at my week 1 vs now pictures I cannot believe its the same body.
  • brklnlrsn
    brklnlrsn Posts: 28
    Options
    Okay. Thank you guys. I will take pictures tonight then.