Special occasions with especially bad food

Options
How do you guys handle special occasions where you know the good there is not healthy? Fathers day is coming up and my family wants to go to Texas Roadhouse (love). Now I've done well with my dieting, just a couple pounds from my goaland haven't had any real major splurges.....so what do I do? Part of me wants to eat only what's necessary...stay clear of breads and butters and just be happy with some chicken and veggies. But then theres another part of me that would like nothing more than to dive right into a plate full of ribs and fries and fried pickles and not come up for 45minutes except to alternate to the basket of bread glistening with the glow of melted cinnamon butter........WHAT SHOULD I DO?????? ........I hate holidays lol

Replies

• stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    - Pool your calories. Eat as little as you can throughout the day to have allowance for the big meal.
    - Exercise more that day and the day after and the day after
    - Skip appetizers
    - Skip dessert
    - Skip alcohol

edited to add: go to the restaurant's website and check for nutritional data. CHOOSE WISELY. :laugh:

Good luck
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    It's up to you, of course. Either plan for the splurge and add on some extra exercise time to mitigate it, just go and enjoy yourself and understand that this is a special occasion and isn't an everyday thing, or just reign it in and don't eat what might be construed as "unhealthy". Only you will know if deprivation or indulging is something you can handle mentally.

Just remember, this is a lifestyle change, and as such, you'll be facing these moments for the rest of your life. It may be good practice for the future - that is, unless you plan on avoiding all tasty, fattening foods for the rest of your life :)
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    spike day..or plan your meal before you go...and go for a run before :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    The following is my opinion:

First of all I think that dividing food into "good" and "bad" can be misleading and generally isn't a good idea. Bread and butter are fine to eat provided you're not exceeding TDEE.

But since that's not really the direction of your post, I'll get more to the point:

I'd go enjoy yourself provided that you don't think this is going to derail your efforts the following days/weeks after this day.

I think that people who are morbidly obese (literally) or people with very distinct binge related issues MAY have a very good reason to keep tight-*kitten* clamps on their diet, so to speak. People who are not dangerously obese and who can get back on track after a high calorie day, should relax a bit and enjoy themselves, ESPECIALLY during special occasions.

Mental health is important too.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    First, if you know you're going out to eat, check nutrition info and choose your food before you go.

Second, like stfuriada said, skip appetizers, dessert, alcohol, and also any calorie laden soda/sweet tea/lemonade. Stick to unsweetened tea with splenda or water.

My go to meal at places like that is actually a 6 oz. steak with a baked potato (plain, I use salt and pepper, if they have light sour cream, I ask for it on the side) and steamed veggies. It's a delicious, savory meal that's usually pretty decent, calorie-wise.

The other thing you can do is just ignore the calories. Make an exception and splurge, and then go back to your meal plan the next time you eat, or the next day. One day won't kill you, or even tank your progress.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    People who are not dangerously obese and who can get back on track after a high calorie day, should relax a bit and enjoy themselves, ESPECIALLY during special occasions.

^^^ This. :)
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

First of all I think that dividing food into "good" and "bad" can be misleading and generally isn't a good idea. Bread and butter are fine to eat provided you're not exceeding TDEE.

But since that's not really the direction of your post, I'll get more to the point:

I'd go enjoy yourself provided that you don't think this is going to derail your efforts the following days/weeks after this day.

I think that people who are morbidly obese (literally) or people with very distinct binge related issues MAY have a very good reason to keep tight-*kitten* clamps on their diet, so to speak. People who are not dangerously obese and who can get back on track after a high calorie day, should relax a bit and enjoy themselves, ESPECIALLY during special occasions.

^^This^^

Also, check out this article from Lyle on dealing with holiday parties (esp #8)

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/10-tips-to-deal-with-holiday-weight-gain.html
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE the Roadhouse!!

I ask them not to bring bread to our table. I do have some peanuts. I always order a salad with the dressing on the side and a plan sweet potato. What ever you chose to order request it to be cooked without butter...they use butter to make everything taste extra good.

Will you be able to workout in the morning to burn a few extra calories?? Or take a family walk or hike before going out to eat??

Don't forget to enjoy the day...it is nice to spend time together as a family.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You aren't in prison. Eat what you want.

You are slipping into the realms of neurotic. Why the hell would you choose to live the rest of your life questioning whether you should enjoy yourself at an occasional family dinner? Go there, eat the ribs, the bread, the steak and don't feel the slightest bit guilty.

Besides, you will most likely find that even though your first instinct is to not pull your head up for 45 minutes, that you will get about ten minutes in and be all full. After you have been controlling your food intake for a while you just can't eat like you remember eating.

One other thing, if you go an do a 1000 calorie exercise that day or the day before, you can eat all you want and probably won't even make up your exercise calories.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I think that people who are morbidly obese (literally) or people with very distinct binge related issues MAY have a very good reason to keep tight-*kitten* clamps on their diet, so to speak.
    Better than tight *kitten*-clamps.
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Think you will find it's not as yummy as you may think, depending on how long you have been eating right and if you have created new good habits! I have found that the foods I think I want taste gross if I have them. I'm especially surprised how I don't want sugary crap carbs anymore and the few times I have (parties at work) I felt awful after and did not really enjoy it as much as I thought! Have the ribs or a good steak if you want and the veggies...boiled new potatoes are the best potato choice and even have a nice glass of wine...eat slow and really think about what you are enjoying!!! You can enjoy the foods you like and push aside the ones that are not healthy!! Good luck!!!!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think that people who are morbidly obese (literally) or people with very distinct binge related issues MAY have a very good reason to keep tight-*kitten* clamps on their diet, so to speak.

Well played, Elizabeth.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

Well played, Elizabeth.

I laughed. Thanks to both of you.

OP, eat what you want and do something active that day, play a game of basketball, touch football, or soccer, go for a swim, etc, as a family then go get a big lunch.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Well played, Elizabeth.
    Couldn't help myself. And I completely agree with your post. For most people, it's fine to let go and just indulge once in a while.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options

This x100. You have to enjoy life now and then too!