strength training on a deficiet.

Options
is there any point to doing it? I know the advantages of strength training, the more muscle you have the more fat you burn ect..

From my research (mostly google and here) you cant gain muscle on a deficiet. you can gain strength but not muscle ( apparently)

so would it be better to do bulk/cut programme rather than heavy strength training on a deficiet?

I just dnt understand the science behind people saying that they are gaining muscle on a deficiet...

help.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You can still gain strength, retain greater muscle, and improve fitness.
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options
    you burn body fat while eaten in a deficit
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Uh oh. Be prepared for this to be a 100 post war between the YES YOU CAN and the NO YOU CANT folks.

Here's my 2 cents. Go for it. Unless you've been lifting for years and you're absolutely maxed out, then you can get stronger while on a deficit. What is extremely hard, if not outright impossible, is to add a significant amount of muscular size. But I'm better getting really really muscular isn't your goal anyway.

For me, strength training while on a deficit helps me retain as much good looking muscle as possible, and it keeps my body weight from fluctuation too much when I overeat as a large portion of calories taken in go towards muscle repair instead of fat retention.

I'll add one more thing. If I am just restricting calories I find it pretty easy to stay strong and keep getting stronger on some lifts. But if I'm doing a lot of cardio like running or cycling, my lifts get much weaker and there's not a thing I can do about it. I've lost as much as 80 pounds off my bench press when I've been on a running program for 3 months or longer.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I was curious about this, too. I have found if I don't work out as HARD, I lose faster, but I am starting to train with a trainer on Monday. I was KILLING the 30 DS and doing a bunch of cardio for a while, and when I backed off to 30 DS, 3 or 4 days a week, and lighter cardio 2 or 3 I lost faster. I have 12 (maybe 17) lbs, to go, and I've hit the point where if they come off slowly, that's ok, but I DO want to keep losing. Right now I'm smaller (not small) but very very squishy (squishier than I was before I lost weight), and that's not OK!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    This is purely my experience, so please don't take it for scientific fact or anything, but I notice so much more positive changes in my body when I'm strength training while trying to lose weight. I am currently eating at a deficit to lose weight, and doing a mix of cardio and strength training on a regular basis. When I don't do strength training, I lose POUNDS pretty quickly, but nothing seems to be firmer. When I do both, the pounds go more slowly but the INCHES melt away---and that's more important to me anyway. Plus I can really see more definition in my arms, legs, stomach, everywhere.

So while I'm not going to gain muscle necessarily, I'll maintain more of my lean body mass as I lose fat, creating a more streamlined and toned physique. I'm pretty happy with my results so far, so I'm definitely going to continue on the strength training while eating at a deficit plan. The way I see it, I'd rather it be a bit slower process but be doing everything at once instead of lose the pounds quickly and then have to work really hard to gain muscle mass, which would require eating at a surplus---something I don't really want to do.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    This is purely my experience, so please don't take it for scientific fact or anything, but I notice so much more positive changes in my body when I'm strength training while trying to lose weight. I am currently eating at a deficit to lose weight, and doing a mix of cardio and strength training on a regular basis. When I don't do strength training, I lose POUNDS pretty quickly, but nothing seems to be firmer. When I do both, the pounds go more slowly but the INCHES melt away---and that's more important to me anyway. Plus I can really see more definition in my arms, legs, stomach, everywhere.

So while I'm not going to gain muscle necessarily, I'll maintain more of my lean body mass as I lose fat, creating a more streamlined and toned physique. I'm pretty happy with my results so far, so I'm definitely going to continue on the strength training while eating at a deficit plan. The way I see it, I'd rather it be a bit slower process but be doing everything at once instead of lose the pounds quickly and then have to work really hard to gain muscle mass, which would require eating at a surplus---something I don't really want to do.

^^^what she said!!^^^^
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Thannk you for posting this! I wondered the same thing. There is so much information that it gets confusing!
  • DarlingThief
    DarlingThief Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    According to http://scoobysworkshop.com, the most you should cut is 10% off your TDEE for fat loss and muscle gain. I have also read in the NROL4W that you shouldn't cut more than 300 off the TDEE for the same result (basically the same amount).
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    is there any point to doing it? I know the advantages of strength training, the more muscle you have the more fat you burn ect..

The biggest benefit is lean mass retention. You're going to lose less muscle while losing weight. A greater portion of your losses will come from fat.

Additionally, people often over-state the amount of contribution lean mass plays on expenditure. Gym rats will typically quote 50kcal/lb when a more accurate figure is 6kcal/lb. If you consider that it would take most people a few years to put on 20lbs of lean mass (with good training and good nutrition), that's 120 calories. Not that big of a deal. Here's a good read on this followed by research:

http://weightology.net/?p=192
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9688626

From my research (mostly google and here) you cant gain muscle on a deficiet. you can gain strength but not muscle ( apparently)

This is a very slippery slope that tends to cause fights and it also tends to get stated in very absolute terms. In my opinion, the concise way to say it is that you're not going to gain much lean mass unless you're either new to training entirely, returning to training after a long layoff, or very obese (and note that if you're very obese you will likely fall into one of the previous categories as well). Deficit size and macronutrient intake are also variables in this. (EDIT: So is duration of deficit among other things).

Quite simply, I believe the majority of people who claim they are gaining lean mass while eating at a deficit are either wrong or overstating the perceived gains. I certainly wouldn't say this for EVERYONE.

The bottom line is that you should lift weights if your goal is to look fit when you've dropped the weight you wish to drop.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    The main purpose of strength training while on a deficit is to preserve the lean body mass that you have already, plus you can get stronger without gaining additional muscle fibres.

When you're at eating at a deficit, your body will burn something to make up that deficit. You want it to be fat, but unused muscle is a liability to your body in a food shortage, so cutting your calories too low and/or not using your muscles while eating at a deficit, can result in *losing* lean body mass, which results in a slower metabolism, and also while your weight goes down, your body fat percentage doesn't go down as much as you'd like.

So by strength training in a deficit you're giving your body a clear message - this muscle is useful, I need it, do not burn it, burn the fat instead. So long as your deficit is not too big, then this should protect your lean body mass.

And as has been said above, beginner gains while eating at a deficit are possible too, but even the most seasoned bodybuilders will stick with their strength training while cutting, because they do not want to lose any of their muscle mass.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I've been gaining muscle and losing fat while on a ketogenic calorie deficit plan.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    You can build strength while on a deficit, and with adequate protein intake you will also retain a good amount of LBM as well.

Yes it's worth it.
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I wish I had saved links to the studies I had read. My understanding is that newbie lifters with some body fat and the obese can gain some muscle while eating a deficit. This is because at these stages, the body will preferentially take energy from fat and use that energy to assemble muscles. The body still needs the correct building blocks to make the muscle, however, so the lifter needs to be eating a ton of protein.

Beyond this, there is a really fierce argument, with both sides making strong cases. It seems that even if you can build muscle on a calorie deficit, it requires supreme dedication to specific eating plans (e.g. specialized calorie cycling).

All of this said, there are many women lifters here on MFP who could tell you specifically what they did to affect body transformation.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    While true additional muscle at rest doesn't really burn a whole lot more than fat, fortunately most of us don't sleep all day.

So go for the additional strength and attempt for extra muscle with small deficit, and enjoy the added benefits of it being used all day with higher metabolism.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/447514-athletes-can-gain-muscle-while-losing-fat-on-deficit-diet
  • Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    This is oh-so-confusing, isn't it?!?! I'm pretty much at goal (though I'd like to lean out a LITTLE more) and have gotten here over the past 9 months doing 2-3 days of weights (45-60 min - quick circuits keeping my HR up) and 2-3 days of heavy cardio (60-75 min) (separate days) and eating on a 1200-1500 calorie diet (I eat when I'm hungry, not when MFP says I can eat - I just make wise choices). I have seen HUGE muscle/strength growth (for a woman, anyway!). Though I'm eating at a deficeit, I make sure I'm getting plenty of protein. I always, always, ALWAYS have a protein shake after my lifting (I use one that's 100 calories for 25g of protein, 0 carbs and tastes YUMMY!)

Body builders do this in cycles - bulk up, lean out, off season - to maximize their results, but that doesn't mean it's the only way it can be done. As long as you're satisfied with a slower progression, any 'ol way will work! :)

Good luck! Have fun with your trainer - it was the BEST investment I ever made! As a side-note, don't be afraid to fire your trainer and move on to another if it's not a good fit. It was my THIRD trainer that I finally "clicked" with. The first was a young girl - flaky as all get out, canceling all the time, not really pushing me, and not very organized. The second was a meathead dude with a military-like attitude. I'll work hard, but don't yell at me! The third (and final) I've been with for about a year and she's AWESOME! Early 40's, been doing this for nearly 20 yrs, and a fitness rolemodel! I hope to look like her when I'm in my early 40's! I'm keeping her as long as I can afford her! :)
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    only way you can gain skeletal muscle on a deficit..

1. if you are new to resistance training and any type of stimulus to the muscles will cause growth
    2. if you take any type of sports technology drugs

the body just wont grow if you arent eating enough food because hormonally you are at a dis-advantage, and the body has to have a reason to use nutrients to build muscle which is seemingly inefficient for the human body unless there is a caloric surplus and you are training with progressive overload.

cutting and bulking is how i go about it for quicker results as opposed to stay around matinance calories and train hard.

strength can be gained while on a deficit because strength is basically determined by how conditioned your central nervous system is on picking heavy stuff up... sure there is muscle hypertrophy and you will gain size when there is strength (you cant be "strong" without having muscle) but strength and muscle size is not directly correlated..

focus on muscle gain for the sake of aesthetics and for a healthier metabolism and overall body. higher rep ranges 6-12 with some sets going to failure along with drop sets or negatives with reduced rest periods. however, if you are playing sports then strength training might be more optimal for you and you still will build muscle.