Fat burning zone, hrm

Options
Hey guys I would like some opinions

When at the gym I wear my polar ft4. It has my fat burning heart rate no higher than 162... But I don't feel like I'm working hard at that rate, for example I'm writing this while working out at 143. That's ridiculous!!

So do I need to stick below 162 for optimum fat burn or do I work as hard as possible?

Info: I'm 210 lbs, 5'4". I do the elliptical for an hour then weight train almost every day

Replies

• PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I believe the FT4 (which I also have) has that automatically set as the upper limit for women. Though I wouldn't swear to it. Reading the manual (online) it says to only adjust the limits if you know your lab settings. So unless you have a full medical workout assessment, I'm not sure if there is a way to know. Though I'm sure other people will be better informed than me :)
  • Spence_
    Spence_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Just work out as hard as you can. The fat burning zone is just to do with percentages... i.e. the harder you work out the less fat you lose PERCENTAGE wise of the calories you're burning, but overall you're still losing more than if you worked out at a lower intensity.

Blah, I'm rubbish at explaining this. Try google?

http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/The-Truth-About-The-Fat-Burning-Zone.htm

Good luck!
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    That actually makes sense. Thanks
  • JD830278
    JD830278 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Ah that does make more sense! Thanks for taking the time to reply :)
  • tinkeydooda
    tinkeydooda Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting the link, I had this question this morning, and this totally explains it perfectly!!
  • Inspired2run
    Inspired2run Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ditto! I had the same question and appreciate the information!
  • ebonijo2
    ebonijo2 Posts: 73
    Options
    I would push it up to at least your cario burn to