how many calories burned

Options
lmais88
lmais88 Posts: 16 Member
Anyone have an estimate on average how many calories people burn in high intensity workouts? I guess it is 10 calories per minute but am not sure. I bought a heart rate monitor but the calorie counter was wayyy to high. Any tips for accurate calorie count? Thanks!

Replies

• Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    There is no set formula as "high intensity" will depend on the individual's fitness level, type of workout, stats (age, weight, etc) but also what each of us considers "high intensity".

I have a Garmin 210 Forerunner(HRM) and it's what I use to count calories (HRM strap on chest syncs with my watch and data is downloaded to my computer). The more exercise I do, the fitter I get, the more effort I have to put in for the same caloric burn.

Hate to say it, but a good HRM is your best bet for calories burned...
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    What is "way too high"? When I'm running 11 min mile for 30 - 35 min I burn 400 - 425 (because I might speed up/slow down). I would think a high intensity would be a little over that.
  • AnissaAndrews
    AnissaAndrews Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
    You will have to be able to pause for 20 sec to take your pulse periodically (I do interval training--so that isn't an issue for me) but I am choosing to believe this is fairly accurate.