One big meal a day.

Options

Replies

• jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    For me, I think if I take one very big meal a day, my digestive system may not work well. Fell bloate. But if I break into 5 meals, that's too much and I feel hungry all the time. I rather stay with 3 meals at Mac 4, as my digestive seems to feel better that way, my gastric too. So, kinda depends on yourself what works.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    What Ron, said we ain't rats, and the principle doesn't apply to us.
    You can have a big meal a day. I often do that.

Nutrition timing debunk is the big eater's heaven.
  • rachelrobinson79
    Options
    HA! People on here getting so passionate and argumentative over the one-meal-a-day question. Too funny.

Anyways, without going into loads of crappy pseudoscientific "research" I can say that keeping a more steady blood sugar lvel throughout the day may make you feel better, although obviously the jury is out on whether this will benefit your weight loss.
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    HA! People on here getting so passionate and argumentative over the one-meal-a-day question. Too funny.

Anyways, without going into loads of crappy pseudoscientific "research" I can say that keeping a more steady blood sugar lvel throughout the day may make you feel better, although obviously the jury is out on whether this will benefit your weight loss.

Meal timing <> blood sugar level. You could eat 3 meals with an explosive GI or one meal with a low one - also for healthy people, blood sugar levels are well regulated (as cholesterol) canceling de facto the relation between weigh loss and glycemic index
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Goodness I couldn't ever do that! I struggle to go 2 hours without eating let alone 24!

Whatever works for you, but I need to snack so it's 7 or 8 small meals a day for me
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do. It just depends on how my day is going. I work nights and sleep is very important to me. If it means short changing my sleeping hours then I will eat most if not all my allowed calories in 1 sitting.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I think experimenting and finding out what works for you is good. I couldn't do it that way without eating fast food or junk food but that's just me. If it helps you get through your plateau, and you're eating good food and getting enough nutrients etc. what's the harm in trying?

If you're eating that way though because you eat a lot of restaurant food/fast food you might want to track what nutrients/sodium/etc. you're getting just to make sure there's nothing else hindering the weight loss. I ate a couple meals out with family this week and ended getting about twice (or three times) the sodium I usually get. Stuff can sneak up on you pretty easily.
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Are you really only going to eat one meal a day for the rest of your life?

Exactly. It probably isn't a problem for short term weight loss, but you'd be better learning eating strategies you can stick with for the rest of your life.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 meal a day, a small lunch at 300-400 calories and 1300-1400 calories a diner, then take coffee in the morning. I also train fasted and it work great for my lifestyle.

I tried the 6 meals a day at first but it pissed me off more than anything so I was happy to find Intermitent fasting because it fit better for me.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Be careful your pancreas and liver is going to under a lot of pressure.
  • MENichols5
    MENichols5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My only concern is that it isn't a sustainable lifestyle for many (maybe it is for you). I could never do it because I would have a hard time eating all my calories at once without feeling bloated and overly full and then not being hungry for another 24 hours.

Also, I can't see your diary but I have a feeling that if you are eating all 1500 calories in one sitting of "foods you like", they probably aren't the most nutritious foods. I could easily eat 1500 calories of junk at once (a few slices of pizza and some cookies and pop) but that isn't healthy or nutritious.

If you are eating all 1500 calories at once with healthy and nutritious foods and its working for you and you like it then I say keep it up! It's all about what works for you and keeps you motivated, healthy, and happy.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    edited. wrong topic haha
  • JoannaKemmerer
    Options
    I agree with some of the others. Eating one meal a day is not heatlhy - it slows your metabolism down and stores fat. Plus you are starving your body throughout the day. I find that eating three meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner with two small snacks in between works best for me. I am eating pretty much all day, without getting hungry. I stay under my 1200 calorie intake and all is good!!! I'm going on six months of this way of life and it is just that now - a way of life!!!! I don't worry about eating too much because when my 1200 calories have been eaten ... I am finished!! If there is for some reason that I need to have more calories - I exercise and try not to eat them all back, but am able to use them if I need them.

For me - it works perfect and I am a happier person in mind, body and soul!!!!
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Eating one meal a day is not heatlhy - it slows your metabolism down and stores fat

Myth.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I would think so.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I would think so.

What you imagine and what is actually happening are two entirely different things. There's no evidence that meal frequency has any effect on the liver and pancreas whatsoever.
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    I don't know why.... but I'm quite convinced the worst pressure we put on comes rather from lack of sleep, overtraining and so on.
    If we were that weak, Darwin and Owen would be intercoursing in their graves
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I've done both, and have lost weight doing both.

My issue tends to be my blood sugar levels, more so than my metabolism. My body is extremely sensitive to going long periods without eating, and I experience the following side effects if I don't eat every few hours : my concentration wanes, I get shaky, I become short tempered, and sometimes I even get lightheaded.

If you don't experience the same side effects and you are losing weight - AND this is an eating model that you enjoy and can sustain - then it seems that it would make sense to keep it up.

One note about nutrition vs. calories. I know it's certainly possible to eat all your CALORIES in a single sitting (hello Italian beef sandwich with french fries!), so the challenge becomes making sure that what you are eating also supplies you with the proper NUTRIENTS to sustain you throughout the day. It could be as simple as adding a small spinach & blueberry salad as a side to the above mentioned beef sandwich & fries, and leaving a bite of the sandwich and 2 or 3 fries on the plate.

Good luck in your weight loss and lifelong maintenance journey!
  • estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, change it. :smile:
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Eating one big meal a day falls into the category of Intermittent Fasting. Theoretically, it's a much more natural way to eat. Caveman probably didn't snack every 2 hours. He ate big when the food was there. Also, theoretically, it's better for you body physiologically b/c diabetes (which is one of the major problems caused by obesity) is caused by insulin resistance. Regular fasting would likely prevent your insulin receptors from becoming resistant, whereas continued eating throughout the day may contribute to insulin resistance.

Notice that all this is theoretical. There have been some smaller studies looking at IF and the results are promising. We don't know whether there are any big differences compared to regular eating in the long run. Basically the jury is still out. The most important thing is definitely to find a diet that works for you. So if IF works, thats great. It's most likely not bad for you. But whether it's optimal is unknown.