Any Vegetarians having trouble losing weight?

Options
I don't get it! I have been a vegetarian for 7 years and since then my weight has creeped up. Most of the time, I would even be considered vegan. I am now 30 pounds overweight. I exercise almost every day. I run on the treadmill almost daily or use elliptical, I lift weights sporadically. I eat foods that are pretty healthy but have my moments of weakness. I am so frustrated! Any suggestions?

Replies

• KatyMalkin
    KatyMalkin Posts: 57
    Options
    I am the same :-(
    Been vegetarian since I was 12, for almost 12 years and I have to watch what I est alot more or I don't get my iron or protein.
    I didnt put weight on through my teens but have put on 2 stone slowly through the last couple of years.
    It is a struggle but I try my best!
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian since about 2nd grade - ballpark about 17-18 years.

In my experience as a vegetarian I've had a lot of trouble losing weight and hear its fairly common among us. I think as herbivores (sp?) we have a higher tendancy to fill up on carbs. (I know I personally consider myself a carbivore.) When we eat out most of us order misc. sides (unless you live in an extremely vegetarian friendly area) and don't realize how many calories and junk the restaurants hide inside - its amazing how much butter they manager to slather on some broccoli.

So far what Ive found that helps me personally is unfortunately calorie counting, protein shakes, and splitting up my workouts...
  • GinnieC100
    GinnieC100 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for 30 plus years, and have the same problem. I too, am 30 lbs overweight. I have come to the conclusion, it isn't what you eat but how much. Portion control is the key. I know that in my head, just wish I would live it out.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of veggie food is high in calories, things like cheese and pastas. Being veggie isnt necessarily a path to being thin/fit/healthy.
  • CrazyDaisyMom
    CrazyDaisyMom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I agree with the carbs being a key issue. I have a terrible time controlling how much I eat some days. My portions are terrible too, which I am trying to work on.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Why dont you try mor fibre filled foods like lentils, and brow rice, or sweet potatoes as a replacement for things like pasta.I find around a handful of dry rice is the right portion size when cooked.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    If your having problems loosing weight get your thyroid checked. A lot of vegans and vegetarians have this problem, especially if you eat allot of tofu soy milk and processed grains like bread and cereals (theres a big link with soy). Try other things that contain protein.