eathing only 500 calories

Options
Hi, I have a question I have been eating very healthy a lots fruits and vegetable and lean meat and my average for the past week is only 500 calories I lost 5 lbs in 3 days! I'm running for 30 minutes a day and I do weight lifting! Is it bad to eat so low calories?

Replies

• Ketomaniac9
    Ketomaniac9 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes it's bad your body needs at least 1200
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    :noway:

Is this a troll post?
  • jessica19lynn
    Options
    um...yes. yes you will lose weight incredibly fast, but it comes back even faster. trust me. I was barely eating and lost 30 pounds in 2 months. then it all came back + more out of nowhere.

the lowest amount of calorie intake I think anyone should have is 1200.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    the 5 lbs in 3 days is the waterweight from the lack of carbohydrates... if you do this for a prolonged period of time you will lose weight no doubt... but it will be muscle mass aswell and your actual body fat % will be roughly the same or possibly increased even though your body weight has gone down... making you have a skinny/fat physique.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    yup, it is....and can be very bad. You will probably lose weight doing it.....for a while, but it can be very bad for your body. Here's the link to a group that\s called Eat More To Lose More....there is lots of reading for you on eating low cal http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less :flowerforyou:
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options

Is this a troll post?

Yes....Yes it is
  • WILSONBA
    WILSONBA Posts: 197
    Options
    Yes it can mess up your metabolism and in the end hurt you in the long run. food/calories= energy, you need so many calories a day just to live. look up your BMR and it will estimate how many calories you'd burn in a day if you just sat in a chair all day and did nothing. if you want to lose weight do it the healthy way, eat clean, and work out. it may take you a bit longer but in the end you will look healthy. good luck on your journey!
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Only 500 cals is so not Healthy!!!!
    if you are absolutely sure you are counting it right then 500 is too low!
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Yes, when I first starting I was netting about the same because I wasn't hungry. I would suggest slowly working your way up to at LEAST 1000 calories while still eating healthy foods. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • kiki2289
    kiki2289 Posts: 11
    Options
    I am new to this website.. I am sorry I just was wondering.. I am not trying anything I am just curious because I am all excited because its working for me loosing weight but I have this feeling what I am doing is not very healthy!
  • specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is bad. You're starving yourself and screwing up your metabolism. The weight will come off quickly and come back even faster plus some.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    yup, it is....and can be very bad. You will probably lose weight doing it.....for a while, but it can be very bad for your body. Here's the link to a group that\s called Eat More To Lose More....there is lots of reading for you on eating low cal http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less :flowerforyou:

^^^^ this

i'm maintaining right now at 2150 calories/day. gonna drop to 1900 in a few weeks. my body is so happy and full of energy now that it's getting more fuel and proper nutrition.

please eat more, your body needs the fuel.
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Yes...my sister was on the "Dr. Assisted Diet" with the B12 shot, Adipex, and 500 calorie a day limit. She was walking every day for at least 20 min. She dropped 55 lbs in 4 1/2 months. She is recovering from a mini-stroke right now. She had it a few days ago, at the age of 27!!!! Her Potassium level and Electrolytes were almost non-existentent. I would not advise you doing this, at all.
  • supermoo2
    supermoo2 Posts: 77
    Options
    Far too few calories. At least 1200 is the most healthy but about 1500 for weight loss - it is slower, but better for you and more likely to be able to maintain the new weight.
  • bunsi_fidget
    Options
    Yes, our bodies need atleast 1200 calories. Your body will start trying to keep whatever fat it gets to ensure you don't starve. Even on days where I just juice fruits and veggies I can get my full day of calories and protein, I can get 1300 cals from juicing so even though you are eating healthy, you must not be eating much. Your body needs the fuel, especially if your exercising regularly.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I am new to this website.. I am sorry I just was wondering.. I am not trying anything I am just curious because I am all excited because its working for me loosing weight but I have this feeling what I am doing is not very healthy!

Your body requires calories for everyday functions - heart, lungs, nervous system .... lots of stuff going on. People is a coma get more than 500 calories (via feeding tube).

When you eat 500 calories & exercise (which uses even more calories) .... you are left with very few calories for basic functions. This is why MFP uses "net" calories. This is the DIFFERENCE between calories in (food) and calories out (exercise).

Please eat Net calories of at least 1200.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Yes...my sister was on the "Dr. Assisted Diet" with the B12 shot, Adipex, and 50 calorie a day limit. She was walking every day for at least 20 min. She dropped 55 lbs in 4 1/2 months. She is recovering from a mini-stroke right now. She had it a few days ago, at the age of 27!!!! Her Potassium level and Electrolytes were almost non-existentent. I would not advise you doing this, at all.

What type of doctor would assist in this type of diet?! 50 cals? No one can survive on that!
  • curlygirly80
    curlygirly80 Posts: 176
    Options

Is this a troll post?

Yes....Yes it is

Whats a troll post?
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    You already know it isn't healthy, which is why you are posting.

Seems a bit pointless really. Most of the loss is water weight, and it isn't something you can sustain for life, and you will most likely gain back everything you lose and more if you ever start eating normally again, and if you don't eat normally again, well... But if you wish to end up in hospital attached to a drip one day, then it is your call.
This discussion has been closed.