plateaued?

Options
sathor
sathor Posts: 202 Member
I seem to have plateaued at 225~230 over the last month, which is getting rather annoying. Could someone tell me if there is something I am missing in my diary?

Replies

• EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I've had a quick look and there's quite a lot of processed foods, I'd recommend swapping some of those for fruits and veggies and maybe tracking your sodium. I never lose weight when I go over my sodium levels, not the same for everyone but that worked for me. Drinking water and loading up on potassium can help too but I tend to avoid it altogether now .:flowerforyou:

Hope that helps! xx
  • sathor
    Options
    We don't have a kitchen, the contractor moved on to another job without reconnecting the sink. He did come back and got the stove plugged in, but our bathroom sink is too small to wash dishes in. I have yet to find anything that can put a dent in the potassium (bananas sure don't do much there) so....
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I've had a quick look and there's quite a lot of processed foods, I'd recommend swapping some of those for fruits and veggies and maybe tracking your sodium. I never lose weight when I go over my sodium levels, not the same for everyone but that worked for me. Drinking water and loading up on potassium can help too but I tend to avoid it altogether now .:flowerforyou:

Hope that helps! xx

^this^
  • EmilyDuby
    EmilyDuby Posts: 67
    Options
    I don't know how your exercise plan is but personally I just recently broke a plateau that was lasting over a month by stepping up my workout routine.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    One month does not a plateau make. Keep working hard and eating right. Change up your work outs and foods. Sucks about your kitchen. Adapt and overcome.
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend checking out the group here on MFP -- Eat More to Weigh Less. They have articles on plateaus, why are bodies hit them and how to move beyond them. They also provide a lot of great information on BMR, TDEE, etc which explains a lot about how our bodies work.
  • sathor
    Options
    I don't know how your exercise plan is but personally I just recently broke a plateau that was lasting over a month by stepping up my workout routine.

That MIGHT be a problem... the last few days:

Sunday:
    Bicycling, 12-14 mph, 162 min (30 miles)
    Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog 43 min

Monday
    Bicycling 41 minutes (10~12 mph)
    Walking 2.5 mph - 1:09
    some light strength training (just did curls with a 30# dumbbell)

Tuesday:
    Walking 3.0 mph - 37 minutes
    Front Raises, Straight Arm 3 @ 25#
    Lateral Raise, Dumbbell, Side 6 @ 20
    Push Ups (push-ups) 13
    Front Raises, Straight Arm 15 @ 15
    Lateral Raise, Dumbbell, Side 10 @ 10
    Abdominal Crunches 75 @ 10

Wednesday:
    Walking, 3.5 mph, brisk pace 8 min
    Walking, 4.0 mph, very brisk pace 30 min
    Bicycling, 12-14 mph, 37 min
    Walking, 3.0 mph, 10 min
    Walking, 4.5 mph, 26 min
    Standing One-Arm Dumbbell Curl 7 @ 30
    Standing One-Arm Dumbbell Curl 20 @ 20
    Standing One-Arm Dumbbell Curl 15 @ 10

I do actually realize that I torture myself yesterday, but only came out 23# over goal, but my body might be storing more water than normal to accommodate for yesterday, I did a lot more running than I expected, then I went out and did some more.
  • niss63
    niss63 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Not trying to beat you up, but you are eating foods that sabotage your every effort to lose weight. Clean up your diet, educate yourself on healthy food choices, drink plenty of water and you should see a change.

Google is your friend - search for "foods high in potassium" and you will get many hits. FWIW, sweet potatoes are a great source of potassium.

Having a torn up house is no fun, but it is just an obstacle, not something insurmountable. A microwave and some paper plates will allow you to cook most foods.

Your avatar appears to be you on a bike. If you are doing a lot of exercise, you will need to hit your potassium numbers and will need to up your protein - 15% is a pretty low goal for protein in an active male.

HTH
  • sathor
    Options
    I would highly recommend checking out the group here on MFP -- Eat More to Weigh Less. They have articles on plateaus, why are bodies hit them and how to move beyond them. They also provide a lot of great information on BMR, TDEE, etc which explains a lot about how our bodies work.

I have considered changing the goal to 1.5# instead of 2#/wk but I wanted to get a bit lower first. My goal still sits at just over 1650, most of what i had seen of the whole EMWL group were people that had been given goals closer to 1200.
  • HideNGeek
    HideNGeek Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have looked at your diary, and whilst i'm by no means an expert it does look like your carbs/protein/fat ratios could be redone, with the amount you're working out I wouldn't have thought you get enough protein.

Have you edited the suggestions that MFP gives you or do you just use the suggestion as they were? I have changed mine to a ratio of 50/30/20, and it makes for a more effective eating plan (to me anyway).
  • sathor
    Options
    I believe in the cal in < cal out ideas, the ratios don't really speak to me, but I do try to push myself in the protein area.

I am wondering if it would be better if I ate less of my exercise calories back, for example, on Tuesday, I really could have gotten away without the fries at lunch, yesterday I was hungry for everything I ate (I actually stomached the hottest sauce on the boneless wings) and since I am lactose intolerant, the fries were part of my survival there, and I was hungry enough I could have eaten another Chilto, but I refrained. It was probably not the best to have the coke and recess pieces before bed, but I walk/jogged to the store to get them, (Actually, I did that to a different store about a mile away, but it was closed. My ave speed was just over 4.5 at that point, and I pushed myself to keep that average to the store that was closer to home, and got it up to 4.7mph by then. I wanted that peanut butter by that point.)
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I would decrease your cardio and increase your weights. You lifting pretty light weights. Trust me as someone who has done that for a year: I have seen more results in 4 WEEKS of heavy lifting than I had in a year with high rep light dumbells.
  • sathor
    Options
    I would decrease your cardio and increase your weights. You lifting pretty light weights. Trust me as someone who has done that for a year: I have seen more results in 4 WEEKS of heavy lifting than I had in a year with high rep light dumbells.

Right now 30# is the heaviest I can curl, next week I will probably bump up to 35#. I might go back to benching later this week, but since pushups are already harder than I like... The machine I have access to maxes on squats at 240# and those are kinda easy. If it had the squats go lower, it would be a lot harder I am sure.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I believe in the cal in < cal out ideas, the ratios don't really speak to me, but I do try to push myself in the protein area.

I also believe in the thermodynamic model. However, you may still benefit from adjusting your macronutrient intake and it will have an effect on lean mass. Protein intake looks low to me. Additionally, even though diet induced thermogenesis doesn't add up to a whole lot of expenditure, it is still part of the thermodynamic model. In short, upping your protein will increase your calories out -- although not by a whole lot.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is one of the most unhealthy diets I have ever seen on MFP (fast food, lack of fruit and veggies etc).

That being said weight loss is mainly cals in vs. cals out, but you are also probably retaining water with high sodium and low potassium.

How are you calculating calories burned? I am assuming you are over estimating your calories burned from exercise as moderate effort biking should not burn more than 10-12 cals/min. If you are using MFP estimates you are probably over estimating your burn by 10 to 40% for all activity.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I just broke a plateau by eating maintenance for a few weeks the bringing down my calories 15%
  • manderswv
    manderswv Posts: 12
    Options
    I have plateaued too, but only for about 3 weeks. Can someone take a look at my diary too? Thanks!
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different, intermittent fasting (the eat stop eat) method helped me break mine, and most people on here would promote EM2WL to you. The only thing I can really tell you is that after a few months at this you'll know how your body works and what you schedule/exercise routine is like, and you have to fit your diet to you. Read the stickies on a couple different groups, do some research, and try something new out.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Okay, I do not agree with the entire eating clean thing. I should note that I bike, eat Fun Dip, like my mochas, and will NEVER give up my wine.

SO.... assuming you are much like me and like the food you eat (because I totally love the food you're eating...), let's approach this differently.

I calculated my BMR and TDEE. My BMR is 1,420, TDEE is 1,883. I do not eat over my TDEE as a general rule (although I will. Max of once a week. Without that "cheat" I would be a miserable person.)

I do bike. IF I bike, I might eat a few extra hundred calories but that is it. I'm not sure how you are calculating your burn from the bike rides, but I would say try to eat only half of your exercise calories back max.

Try to think of it in overall deficit terms. I aim for a 3,500 calorie deficit a week. That said, I'm only about 12 pounds from goal weight (and weight isn't that serious to me.... I'm judging more on pants size), so I'm okay with not losing a ton of weight.

I think that sometimes looking at your weekly numbers is easier than your daily numbers. I'll go over one day if I was under the day before. But I consider my BMR to my TDEE a floating range of what I can eat.

I know other people can be totally condescending, but honestly, you can eat the food you want to and manage it, and you will not suffer. It's a slower path than cutting calories, eating clean, etc., but that's okay with me. I'm happy with what I do. That's what matters!
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I am all in favor of the calories in vs. calories out approach, but you have taken this to a whole other level. I totally understand not having a kitchen avail to cook but there are alot HEALTHIER choices with fast food. eating Pizza, chili dogs, donuts etc. like you probably would before really isn't sustainable for long term weight loss.

I would 100% recommend once you have your kitchen (life) back to start eating at home again. But when you cannot cook some healthier options are:

Greek yogurt and high fiber cereal for breakfast. maybe add some nuts for a little more protein or a smoothie made with frozen fruit and coconut water (taste like nothing and is high in potassium) and a scoop of protein

Wendy's grilled chicken sandwich and a baked potato for lunch (potassium) maybe even a sweet potato.

Chickfila, well anything that isn't fried and it is all delicious. It's a little high in sodium, but will do in a pinch.

Almost all fast food chains have 1-4 at least healthier options.

Doing that much exercise (2400 calories in one day?!?!) Just to eat like crap will not last long and instead of worrying about not losing you will be dealing with gaining due to burn out.