bulging disc and exercise...

Options
hey everyone...
i'm looking for people with experience with bulging discs. just got diagnosed yesterday. have some other issues with SI and stability. have been doing pilates exclusively...no, it didn't cause the injuries...they've been here for years. anyhow, just wondering what exercises will make a bulge worse, and which ones might help.
thanks for any ideas...

Cindy

Replies

• sarvissa
    sarvissa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Jogging/running will make it worse... that's a lot of impact going down on your disc. Are you going to be doing physical therapy? That is best, and a therapist can tell you what exercises to do safely. Both my husband and I have had disc issues. Mine ruptured and I ended up having surgery, he's been getting cortisone shots and doing physical therapy.
  • dbent80
    dbent80 Posts: 7
    Options
    Running can cause aggravation but not always. Short distances is ok. swimming can help and i've just read that moderate jumping on a trampaline works too.
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Got to physio and learn the right stability exercises for your particular disc bulge. Then actually do them - lots. It really does help. Pilates is generally helpful with back pain. With exercise I find I can do anything but I need to be careful my muscles dont get too tight esp my hamstrings and hip flexors. So I build things up slowly, make sure I have my core engaged. Not exercising makes things worse for me. I've had a bulging disk since I was 20. The real problem is you have to actually do the damn physio exercises! So boring.
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    PS everyone says swimming is good but in fact the kick out in breaststroke can make things worse. Plus the usual stretching must be done or you'll get tight