Psoriatic Arthritis and Running

Options
Any other runners out there with psoriatic arthritis? What gets you moving when you hurt? I'm very active and my doctor has told me that exercise is one of the best things for arthritis. Specifically, psoriatic arthritis is generally worse in the morning, but if you can get up and move, then it will gradually get better as the day goes on. My arthritis affects my hands, wrists, sholders, hips, knees, and ankles. I know that if I just work out, then it will feel better the next day, but sometimes it's just so hard to get motivated. For example, I was suppose to run on Tuesday, but I didn't because I was hurting. I felt even worse yesterday then, but I forced myself to get out and run. Now today, I feel better. Any one else deal with this? What workouts do you do when you're having a flair? What gets you motivated? I should also say that I've asked my doctor if I'm doing damage by exercising when my arthritis is bad and she said no and encouraged me to workout. Also, I am on medicine for this. I get infusions, but I flair as I get close to needing my next treatment.

Replies

• slb106
    slb106 Posts: 70
    Options
    Ok, I'm bumping my own topic....lame I know, but I really want to know if anyone else is in the same boat...
  • dbent80
    dbent80 Posts: 7
    Options
    A bit late to your party but i've got early signs of PA and a bulging disc in my back area. Doc says running shot distances is ok but i was used to running 4+ miles....don't know when i'll get back to that but could use the encouragement
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you about PA, but I can say when I don't feel like running I hit the elliptical on the lowest settings and do what I can (like today, I have an upper respiratory infection I think)
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't run, but I do exercise. Recently my Psoriatic Arthritis has been getting a bit worse. Not on the shots yet, but I am on meds for it. I find that exercise does make it feel a lot better. Been having my shoulder act up and I am slowly doing some exercises to try to loosen it up and it seems to help.
  • jenn2mann
    jenn2mann Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sib106 -- I don't know if you are still in MFP, but if you are, it would be great if you would be my MFP friend.
    I am 55 and have had psoriatic arthritis since I was 23. Currently, my arthritis is being well-controlled by Enbrel. Well enough, that I was finally able to reduce my prednisone to 0 after 8 years of being on it. I started to lose weight last November, and I've lost nearly 30 pounds since then.

I got a FitBit soon after joining MFP. My main exercise is walking. In March, I began a Couch to 5 K program which I am doing very slowly -- 3 months in, I am just beginning Wk 5.

When I am in a flare which used to be most of the time, I find it hard to get much exercise. My doctor's advice was different than yours. If I hurt more the next day then I did the previous one, then I've done too much.

So, if any of you are still active with MFP, let's start a discussion. If any of you are Fitbit users, let's start a group there.

Jennifer
  • futureRD12
    futureRD12 Posts: 2
    Options
    I've had psoriatic arthritis for about 3 years now. My doctor told me that running is very hard on the knees, so that you shouldn't run and stick to more biking, swimming, and other forms of exercise. Anytime I try to say screw you and run, I always have really bad flare ups in my knees then I can't function for a while.
  • supermirimum
    Options
    Hi ya,

I used to be a keen runner untill I developrd PS. Onset was initially thought to be a running injury. I can't imagine running now - it just wouldn't feel right. I try to walk instead.
  • hrosseau
    Options
    I have PA and I am told as per a few others that cycling, swimming and other non impact exercises are best. I am 57 and 2 years into being diagnosed. I take enbrel and methotrexate. I fell off the wagon and have not been following MFP for a while. I normally excersize 4 days a week in the morning. 30 mins on a stationary bike and then floor stretches and some weight training. I am just starting to think that the PA is more under control. I have the added bonus of osteoarthritis in my right hip and am on my 3rd cortizone injection and looking towards a hip replacement soon.

Swimming became too much recently. I enjoy swimming lengths but my normal 30 to 40 minutes brecame too painful for my hip. I am back on the MFP wagon as I need to get in shape and a good weight so that I will have success with the hip replacement. With the drugs I have recently become addicted to sweets.

Wish me luck
  • BalkanBlonde
    BalkanBlonde Posts: 17 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have PsA. Had it since 2009 but was not diagnosed until 2011. Went into remission with my last two pregnancies, but now I am in a postpartum flare. I am not on any medication and have been controlling my symptoms with diet and supplements. I still have up-and-down days though. I find it very difficult exercise. Swimming is the best but now with three children I don't have time for that. I try to walk regularly with the kids and dogs. Looking to start a yoga program. I think stress is my big trigger. There is no way I can run. I wish I could. My pain is in my ankles and toesand hands