TONING under all this fat... waste of time??

Options
I keep hearing and seeing amazing results from P90X, Insanity, Ripped in 30, then Jillian Micheals kick your *kitten* thing... Honestly I've never heard a bad thing about it. Sounds fun (especially the variation since I get bored easily). But I'm still about 50 lbs away from my goal weight, kinda flabby, and I was wondering if there is any point in doing these programs. I know the P90X will tone you really well but will it be visually noticeable? Should I wait until I've lost more weight?

PS Can anyone recommend an inexpensive HRM that will count my calories burned?

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing and seeing amazing results from P90X, Insanity, Ripped in 30, then Jillian Micheals kick your *kitten* thing... Honestly I've never heard a bad thing about it. Sounds fun (especially the variation since I get bored easily). But I'm still about 50 lbs away from my goal weight, kinda flabby, and I was wondering if there is any point in doing these programs. I know the P90X will tone you really well but will it be visually noticeable? Should I wait until I've lost more weight?

PS Can anyone recommend an inexpensive HRM that will count my calories burned?

Strength training burns a ton of calories, every bit as many as running does.

And HRM's are terrible at estimating it, they miss low big time. HRM's only measure aerobic calorie burn, the majority of calorie burn from strength training is anaerobic exercise and recovery, neither of which a HRM measures.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The best time to start lifting weights is yesterday, even if you have a lot to lose, as opposed waiting until you are at your goal weight. The main reason is that when you are in a caloric deficit, you will lose muscle and fat. By strength training with heavy weights, and eating enough protein, you will retain most of the lean muscle you already have.

What this means is that if you strength train the whole time you will have a lower BF% at your goal weight then if you didn't, as you would not have lost as much muscle.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    weight loss is toning.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Don't know about the HRM, but I'd check Amazon.

About the muscle. Muscle at rest burns more cals than fat at rest. Google it. So I'd say, yes, start toning now =).

Good luck.

:smile:
  • CCJ13
    CCJ13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have a long way to go before I reach my goal & I definitely am working on toning now. I love 30 day shred. I can see muscles in my arms already. And my legs look a lot better too! The only thing I hate is that I am losing way more inches than lbs. But I know they will come off. My clothes are way bigger & my brand new bras are too big. I am on the smallest hook now & I think I can go down a band size. So I say start toning now. I bet you will be able to notice a difference.
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I don't know what inexpensive is to you - but I have the polar ft4 and love it!

And I did p90x at 30+lbs away from my goal and while I personally didn't see a difference I got compliments from my husband all of the time about how I looked. (which is huge since he doesn't compliment often)

Plus strength training builds muscles and muscle burns fat! It's win-win!
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    you will lose weight so much quicker if you incorporate toning or strength training right away, and you will be losing the flab at the same time!

My favorite saying: good girls tone, bad girls lift. I lift, heavy and I love it!

Jess
  • cOOkieLpX
    cOOkieLpX Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have been doing p90x for close to 6 weeks and I have 70 lbs to loose (personal goal but in actuality its more like 90). The weight is coming off super slow but I have been reassured that im gaining muscle weight and probably losing fat because I have lost tons of inches in only 10 lbs of scale weight :) This is from my experience. Try it out but don't be discouraged when you only see 1 lb lost and 2 weeks of p90x pain.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Strength training...now!!!! I have a Polar HRM and have been very happy with it. You have to get used to the chest strap. I find once I'm working out I don't even notice it. Good luck girlie!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Weight training will reduce your bodyfat and help to preserve lean mass, including muscle mass.

Sound like a bad deal?
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss will appear to slow down when you weight train at the same time, but that's because as you're burning fat you're gaining muscle. Listen to the above posters, they have it right! You will notice inches drop! That muscle will burn more calories and you will be able to eat more and still lose and/or maintain weight. You won't see the muscle at first, but once your body fat drops enough, it will be there!

I highly, highly recommend that you start now!! It will pay off big time!

Good luck!
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    NO! It is not a waste of time! :bigsmile:
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    if ur 50lbs away its ur diet that is going to change how you look not some gimmick workout routine like p90x, insanity, 30 day shred etc...anyone can jump around in their living room LOL. just start walking each day, eventually start running, then join a gym and hire a trainer to show you how to use free weights then use them to build muscle.
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The main reason is that when you are in a caloric deficit, you will lose muscle and fat.

Thanks dude, I had no idea about the losing muscle. I definitely don't want to get MORE flabby!
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    NOT a waste of time!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The best time to start strength training is today.

Although your "new and improved" muscles won't be obvious until your total % of body fat is reduced you will reap benefits almost immediately. You'll feel better, your posture will improve and muscles is more metabolically expensive than fat so your BMR will increase ultimately making it easier to achieve your weight goals.
  • Steph13RN
    Steph13RN Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you asked this! Great advice!!
    AS for monitor - check out the Polar 4ft or 7 ... people here gave great reviews on both. The 4 is around $60 where the 7 is higher.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I think it's strange how we put things off until we lose more weight. I was the same way about rollerskating. And then I realized something...why was I putting off something that could HELP me lose weight?

Toning or not, it is still going to help you in the long run. Any workout that improves your core and strength of your muscles will help your long term goals.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    muscle burns calories all the time.
  • Boron00
    Boron00 Posts: 4
    Options
    So I made the mistake of not adding a significant amount of weight training until recently because of my work schedule, and as a result I have a little more loose skin, and even closer to my goal weight I still look a little bigger because I haven't tightened up the skin and maintained all of my lean muscle. Luckily I do eat a lot of protein and healthy fats, as well as lifting things at my job, so my muscle retention is still okay. Weight lifting will not be very encouraging on the scale, but in the mirror it will certainly benefit you. Tightening up loose skin and retaining muscle are two very important things when going through a lifestyle overhaul, and lifting accomplishes those goals.