Am I pushing myself enough??

Options
Hi, I was just wondering if I am pusing myself enough for weightloss when it comes to my exercising... I have been exercising regularly since the end of April. I do not feel any change in my clothes although I have lost a few lbs. HELP!! I exercise about every morning for 30-45 minutes. However I do not feel I am pushing myself to that limit. I am staying in a "comfortable" zone. Should I really be pushing it to sweat dripping sessions to lose weight?? I want to lose the weight first before I start any kind of strength training. I am going to be 41 and I feel like my body has really changed as far as metabolism and losing weight goes.

I am 5'8.5" and weight 169 lbs - my ultimate goal weight is 145 (dreaming of 135 but it is NOT gonna happen!!)

Any advice out there??
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• tripletmom2004
    tripletmom2004 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should be doing 2 workouts a day???
  • Ketomaniac9
    Ketomaniac9 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your diet are you on a good healthy low cal diet?
  • jessicaj_824
    jessicaj_824 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Up the intensity. It should be fun... but not "comfortable". Spend 30 min doing high intensity is better than 1 hour doing a half *kitten* workout. I know you've got it in you!
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Actually I would go ahead and start weight training now! You would be amazed how much your body will change with just some simple body resistance exercises. Also, when you work out you should push yourself. I dont know what kind of workout you are doing, but it should be hard enough that break a good sweat. Our bodies get used to just one kind of exercise and as soon as we break it up a little it helps get the results.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I think starting strength training now will really benefit you with your metabolism and losing fat. It's a misconception that you need to lose the weight first, but strength training will help you lose the weight. Sweating isn't a sign of whether you are pushing yourself enough. It's just the way your body cool off. But to push yourself, you have to up the intensity of your workout by increasing speed, weights and/or reps. You have to make the exercises harder somehow, otherwise you can't improve.
  • joanie152
    joanie152 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Bump - I have been pondering this topic myself - but when I see my MFP friends activities that are losing lots on MFP, they do not seem to be working out twice a day.

Once upon a time - I did work out twice a day with great results, but I became concerned that my body will get used to so much excercise. I currently work out at least one hour, six days a week. Progress has been slow.
  • moea432
    moea432 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    personally yes....if you think your staying in a "comfort" zone then your probably not working hard enough.........not saying you wont ever feel a difference but if you want to lose it you have to work for it.....i could walk 800 cals off but i wont get as good of results if i run/sprint and walk .this is just from my experience....maybe even try some aerobics or swimming and weight lifting to help tone
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have about the same stats as you (5'7.5 and 188lbs)

If I'm not sweating at the end of my workout, I feel like I didn't try hard enough. Definitely push yourself, that it the only way you will get better and stronger!

I'd also start weight training now.
  • jcamby
    jcamby Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I recommend getting a heart rate monitor. I just got mine yesterday and already it has helped me push harder as I wasn't working out as hard as I thought! I got a Polar F4 from amazon!
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I second the advice to add some strength training now. Your body will thank you for it. It will make it easier to do the high cardio and it will prepare your body for when you want to increase that strength training. I don't know why so many people say "I'm going to wait until I loose weight to add strength training" Why wait until most of the work is done to do the most importnt bit by way of trimming down the flab. Even the size 0s still have flabby bits without strength training. If you want to see the excercise trimming you down, strength is the way to go, If you want to work on the diet and calorie counting cardio is the way, but do both and you will see and feel results a lot better.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Start by measuring what you're doing.

If you're running on the elliptical, what speed/elevation setting do you do?
    If you're lifting weights, how much weight do you use?
    If you're jogging a loop outside, how long does it take?

Every time you work out, strive to increase your workout by one increment, whatever that increment is. Try to push yourself to go faster, to lift heavier, to work harder. Don't make a huge jump though, small improvements.

To me, whatever the starting point, consistent increases in workout intensity (progressive overload) is the key to 'pushing yourself enough' in your workout.
  • tripletmom2004
    Options
    Thanks for your reponses. I think if I really push myself (change speed/elevation slowly) for 30 minutes on the elliptical/treadmill/recumbent bike and then do 20 minutes of strength training that should give me the push I need. I will open my diary and maybe someone sees something I am doing wrong there too.

Thanks
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reponses. I think if I really push myself (change speed/elevation slowly) for 30 minutes on the elliptical/treadmill/recumbent bike and then do 20 minutes of strength training that should give me the push I need. I will open my diary and maybe someone sees something I am doing wrong there too.

Thanks

Just make sure it's small increases so you don't try for too much and burn out or, worse, hurt yourself. Good luck to you.
  • tripletmom2004
    Options
    Bump
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Just stick to one work out but crank up the intensity. Lift heavier weights, run faster, etc.