Protein Powder vs Egg Whites

Options
Is there any reason to take protein powder rather than just eating extra egg whites? I'm just trying to increase the protein in my diet a little (I'm vegetarian). Protein powder isn't readily accessible and I'm really not keen on shake type things. Could I just eat a bunch of egg whites every day and have the same benefits?

Of course I could order protein powder on the internet but I've got no idea how it would taste and then I might not like it. Eggs are handy, I can just buy them at the supermarket.

Replies

• MeliJean78
    MeliJean78 Posts: 249
    Options
    Sure! Egg whites are a complete or perfect protein.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    YMany people like to have a variety of sources for their protein, and for convenience shakes and bars work well.

If you want to eat egg whites though, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that - it is a good choice. Just consider buying some straight egg whites on a container if you can find them locally, otherwise you will be wasting a lot of yolks!
  • clarasliker
    clarasliker Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, just dropped by to put in what I know. I have been using natural soy vanilla protein meal replacement powder. I get it at Sam's club. There it isn't that costly and really is pretty tasty. It's 20.00 for a 2lb bag and it takes 2 small scoops per shake. you can mix it with any liquid you like. It can be bought online as well but costs more.
    I don't know about the egg whites thing, but I do know you shouldn't eat raw egg whites, there's a risk of salmonella.
    Good Luck!
  • mjmacros
    mjmacros Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    buy some sachets instead of tubs to sample, to see if you like it.

protein powder is convenient, just mix and drink VS eggs, you'll have to cook.

however, after going through a tub of powder, i'm back to egg whites. i love eggs
  • 1LRoy
    1LRoy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Sure, you can do egg whites, but I've found that you can put protein powder into all kinds of nifty tasty treats other than shakes. I made some whole wheat crepes with mixed berries and protein-fortified french vanilla yogurt. Very awesome! Tomorrow I'm trying a pancake recipe that incorporates protein powder and cottage cheese (actually in the pancake batter... we'll see how that is). I found all these great low-cal, low-fat dessert recipes that use protein powder too (cheesecake, pudding, sundae, brownies, etc.) and some really delicious shake recipes (pineapple blackberry, fizzy orange, key lime pie, pina colada, chocolate cherry, etc.).

I don't know what's available in your area or via the internet, but I like Sunflower Markets Quicktein. It's tasty and not overly expensive.

That being said, do what works for you. If you're happy eating egg whites all the time, more power to you!
  • BHRussell
    BHRussell Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I would say so. My dietian recommended an egg white based protein powder so I would say yes.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I use both eggs and protein powder. The eggs seem to actually have less calories though so you may want to just stick with them. I get a nice protein powder from Biochem called Greens and Whey. It has added nutrients other than just the protein and it's delicious. Especially the vanilla. I mix it 8 ounces of chocolate soy milk. Good luck!
  • Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options
    Why just the whites, the yolk is the best bit!
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I live in Japan so if I want import stuff from outside the country the cost gets pretty hefty. Sounds like I'm fine to stick with the egg whites though.

Anonymou5 I love eggs and eat at least one (often more) whole egg every day. If it wasn't for the calories I'd happily eat more (also I hate wasting the yokes but I only know how to buy whole eggs here). But sadly I struggle to stay in my calorie goals so adding in more whole eggs won't work for me.
  • Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options
    1 egg = 80 cals. Not really very much
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Feel free to check out my food diary. I don't have 80 calories to spare on a regular basis. And, as I said, I do eat whole eggs each day. But I can't afford to eat 4 or 5 of them. (afford in the calorie sense).
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    OP: You're fine doing what you're doing.

For the person who recommended buying the carton egg whites, look at the prices. It's actually much cheaper to throw out the yolks.
  • 1LRoy
    1LRoy Posts: 95 Member
    Options

For the person who recommended buying the carton egg whites, look at the prices. It's actually much cheaper to throw out the yolks.

I'm not saying you're wrong because you are absolurely right about the price. I just think some people don't like to FEEL like they are being wasteful.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

I'm not saying you're wrong because you are absolurely right about the price. I just think some people don't like to FEEL like they are being wasteful.

Personal preference, of course, but I'd rather waste yolks than money.
  • essa_slactitud
    Options
    one egg is not much but more than one is... one egg has 4g of protein in the white and 4 in the yolk but also 5 grams of fat on average... and a lot of cholesterol. that's why its better to keep it a one or two max for a day... adding eggwhites to an egg is a great alternative!