Any Type 1 Diabetics Out there? Also vegetarian?

Options
My husband was very recently diagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic. It was a coincidence as we are both on here and had started to exercise and eat better of our own accord then BOOM! He get's ill and taken to hospital with Type 1.

There is a lot of myths about Type 1 - it is not preventable or caused by a bad diet etc Basically its an auto-immun disorder where his body killed al the insulin in his pancreas and he is unable to make insulin on his own. He now has a lifetime of injecting himself with insulin.

He does have to count the carbs/sugars he eats now and adjust his insulin accordingly and can never really binge on anything with too many carbs and sugar.

I will be doing this diet with him. What makes it harder is being a vegetarian as eating out becomes even more difficult.

If anyone out there would like to be friends with us then do help/share/motivate!!

Clare & David

Replies

• noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    My husband was very recently diagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic. It was a coincidence as we are both on here and had started to exercise and eat better of our own accord then BOOM! He get's ill and taken to hospital with Type 1.

There is a lot of myths about Type 1 - it is not preventable or caused by a bad diet etc Basically its an auto-immun disorder where his body killed al the insulin in his pancreas and he is unable to make insulin on his own. He now has a lifetime of injecting himself with insulin.

He does have to count the carbs/sugars he eats now and adjust his insulin accordingly and can never really binge on anything with too many carbs and sugar.

I will be doing this diet with him. What makes it harder is being a vegetarian as eating out becomes even more difficult.

If anyone out there would like to be friends with us then do help/share/motivate!!

Clare & David

I am not, but my 19 year old son has been a type I, diagnosed at 14 months of age (yes, a baby), so I have dealt with diabetes for a long time. Feel free to add me and ask questions if you need help with anything. I alway thougth of it as somewhat of a "game" you have to play with the body as far as balancing insulin to carbs, etc. My son is very healthy and has had NO problems whatsoever (well, besides 3 seizures from going too low in his sleep -- long, long ago). I also never denied him anything -- he CAN have a treat IF he balances it into his carbs and with appropriate insulin.

Many people have very notions that a diabetic cannot have a piece of birthday cake,etc., but that is just not the case. Now soda and juice.....that's a whole different story!!

Diabetes can be managed fairly easily by balancing. I"m sure it is all very overwhelming right now for you both but hang in there -- once you learn and experience you will be a pro in no time.
  • clarebigbelly
    clarebigbelly Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks, we are in a bit of shock at the moment, but most people have said that the diagnosis is the hardest part! It really:smile: helps to hear of others who have been through it too.

XX
  • hayden1159
    hayden1159 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this thread is still live but I have had Type 1 for almost 50 yrs and am also a vegetarian. Eating out is so much easier now. Years ago when you mentioned being a vegetarian in a restaurant a sald was immediately shoved onto the table! CGMs are a great help too.