Ab exercises done every day?

Options
I have an exercise dvd that I like to do----but just the ab portion of the dvd. The ab portion is roughly 15 minutes. Question is: Are abs like every muscle group and are not to be done 2 consecutive days in a row? Can I not do it every day? I KNOW I can't spot reduce---I just like the way my abs feel after doing the dvd---somehow they "feel" tighter. So, I probably would do the dvd a few days in a row if I could---I just don't know if abs need days off for healing after being worked.....

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    In 15 minutes you probably aren't hitting them hard enough to need tons of rest.

But, they are a muscle like any other and benefit from rest just the same.
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Ab muscles need to repair just like every other muscle. Give them 48-hours between workouts.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    No don't do it everyday. In fact you don't need to do any as long as you are doing compound lifts that engage the core while working other muscle groups.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    P90X has a 15 minute Ab workout and they insist that you do NOT do it everyday.
  • littlemiss5foot1
    littlemiss5foot1 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Great Question!!! I have been wondering this myself today as well ! :)
  • victoriousnrltm
    Options
    I the beginning, when I was trying to get the silly things to remember how to work, I did 2- 15 min. ab sessions a day in addition to my other workouts. I was just barely breathing heavy & super focused on form. It helped me maintain the posture changes & teach them how to be engaged throughout the day. Like not sticking out my stomach & leaning back to carry the baby!
    Worked for me!
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    P90X has a 15 minute Ab workout and they insist that you do NOT do it everyday.
    No don't do it everyday. In fact you don't need to do any as long as you are doing compound lifts that engage the core while working other muscle groups.
    Ab muscles need to repair just like every other muscle. Give them 48-hours between workouts.
    In 15 minutes you probably aren't hitting them hard enough to need tons of rest.

Seriously...all of these are quality comments!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

Ditto this.

If you're not sore in the slightest and it's low intensity the. Working then daily isn't problematic but you probably aren't going to get the kind of results you want either
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

Hit it in one.
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I appreciate it:flowerforyou: .