Trying Desperately to Quit Smoking & Needing Some Support

Options
2»

Replies

• cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    It took a lot of tries but I finally quit 2.5 years ago!! You just have to change your habits for a short time and take it one craving at a time. I used the patch and when I craved I distracted myself and before I knew it the craving had gone away.... Usually about 5 minutes tops each time and the cravings got fewer and farther in between. Hang in there and just focus!
  • jedikrissy
    jedikrissy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Cancer /thread.

You know gatecityradio, just posting the words Cancer/thread is not Helpful, Motivational or Supportive! Everyone know about Cancer, and smokers are not the only people that get it. My great grandfather smoked 2 packs a day for over 50 years and he did not die from any kind of cancer or smoking related illness. Also I have people I know and family members That have never smoked a day in there life and they have lung cancer, and know they never worked in a smoky restaurant or lived with a smoker. SO If you don't actually have anything to say please don't post anything.
  • Happyhappy352
    Happyhappy352 Posts: 153
    Options
    My husband quit using an e-cigarette. If you're really ready to quit, it is definitely easier to quit cold turkey, but if you're quiting because you know you should and not because you want to, the e-cigarette is great! If you're close to a Walmart, they're really cheap....
    I quit the same way. I had smoked for 20 years and quit about three years ago. You realy have to want to quit in your heart of hearts for anything to work. Good luck :O)
  • sarahdangar
    sarahdangar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I stopped about 17 weeks ago, same time I joined MFP to maintain my weight, rather than gain after quitting. I smoked ofr 14 years and used the Allen Carr book. My husband used it 6 months before me. He was a 40 a day smoker for 26 years and just stopped. I couldn't believe he had done it but it still took me six months to try. I was sceptical that I was going to read a book and suddenly stop smoking 20 cigs a day, and be ok with it. I won't lie and say day 1 and 2 weren't bad...I found the physical withdrawal from going cold turkey hard work but I haven't smoked since. I get the odd craving but know that I will never smoke again...even in the first few days when the cravings were harder, I knew I wouldn't give in. people ask me why or how i think the book works. I have no idea. for some reason it just made sense to me and worked.

No matter how you are doing it, you are doing it. You will have mega hard days - don't beat yourself up over that. I put a post it note on my desk that just said "suck it up"...and you just have to. The book says that the best way to be a non smoker is to not have a cigarette and it is that simple (if not always that easy). Good luck and do what feels right for you x
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    My husband and I quit cold turkey at different times. He quit 3 months before me, out of the blue, just stopped one day and hasn't touched a cigarette since. I quit February 2011 cold turkey as well, and ended up getting horribly sick about a week after I quit with pneumonia. That was a pretty easy way to quit, I couldn't breathe! But I don't recommend it.

Seriously though, I have had 2 cigarettes since I quit. Both times I was with friends who smoked, and we had had a few drinks so my willpower vanished. My actual last cigarette was January 10th of this year. Whoever said that changing your habits helps is right. The mental part of quitting was the hardest thing for me, and changing my routine helped the most. I started chewing gum everytime I wanted to smoke, and still do when I want to now.

Good luck! It's really hard, but you feel so awesome when you can say that you haven't smoked since ____ date. :)
  • Ekoria
    Ekoria Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I am trying to quit CT today. Has any one else had any weird symptoms? Other then wanting to stuff my face with chocolate I have found the expected feeling of being exceedingly grumpy but then I have found the less usual feelings of: .

.Being dizzy
    .Shaking
    .Exhausted
    .Head aches
    .Mild panic

Ugh! Massive well done to every one who has already quit, I hope I can achieve the same soon!
  • jac1967123
    jac1967123 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i quit two years ago after several failed attempts i went to my gp for help and used champix you don't have to go cold turkey accept all the help your offered each and everyone of us is different what works for some wont for others but oh my its so worth it in the end good luck to everyone the main thing is dont give up trying to quit :smile:
  • AmyJoMelikova
    AmyJoMelikova Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 22 years and quit May 15 of last year. The reason I quit was because of my health. It is so hard on your bones and body. I didn't realize that smoking was actually making my deginerative disc disease worse in my back and that after my back surgery it would slow the process of healing. So I had to tell myself...no matter how much I try to cover it I still smell, it is so expensive, is that fair to my family?, my teeth are going to end up like another family member who smokes and drinks coffee, I want to be one of those people who is a "non-smoker" when they ask me on a job or on a medical questionairre. Change your frame of mind to believe that you are a non-smoker. It also helps that I don't drink anymore and that my friends have changed because of a move. Moving is pretty drastic...lol :laugh: but if you need to change to some friends that are more supportive you might have just have to for a little bit for your own health. Good luck!
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    As a nurse, I see patients everyday that smoked for years and years. Some are on oxygen 24 hours a day, some have cancer, traches (whole in throat in order to breath). They come in so out of breath that they have to stop before they get back to the exam room. Many times they have these syptoms many years after stopping smoking, not right away. The damage was done by the time they decided to quit.
    With all that being said- I too have struggled with smoking for the past 15 or so years. I have quit for months, years, etc and seem to always go back. I KNOW what it does and it's not good but the damn drug is so addictive! Wish I had never started but I can't change that. Can only change my decisions from now on, and so can you!
    You need to find what works for you. Cold turkey, patches, pills, gum, e-cigs, losenges, etc. There are so many things out there to help you. Your Doctor can do a referral to an agency that could possibly give you free "quit" supplies and support.
    All I can say is good luck and if you fall off the wagon, like I have many times, just remember how bad it is, how good you feel when you can exercise and actually breath.
  • dreambodin2011
    dreambodin2011 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I gave up when I found out I was pregnant with my first baby (12+ yrs ago) and leading up to that point I had cut right back as my husband was a light social smoker and could go for months without touching them.
    So...for me I had already tried a couple of times, but being pregnant was a no-brainer, there was no way I could smoke while pregnant.
    So that made it easy, and prior to the pregnancy, I had given up from time to time for a year here and there - what worked for me was cold turkey and being strong mentally - reminding myself at the end of the day how many cigarettes I had 'saved' my body from was a good visual...and how much $$$ I saved also. Rewarding yourself with a treat, perhaps a new hairdo, or outfit etc with the $$$ saved can also be a good motivator to keep at it. (or better still put the $$$ away for a trip).
    I had a friends' mum die at 37 from emphasema (sp?) which was nasty and caused by smoking.
    Anybody who claims smoking is good for your health is just, well, a bit naive with 'head in sand syndrome'. Good luck to them.
    You will smell better!
    You will save money.
    your health will improve - and your breath.
    Chew gum - drink water.
    research the benefits of quitting, and think of them daily as you allow your body to withdraw from the nicotine. Visualise this daily.
    Just believe this is the right thing to do.
    Tell yourself you are a non-smoker.
    Be wary of situations where you will be tempted. Steer clear if you are not strong enough for them.
    Set yourself up for success. Good luck - but it really has nothing to do with luck - sheer determination - just like anything good in life. x
  • jedikrissy
    jedikrissy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I have failed my first try when I first posted this thread. But I have a new quit date and I am going to try again. Thanks again for everyone's support and stories I appreciate it so much.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Hey jedikrissy, really wish you luck!

I'm trying to quit (again) myself. Had two good years without cigarettes and relapsed three years ago (stress). Right now I live in a smoking environment, and dealing with the habit and cues is harder :/

I really liked the Carr book. Totally made me reframe smoking, and got my attitude about it in the right place (at least).

Are you going to use NRTs? I've read that combining the patch and gum is a good way to go.

Wishing you well!

(I'm going to pick it up again tonight, actually)
  • blueeyess55
    blueeyess55 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi.. This is my 5th day with out a cig.. I've smoked for 20 plus yrs.. an I'm also afraid of gainnin my weight back.. I've only been on mfp now for about a yr.. in the last 2 1/2 yrs I have dropped 84lbs.. from my heaviest weight.. I'm just takin it 1 day at a time.. .It does help to have someone quit with you .. my boss an I quit ...she's been 6 days .. I started a day later.(I'm always a day late an a dollar short..lol..).anyway the hardest thing for us is that we work in a kitchen at a hospital.. not a good thing when your tryin to lose weight ..an tryin to quit smokin.cause the food is right there all day long..wouldn't take much to gain it back.. but so far so good.. I wish you luck ..U can add me if you want .. I can use all the support I can get also.. Thanks...:bigsmile:
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Read Allen Carr's EasyWay to Quit Smoking.

^^^^^^^Yes! I had already been cig-free for 5 days (with the aid of Chantix) when I decided I'd read this book, even tho I'd made it over the "hump" of the 1st three days (which had always been hard for me). I hadn't even heard of the book before I quit. But then I kept seeing references to it here on MFP. The more I read what people were saying, the more interested I was in reading it.

The book reinforced my desire and resolve to be a non-smoker. The author encourages the reader to continue smoking while reading the book, so while I was reading it, I imagined that I was still smoking.

I'm now at Day 45 of being a non-smoker. I didn't pick up my "continuing packet" of Chantix, as I didn't need it. There is a 3rd continuation of Chantix, and I won't be needing that, either. Chantix is very expensive (even after what my insurance paid) but in the end, it was worth it to me, as it did get me thru the initial "quitting." You know...where you smoke your last cigarette and you don't want another one and you don't buy any more!

What helped me most from reading Allen Carr's book was understanding the "Little Monster" and the need to keep feeding him. Now, if I do have that little fraction of a second where I think of a cig, I smile to myself, take a deep, lung-filling breath, and exhale with another huge smile, and sometimes I even say to the monster "I'm kicking YOUR *kitten* now!"

I wish you so much luck and success with your quitting. You'll never be sorry that you quit!
  • SanjiSun
    SanjiSun Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Allen Carr should have gotten a nobel prize of some sorts =)

I did quit a week ago.

I second the Little Monster comments. I do that too from time to time :D

the book makes it so much easier compared to just using discipline and willpower.
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking (last December) using a really good e-cigarette, not the kind you buy at a store, but the kind that lasts a long time before you have to charge them again. It was SO easy.. and my doctors just love me for doing it. Once I started, I never looked back, never had nicotine withdrawal, nothing. If you want to know which are the best ones to buy, message me.
  • joytron
    joytron Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I was a heavy smoker (almost 2 packs/day) for 10 years. I quit smoking just over 1 year ago with Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking. That book is magic! I read it in a week and then quit, just like that. I was HAPPY to quit. I didn't crave or feel bad. You mentioned you found an e-book, so please read the whole thing -- and good luck! 1 year later, I feel absolutely awesome! :D