• Katwilkins
    Katwilkins Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Why?
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve and have no regrets.

Yes,you have got to change your lifestyle or it won't be a success. Yes, you can gain weight back if you don't observe heathy habits. Yes, you can fail at it..but:

It's a TOOL that makes the inevitable changes that you need to make SO much easier. I don't obsess over food. I don't feel hungry and wonder about my next meal all the time. It's a tool, and used as such, is amazing.

There are wonderful bariatric sites out there, with people have have real life experiences with this. If you'd like, I can point you there and you can ask any questions, they are very helpful.

For some people..tracking calories and exercise just isn't enough. Trust me, I do know about this after years of dieting. I wish you the best!
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass surgery and it helped me lose about 80lbs. I slipped up and kept eating garbage. Read my blog (its in my profile) if you are interested.

I've been this weight for years, eat ANYTHING I want, and can still eat large portions.
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have a sleeve. I love it. LOVE IT!!! Whilst it didn't get me anywhere near goal, it got me from 640 down to 480...a position that I CAN do something about my weight as at 640 I was the living dead!

I didn't go for the sleeve originally, I went in for a Duodenal Switch...the big daddy of all WLS. And I am on the waiting list for the second half but I confessed to my GP yesterday that I don't really want it. I wanna do this my way. :)

As for the sleeve being reversible, no, it isn't as they physically removed part of your stomach.

Whilst the RNY is technically reversible, surgeons will not reverse unless medically necessary.

The band...well....haha. I know a lot of people with the band and only one of them was successful. I wouldn't recommend the band to anyone with more than 100lbs to lose.

Surgery is a big decision. Research research research. Google ObesityHelp and talk to people who have had all different surgeries.

Good luck!
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Whatever decision you make it should NOT be NOW! You will need to have some time to talk to people about this and their experiences. When it comes down to it, it will be your decision. I decided against the lap band for the reversible reason. If I did this it would need to stay put! The bypass is reversible in theory but not practically. That's why I chose that way. It is a MAJOR decision & should take some weeks or months for you to decide. I chose to refer to it as my mutilation surgery for some time, after all that it what it is. We mutilate our bodies surgically to correct what we have done mutilating them by eating!
    Having said that I have no regrets but it was a long process to decide........
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    As it happens I'm doing a surgery rotation right now. The doctor responsible for teaching me not only performs bariatric surgery - he's had it himself.

He recommends bypass (the one he had) as the best option for satiety, weight loss and maintenance.

He REALLY does not recommend banding or any kind of restrictive surgeries as you will find ways around this and not be able to maintain.

If bypass is not an option, sleeve is his nr. 2 top bariatric surgery.

What is your BMI?

Be safe :) Don't let others judge you. If you need surgery for a better life, that's just how it is.
  • teesams21
    teesams21 Posts: 20
    Options
    I began the surgery process with my very dear friend. Both of us were just borderline of the required BMI. As part of the requirements you need to lose a certain % of your weight. In my case I only needed to lose 10-12 lbs. before the surgery. And so I began the MFP. After 1 1/2 months I lost the required amount and then some. So I decided why stop here and continued to keep on track with what I was doing by changing my portion sizes, eating healthier, and excercising. I don't eat all veggies and fruits, I get a treat here and there but only if I have earned it with my calories. I eat what my family eats, no crazy special meals, just less of it. By the time I went to my 3 month "check-up" to see where I was with completing all of my tasks I had lost 25 lbs. During that time I thought long and hard and decided I wanted to make these changes on my own. I talked with the nutritionist at the center and she absolutely encouraged me to continue doing it on my own. So now in 4 months I have lost 44 ( with another 40 to go). Everyone is different. I didn't have alot of weight related issues ( just high BP) and I haven't had a lifetime of dieting failures. For me it was just over the years I let myself go and let it add up. So with this being my first actual dieting attempt it was foolish for me to rely on surgery to do something that I felt I could do on my own. Like many others have said, it isn't a magic wand, it is a tool and ultimately you will need to make the changes to make the right food choices and portion sizes and excercise to keep the weight off over the years. There are many people who have done it on their own and many who could not. Good luck with your decision!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Obviously it's a decision you have to make. I personally would try healty eating and exercise before I did any type surgery. Add me as a friend if you'd like some help.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I began the surgery process with my very dear friend. Both of us were just borderline of the required BMI. As part of the requirements you need to lose a certain % of your weight. In my case I only needed to lose 10-12 lbs. before the surgery. And so I began the MFP. After 1 1/2 months I lost the required amount and then some. So I decided why stop here and continued to keep on track with what I was doing by changing my portion sizes, eating healthier, and excercising. I don't eat all veggies and fruits, I get a treat here and there but only if I have earned it with my calories. I eat what my family eats, no crazy special meals, just less of it. By the time I went to my 3 month "check-up" to see where I was with completing all of my tasks I had lost 25 lbs. During that time I thought long and hard and decided I wanted to make these changes on my own. I talked with the nutritionist at the center and she absolutely encouraged me to continue doing it on my own. So now in 4 months I have lost 44 ( with another 40 to go). Everyone is different. I didn't have alot of weight related issues ( just high BP) and I haven't had a lifetime of dieting failures. For me it was just over the years I let myself go and let it add up. So with this being my first actual dieting attempt it was foolish for me to rely on surgery to do something that I felt I could do on my own. Like many others have said, it isn't a magic wand, it is a tool and ultimately you will need to make the changes to make the right food choices and portion sizes and excercise to keep the weight off over the years. There are many people who have done it on their own and many who could not. Good luck with your decision!

This is Awesome!!! Congrats to you.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I think it's great you went to the meeting to find out information that can help you. You say your insurance will cover it...will they also cover a nutritionist and weight management plan that doesn't include surgery? If so, you could start with that, since if you have the surgery, they'll want you to lose weight first anyway.

Either way, you can do this. I think it's great you're taking steps to take care of yourself. Way to go.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Honestly, don't do it. If you REALLY don't want to lose slowly using MFP, ask your doctor to put you on a monitored VLCD (very low calorie diet). Anyone who gets weight loss surgery is put on the same diet basically, and that's where the weight loss actually comes from. The surgery just serves to curb your hunger, which will go away in a relatively short amount of time without surgery once you start eating smaller portions.
    In my opinion, though VLCDs aren't the best thing you can do for your body, they're a better option than an invasive and risky surgery.
    Read these risks: http://www.obesityhelp.com/content/risks.html
    Tell me, after reading those, do you REALLY want all that when you could lose the same weight without it?
  • happpyhappyjoyjoy
    happpyhappyjoyjoy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had my RNY 10 years ago. When I went in to see the doctor I was going in wanting the band but she told me that ther RNY was the gold standard. I'm so happy that I did the RNY. I have heard of people loosing weight with the band but personally I have never known one. I do know two of my friends that have it but are still quit heavy and it seems more complicated to me. Maybe others know of success stories not me. If I may ask- why are you thinking about a reversal? I know I wanted to know that I could turn back becuase it is such a big step but when I got mine (long time ago) there was no reversal for RNY- I still can't figure how that can put the pouch back together? Maybe the sleeve is good- I do have a friend that has that and seems to be loosing nicely. Hang in there and do your research.:smile:
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Although I do not have personal experience with bariatric surgery, I know plenty of people in my work environment that have had it done. An astounding percentage of them have relapsed and gained weight back or not lost nearly as much as they had hoped.

Having said that, I think a lot of it has to do with will power and self control.

I hope you, as many other have suggested, continue to learn more about it and take time to make your decision.

Best wishes for ya.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    It is ultimately your decision and I'm here to offer my opinion. I'm against surgery. You can lose the weight on your own by making small changes in your lifestyle. I am incredibly inspired by the people on this site. I have a friend who lost over 100 lbs just by walking and she started way over 400 lbs. Why take the easy way out when you can accomplish this by yourself?
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    How long have you been counting calories for? I would give it a good amount of time eating healthily and tying to get some exercise (even just walking) and see how you go. It might turn out that with the support of everyone on MFP and your own hard work you get there without any surgery. Good luck with whatever you decide to do :flowerforyou:
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to add...regardless of what you decide, it's easier to make small changes. I started by remaking my breakfast. My breakfast before wasn't bad, but I wanted to add more fruits and know the calories. I started making smoothies, which I love. I eat other things for breakfast, such as a homemade McMuffin. And now it's a habit.

Some of this journey is about learning to enjoy things and to take care of yourself. It's not all about deprivation. You are doing a great thing by exploring your options and reaching out to others here. MFP is a wonderful resource.
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    what to do, my mind is racing to do it or not to do it. the surgeron didnt really talk about the sleeve surgery much as he said there just isnt alot of data for it out there. the lap band sounds like it has alot of ricks. the one he talked alot about is The Roux-en-Y procedure. there are ricks in all but the sleeve sounds good and is not reversable, but the Roux one is. the lap band is also. any thougts on the one? found out my insurance does cover it in full. this is a big decison i have ever made. i need some help a sign something.

What everyone else says...keep getting all the information you need to in order to make your decision. I am not a big fan of surgery but, I know for some people it is needed. My brother looked into having it done because he is about 120 lbs overweight and has physical issues that prevent him from being able to do too much with his weight. If this is a problem for you, i say look completely into it, find a support group that you can join to help with any other issues that may have with food, and be smart about the Lifestyle Change.

GOOD LUCK and I will say a prayer that you can figure it out.
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Definitely your choice. I was once where you are now, I contemplated getting the lap band and my doctor told me that I was still young and should at least make the effort on my own. I was so mad at him but gave mfp a chance. 280 lbs to 150 pounds since last May without surgery. I am only 5 feet tall too. It can be done without surgery, but if you want surgery, please, please research it! I work in a hospital and have friends who have had the band or the gastric bypass and some are thing and very sick and others have only lost at first just to gain it right back.