Core Strengthening Suggestions, pls

Options
With my weight gain over the years, my core has also weakened which has caused back problems along with, of course, many other problems ...

... as I'm losing the weight, my back is getting stronger which I know means my core is strengthening but it's a slow progress seeing as I'm really not doing much exercise directed towards strengthening my core.

Are there any suggestions that can help me out in this way but will also not be so hard on my back that the following day has it twinging and me having to be extra gentle with it in hopes to not put it out ... ?

Replies

• mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Pilates is awesome for the core and strength...
  • Dimplybutt
    Dimplybutt Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'll look into that, thank you. :)
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options
    There's so much you can do. Get one of those gym balls and check out core exercises to do with that.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Start easy, with things like planks/modified planks. Crunches are good for a couple weeks, then become pretty useless.
    Heavy barbell training works the core isometrically (As it was designed to work) and loads it better than anything you can do with leverage/bodyweight, but I wouldn't recommend it for someone that has back problems without clearing it with your doctor.

body weight good mornings work the lower back like whoa when you first start. Also good to check with a doc on those too.
  • zosia141
    zosia141 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I agree with the pilates suggestion.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Focus less on flexion (ie situps/crunches) and more as isometric holds (planks) and anti-rotational (core-rows, Pallof presses).

http://www.ericcressey.com/exercise-of-the-week-pallof-press

http://www.menshealth.com/powertraining/cms/publish/bridging-and-core-stabilization-exercises/Core_Row.php
  • cllovesdw4eva
    Options
    If you have an android there is a core strengthening app I use called Core Trainer Free with videos....exercise are pretty easy on the back (I have a similar issue)

Awesome a swim/water aerobics class would probably help you out a lot. Im looking for one myself.
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yoga is what I do becuase it also incorporates many of my physical therapy exercises for my low back.
  • Dimplybutt
    Options
    I didn't even think of the body ball, thank you BrokenButterfly.

I've just learned about plans so have started with those as I find them, oddly, gentler than the crunches. I'll definitely looking into the heavy barbell training and talk to my doctor about that kind of exercise and what he suggests. Thanks, wellbert! :)
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Floater kicks, banana rolls (lay on the floor on your tummy, arms and legs off the ground and then roll onto your back with just your core touching the ground, keep feet and hands off ground), planks are always good. If you can,... try some push ups.. they are mainly arms and shoulders, but you have to keep your core engaged to have a really good form while doing them.

Hope that helps! :)
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    bump
  • txladybug41
    txladybug41 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love the suggestions here. I have a spare tire mid section that definetely needs toning. Bumping to keep the ideas. Thanks everyone. :)

BUMP!
  • grumpy2day
    grumpy2day Posts: 212
    Options
    Yoga is also a good bet. It will help you strengthen your core and help with flexibility and range of motion and it is very gentle too!
  • Dimplybutt
    Options
    Thank you for the links, RonSwanson! Those are greatly appreciated!

Great idea, clloves! I'll see what I can find for my BB with regards to an app .. and I'm definitely going to look into what our local swimming pools offer with regards to classes!

I've just started with Yoga, Kayleen, through our Kinects actually. LoL I am finding it to be a great work-out but, at this point, it's more a big work-out just for me to keep my balance but I'm hoping to get better at it. The Yoga was actually one of the main reasons I got 'Fitness Evolved 2012' for the Kinects. :)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Heavy barbell training works the core isometrically (As it was designed to work) and loads it better than anything you can do with leverage/bodyweight
    Not sure if serious......

610x.jpg
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Double...
  • Dimplybutt
    Options
    Thanks, coralie! I'd never heard of those banana rolls so will definitely see what I can do about incorporating them into a daily exercise routine. :)
  • Dimplybutt
    Options
    Heavy barbell training works the core isometrically (As it was designed to work) and loads it better than anything you can do with leverage/bodyweight
    Not sure if serious......

610x.jpg

Hahahaaa! I think it'll be a little while before I get to that level of core strength. :laugh:
  • tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Concur with planks - I've really noticed the difference across the board since I started doing these religiously. Maybe start out small with regular plank, and then switch it up with some side planks, etc. - and gradually increase the time that you hold based on what you're able to do initially?
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Find some good core exercises but do them on the stability ball. That will reduce the strain but still strengthen the area. I started doing Rodney Yee's Core Yoga DVD. It is not considered a beginner workout supposedly, but I did it to get back into working out after a year of doing nothing and I was able to do it. Not easily, but without injury. You may want to take a formal class to make sure you get the proper form on poses but yoga is one of the best for your core.

Planks as most have mentioned are good as well and you will notice steady progress if you do them consistently.