Pinched Nerve - Help

Options
I'm hoping to get some feedback. I started seeing a personal trainer for the first time in three year and after one session I woke up the next day and couldn't move my neck. This lasted every night for 6 weeks until I went to the doctor and he sent me to a physiotherapist. Within two weeks the pain was gone until it started up again when I carried my son on the way home from school (probably the wrong way). Right now my doctor has me on prescribed pain medication until my chiro appointment but I would like to know:

1. Which is better for a pinched nerve, Chiro or Physio?
2. Are there alternative ways to relieve pain that are more natural. I do take a hot shower and apply a heat pad but with two small kids it's hard to do that all day.

Thanks a bunch.

Catrina

Replies

• jmgabbard
    jmgabbard Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    DEF a chiro!! There is no way to FIX your problem unless your vertebrae are manipulated/aligned correctly to get the pressure off the nerve that is pinched. Plus you will have so many other health benefits from seeing a chiro. Depending on your insurance it can be a little expensive but TOTALLY worth it....you cannot put a price on your health!!! Neck issues can cause so many other problems like epilepsy, headaches, sinus probs, etc.
    Hope this helps!!!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Go see a Chiro, you'll have much better results!
  • kablackburn
    kablackburn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The chiro will help; a good massage might too. Physio will help strengthen the area to hopefully avoid it in the future. Don't do the physio until the pain is gone.
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I agree, see a Chiro. I go to mine pretty regularly for realignment as I have a calcified ligament in my neck that pinches a nerve now and again and causes serious headaches. Of course, he can't "fix" the problem, but he can help me maintain it with proper alignment (and I can help myself by continuing to remember good posture).
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I like both to begin and a good physical therapist will align the vertebrae while teaching your muscles to hold them there like they should be. I look on chiro as a quick stop gap, but for long term back health you need to get your muscles into doing what they are supposed to. I have a pinched nerve in my back, the one that runs down the left leg, did it over 14 years ago. When I do the proper exercises I have no issues with pain or that nerve acting up.
  • kwin91
    kwin91 Posts: 128
    Options
    I'm not sure about the Chiropractor or the physiotherapy but I know that after you put hot on it you need to put cold. Because what my mom told me (shes a nurse) is that all the blood rushes to the spot where you apply heat and stays there until you apply a cold compression...otherwise it might bloat in that area and make it hurt more...
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    Both. Definately both. I chiro can realign you to help relieve the pain BUT this doesn't fix the problem (which sounds like a muscular imbalance that causes vertebra to misalign). In my professional opinion, any chiro that isn't giving a referral to a PT or instructing a patient on strengthening/stretching exercises is simply out to make more money because realignment isn't solving a problem.... just a temporary fix
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Both. Definately both. I chiro can realign you to help relieve the pain BUT this doesn't fix the problem (which sounds like a muscular imbalance that causes vertebra to misalign). In my professional opinion, any chiro that isn't giving a referral to a PT or instructing a patient on strengthening/stretching exercises is simply out to make more money because realignment isn't solving a problem.... just a temporary fix

Amen! Any good chiro needs to teach YOU how to maintain it as best as you can on your own (with strengthening and stretching exercises) and/or what other resources might help you with that. A chiro should know that the less he/she sees you, the better.
  • Rashyda
    Rashyda Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    hmmm. so i read the above suggestions..nothing wrong with any of them but i have had a first hand experience and my God it is really really painful. comes with headaches and just just not fun.
    it happened on my trip to Disney in Dec. after consulting my primary care i went for physical therapy .. i was very lucky to get an amazing therapist .. she would heat wrap my neck and shoulders and release the tension and then made me do exercises which she printed for me to do at home too. she also suggested that i had a lot of weight on my front and my wrong posture is not helping my injury. To cut short i bought a foam roller on her suggestion and i still do exercises after 6 months everyday... any time i put stress on my neck or shoulder it comes back.. Really it comes back and it is so painful.
    my therapist also suggested that absolutely no massage cuz we need to strengthen the muscles for a long term solution.
    if ypu have any questions pls feel free to message me. i will be more than happy to help.. and yes i have 2 young kids too.
  • dawnmarie57
    dawnmarie57 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Don't know about the physio, but I see a chiro regularly for 15 yrs. since a shoulder dislocation from a fall on ice. Been the P/T route 4 times and it works pretty good while I'm going, but ins. especially comp-only will pay for so many visits. My chiro keeps me so it's doable. If I was still going to the orthopedic and P/T route, I'd be in much worse shape I've learned thru experience. I can't live on pain pills or muscle relaxers, like they wanted me to.

Lately since I've been trying to get back into exercising, I've been having the same problem with headaches. I'm 55 and that contributes to my problem. 40+ pounds overweight hasn't helped. Had a breast reduction 5 yrs ago which helped immensely. My problem is right now, when it all tightens up in my shoulder blade and neck, I get the headaches too. Not fun. I care for my 2 yr old grandson daily and today isn't a good day as it's hard to sit with heat packs on my neck and back with him running around. So I will probably see my chiro tomorrow. When she works on me, my headache goes away immediately most of the time. It's hard to do, but I've learned to listen to my body and let the exercise go until it's feeling better. The heat packs seem to help me the most, when I can sit long enough.

I really feel for you. It's so hard when you have little ones to care for and pick up. Hang in there. I pray that you get some relief very soon:)
  • ShrinkingCatrina
    Options
    This is why I love MFP so much, you guys are great, thank you so much. The pain from this is unbelievable which is a lot coming from me (two kids and multiple surgeries). I am glad to hear that Chiro is good for pain relief and that I won't be wasting my money. I agree that you can't put a price price on health. I'll keep my Chiro appointment and once he gives it the okay I'll start up on building strength in that area with my trainer and/or physio therapist.. I am so please with the overwhelming response of Chiro and strength building, makes my decision so much easier. I can't wait to get this corrected and continue on my weight loss journey.

It's funny, in my 20's I would wonder why older people complained so much about body aches and pains, now I completely understand.

Thanks again,

Catrina
  • ShrinkingCatrina
    Options
    Thank you
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have a pinched nerve in my back, the one that runs down the left leg, did it over 14 years ago. When I do the proper exercises I have no issues with pain or that nerve acting up.

I am having the same problem. Was wondering if you could tell me what exercises you do? I cant exercise because of my leg. :sad:
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later. Have been dealing with a pinched nerve for a year now. :frown:
  • dawnmarie57
    dawnmarie57 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    HA Catrina!!! You hit the nail on the head!!! Couldn't figure out why old people complained so much either and NOW I know. Keep your chin up and take it one day at a time. I know it's hard to be patient when all we want to do is get back in shape. It's annoying me that I can't do my usual Zumba video today, so I've got my pedometer on and I will just stand and walk as much as possible. Staying off the couch seems to help my pain. Guess my body is even saying "get your butt MOVING"!! LOL!!! Sending healing hugs your way:):flowerforyou: Dawn
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Excellent topic. I had this same problem a couple months back. Happened on a Friday, and I spent the weekend lying on the floor, dosing myself with Vicodin and asking my wife to sit on the left side of the couch because I couldn't turn to the right to talk to her. Got better, but it took weeks before I could workout hard again without feeling a little pinch. Worst part is that I felt the pinch during the workout, but kept pushing thru. If I stopped right away I bet it wouldn't have been 25% as bad.

Please repost after your chiro visit and let us know if it worked for you.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    The first thing I would recommend is to have xrays and an MRI so that you know exactly what you're dealing with before you start having someone work on your neck.

I know people swear by their chiros so I won't say anything negative about them. I've never been and never will be. I worked in PT and my degree is in sports medicine so I understand the human body pretty well. I developed a "pinched nerve" when DD was very little. Exercise, rowing, carrying her, I started getting numbness in my hand. I went to PT and worked through it and I was good. A few years ago I did something stupid and pulled just about every muscle in my right shoulder/arm and couldn't move. The pain was unreal. Turns out, I have 2 herniated discs and bone spurs in my neck (C6-C8) When the nerve gets pinched by the bone spurs the pain travels down my arm to my hand. I have permanent numbness in my pointer finger and severe muscle atrophy in my right tricep that will probably never improve. A chiro probably would have made me worse had I seen one without the MRI and the proper history of the injury. Since I worked in PT, I went the PT route with gentle manual traction and that helped. I keep up with the PT to keep the pain at bay. It sucks. The neurologist said I could have the bones fused and the pain would go away but I'd lose range of motion. I'm not even 40 yet so I'm opting to deal with the pain and keep the range of motion.

I guess my recommendation is to get an MRI and find out what you're dealing with before you make any rash decisions. I know people who swear by their chiros and others who are in ridiculous pain because of chiros who adjusted them based off their complaints and aggravated / worsened the problem because they didn't know exactly what the issue was. PT isn't for everyone. If you're dedicated to doing the follow up work it can work. If you think just walking through the office door and not doing anything besides that is going to fix you you're in for a sad dose of reality. You only have one neck and once you injure the vertibrae and discs, they're never the same. Good luck. Hopefully your doctor can give you some recommendations.
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options

I am having the same problem. Was wondering if you could tell me what exercises you do? I cant exercise because of my leg. :sad:
    [/quote]

The one I do the most is the butt lift. You have to lay on the floor on your back, feet together legs at an angle and lift your butt off the floor. yup that strengthens your lower back.

There is another one, where you lay on your front and lift your legs off the floor without rolling hip to hip, keeps the hips horizontally level, this one kills me I feel it all the way up to my neck.

The last one is the back stretch, lay on the floor on your front, and keeping your legs on the floor, do an upper body pushup, this will stretch the back out.

for my neck and upper back I sit on the floor straight and flex and release my neck forward and then side to side.

I am someone that carries all their stress in my back by tensing.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Really interesting thread - I thought I was alone!

I've had chronic neck problems for nearly two decades following whiplash and only now am I finally getting anywhere with a proper diagnosis. After the most recent bout I couldn't move off the sofa for a month (lying down was impossible), work or drive. I was on prescription anti-inflammatories and codeine, which barely touched the pain.

I'm seeing a spinal surgeon next week after years of trying chiro, physio, massage, exercises etc. The pain really is excruciating when it goes and really debilitating.

My advice would be to alternate the hot and cold therapy, as someone has mentioned, take anti-inflammatories and keep moving and stretching it. Staying still is the worst thing you can do.

I found chiro great for relieving the pain but have avoided it this time as I really feel I need an MRI and proper diagnosis in case any further damage is being done (a doctor I saw recently thought it was possibly a disc problem - something the chiro picked up on but the physio didn't).

Hope you feel better soon.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying! I originally thought I aggravated my herniated disks because its the same symptom.....but I have no back pain this time...just the shooting pains down my left leg.

I will try your exercises. I have only had this a week and a half and I cant keep popping Advil to be able to walk with no pain.