C25K tracking

Options
How is everyone tracking the calories burned when using C25K? I'm struggling w/ it.
Also, I'm getting ready to start my 3rd week and OMG it's going to be so hard! I struggled through this week...I just don't know if I can increase my running time to 3 minutes! I have a hard time w/ keeping my breathe. Any suggestions??

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    abotu how fast are you going? Just look up Running and figure out how much of the time you are actually running.
    maybe 5.0 mph?

Ok, 3 minutes. Slow down a little. You are trying to make it for time, and build up that endurance.
    Don't be afraid to repeat a day or a week.

Deep breaths, down to your diaphragm. If you place a musical instrument, its the same deal.

Forget all that breath out your nose or moth garbage. You need O2, I mouth and nose breath when I need it. Cram it down there.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Either figure out your average pace (including the walking) and log it at that pace, or log the walking and running separately (ie 10 minutes at 4 mph and 10 minutes at 5 mph, or whatever). In general, it will actually come out to a similar calorie burn either way.

Just keep at it. You will be surprised with what you can do. Slow down the running if you can't breathe. It is not about speed at all!!! I finished C25K in Feb/March, and now run 4-6 miles 3 days a week!
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I recommend a Heart Rate monitor for accuracy on your burns, and if you struggle with a week, don't be scared to repeat the previous week until you feel like you can do the next level. At least try it though, we are more resilient than we like to give ourselves credit for!! Good luck!! FYI, I said the same thing when it came to the 20 minute consecutive run, and beat it down first shot! You can do it!!
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with repeating weeks if you need to. There has been some good advice so far, particularly the slowing down and perhaps using a HRM to see how hard you are working. If you decide to give it a try, don't beat yourself up if you have to walk for a few seconds during the 3 minute run. If that happens it's ok, just do your best for the rest of the run. Then go back to the previous week for the rest of the week and try again with the 3 min runs the next week. You will get there and you'll be amazed how quickly it happens.

Carolyn x
  • sjlapins
    sjlapins Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just finished W5D3 today which was a 20 minute run without intervals and I did it without stopping! I never thought I would be able to do it, but I did! Just keep going. Like Bigpelly8 said, if you need to repeat go ahead but still give it a try because you might surprise yourself. I know I did. Keep up the good work and feel free to friend me if you need encouragement! Good luck!!!
  • jmgabbard
    jmgabbard Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Omg, you guys have me almost in tears! You're so supportive! I love this community!
    Ok, so I did repeat the 2nd week because my first go-around I only had time in the week to run 2x. And it was challenging so I decided to repeat it. Today (my last run in wk 2) just seemed so hard! I'm only 5'1 so I have midget legs...I'm walking at 3.5 and running at 5.5. Maybe I will try to slow down and see if that helps but then I just feel like I'm regressing because I KNOW I can run at that speed. I will take all of your advice into consideration, slow down and not think negative thoughts. I CAN DO IT! Thank you all so much!!!
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    These weeks on C25k are mainly for building stamina and endurance and getting your muscles ready for running. After you have completed it you can concentrate on increasing speed using interval training. I used to run a lot and used intervals to increase my speed and longer runs to increase endurance. I have been out of the loop for while now so I decided to use C25k to get back to it. I'm on week 4 and, although it sometimes seems tough, I know I will get there in the end because I did it before.

Good luck with your running. You can do this :smile:

Carolyn x
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Seriously-slow down-a lot. No-slower than that. I've been running for 6+ months and I still can't run as fast as you are going for any length of time. Sure-I can go for a few minutes at that pace-but I can go for 2+ hrs if I slow down. You should be able to talk some while you're running-if you can't, you're going too fast. Don't worry about how fast anyone else runs-run a speed that works for you, build endurance (by running for a longer time at a slower speed), and the pace at which you can run comfortably without gasping for breath will increase without you doing anything to try to go faster. So slow down-a lot-and don't worry about repeating weeks (even multiple times for each week). You absolutely can do this!
  • cycleholic
    cycleholic Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Seriously-slow down-a lot. No-slower than that. I've been running for 6+ months and I still can't run as fast as you are going for any length of time. Sure-I can go for a few minutes at that pace-but I can go for 2+ hrs if I slow down. You should be able to talk some while you're running-if you can't, you're going too fast. Don't worry about how fast anyone else runs-run a speed that works for you, build endurance (by running for a longer time at a slower speed), and the pace at which you can run comfortably without gasping for breath will increase without you doing anything to try to go faster. So slow down-a lot-and don't worry about repeating weeks (even multiple times for each week). You absolutely can do this!

Exactly!! One of the biggest mistakes new runners (me included!) make is running too far too fast. Find your pace and your peace:wink:
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I have completed the program and am now doing it again due to plantar's fasciitis (and some of it laziness too). The first time I ran through it, I was averaging a 16 min mile but eventually I improved naturally - my average pace is now 11 min mile.

The tools I use/used:

Heart Rate Monitor (mines lost right now in boxes where we've moved recently)
    Nike Plus GPS app on smartphone (my current and most favorite tool - 1 have 165 miles logged into it as of today - 20,251 calories burned woot)
    MapMyRun app and webpage (www.mapmyrun.com)
    Nike Plus shoe insert with MP3 player (my ipod)
    Briefly used other apps: RunKeeper and Endomondo
    My Car - I would figure out the distance of a mile with my car, then time my run for that mile
    The Track - run once around the track and multiply by 4 OR run 4 laps

I am a numbers kind of person....so all the little gadgets and numbers and what not makes me happy. You really don't need all that. And I wouldn't worry so much as long as you have a general pace.

I agree with the others....C25k is all about endurance....not speed. There are things such as interval training and hill training (check out www.runnersworld.com) that will help with speed AFTER you get the distance in.

Good luck with your run. I love the C25k program!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I go at a kind of shuffle/plodding pace and burn anywhere from 180 calories to 400 calories according to my HRM. The differences seem to depend on whether I add a bit of extra cooling down walk at the end and if I go up any hills.

Definitely worth getting an HRM so you can be sure (I also find it motivating to look at my watch and see what my heartrate is doing!)

I'm on Week 2 and finding it so difficult after a relatively easy first week. There's a group you can join on MFP if you want some encouragement!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k