Vibram FiveFingers KomodoSport Female

Options
anels449
anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
Just a quick question for all you FiveFinger users.

I've been using mine for about a couple weeks now and I've been really impressed with them overall. I've noticed my balance has been better and my calves are starting to feel stronger too.

My question, though, is have any of you noticed the rubber bottom coming apart from the "shoe" immediately? I wore them in the water (not sure if you're supposed to, so maybe that's why?) and the rubber sole started to peel away from the shoe itself. Just a little bit and thus far it hasn't gotten any worse, but I'm worried if I use them too hard it'll start to rip more. If I would've worn them for months I wouldn't be as worried, but since it's only been a couple weeks it's kind of disappointing. Has anyone else had this problem with their shoes?

Replies

• Symphony2
    Symphony2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Ooooo this last month's Trail Running magazine has an article on the different vibrams and I clearly remember some of them being far less resistant than others so I think this is a weakness in the brand you have but otherwise, unfortunately, completely normal. I'll try and remember to look out that article for you and pass on what they said - or at least tell you which vibrams were the sturdier ones. I only use mine on shorter trails so off the top of my head I can't pass on any 'advice'. Gotta dash - will get back to you
  • anels449
    Options
    Ooooo this last month's Trail Running magazine has an article on the different vibrams and I clearly remember some of them being far less resistant than others so I think this is a weakness in the brand you have but otherwise, unfortunately, completely normal. I'll try and remember to look out that article for you and pass on what they said - or at least tell you which vibrams were the sturdier ones. I only use mine on shorter trails so off the top of my head I can't pass on any 'advice'. Gotta dash - will get back to you

Thanks! Yeah, right now I'm just using them for my gym classes (kickboxing, step, stuff like that) and then wearing them as my normal shoes to get used to them. Those particular shoes are supposed to be used for multiple types of exercise, so I thought it'd be a good option. They're awesome shoes, but I may have to break out the super glue eventually and stay out of the water. :(
  • MissBee1989
    MissBee1989 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    did you get them from an officially registered stockist? You can check this on the fivefinger site, as there are a lot of fakes in circulation, I think it even lists some of the 'official' looking sites that are selling rip offs.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of komodo sports that I have had about a year. I run a good bit in them including rougher trails. They look great. I have heard other complaints about thier durability issues, but I am having good luck.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I skimmed the title a bit too quickly and thought this thread was about something completely different. :laugh:
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Thought this was gonna be about...oops.....nevermind......<wanders off hands in pockets whistling innocently>:blushing:
  • Symphony2
    Symphony2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Right! Said I'd be back .... yes, some comments about durability in the mag I was talking about. Do you really want the fivefingers or is it the barefoot feel you're after? The top 'fivefingers' shoe for barefoot feel is a Fivefingers Bikila (according to magazine testing). Otherwise, the overall 5-star barefoot shoe is the Merrell, which appear to have got 5 stars all over the place!! Next in line came the Inov8 Baregrip.

Just a couple of options next time you're in the shops lol

Hope it helps. Good luck with the superglue - don't glue them to your feet by accident!! :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't glue them, return them!
    Any shoe that starts coming apart after a few weeks isn't a good product, I would be asking for a replacement and if it happens again, I'd want my money back. Goods sold have to be "fit for the purpose" for which they were designed and these don't seem to be.
  • anels449
    Options
    Thanks guys! We still have the receipt so I think we might go back and see what they say about the shoes. It is from a reputable place, and after contacting Five Fingers they said to return the shoes to the store we got them from.

Thanks all! :D